Your First Look at Modern Warfare 2's Multiplayer

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Your First Look at Modern Warfare 2's Multiplayer

Infinity Ward has revealed the first footage of Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer mode, showcasing a new feature they're calling "customized killstreaks."

Since when do game developers reveal the absurd [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93130-Updated-Modern-Warfare-2s-Ridiculous-Prestige-Edition] collector's edition(s) of a game before even unveiling something as significant as the multiplayer modes for said game? Especially considering this is the sequel to one of the most popular online multiplayer games this generation, I think we should really be angry about this.

Though, I guess we can't really be mad now because Infinity Ward has just revealed the first footage of the multiplayer portion of the Modern Warfare 2 recipe for success, and it's pretty impressive. It's a bit short on info, though: the main thing to take away (I'm sure you guys will notice dozens more things than this) is the addition of what Infinity Ward calls "customized killstreaks" which allow you to "unlock and personalize your killstreak loadout."

The trailer shows an "Unlock Killstreak" screen with a single available icon for the AC-130, a gunship that you can "be the gunner" of after you've earned a killstreak of 11. Seems that the way it works is you unlock different rewards for different killstreaks, and then choose which ones to bring into battle.

The video then cuts to some footage of multiplayer gunfights showing off all the beautiful explosions and chaos Infinity Ward's engine can produce, and then to a view from the gunner of the AC-130 in what looks essentially like the black-and-white bomber view from the "Death from Above [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bL0su4_S0Q]" mission in the first Modern Warfare. So, you basically get to live out that mission as much as you want...in multiplayer. Excited yet?

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
... *Grumbles* Fine... I'll buy it...
Looking forward to the hate messages for using the gunship. :D

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
DigitalJedl said:
... *Grumbles* Fine... I'll buy it...
Hold the door, i am too ><

I do like the extra xp for the special kills though, that kill at the end is just brilliant! :D

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Looks pretty cool.

Too bad I'm saving my money for Brutal Legend!

[small]...and Scribblenauts...[/small]

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Oh now that is just sexy. Do want.

And what happened at the end there? Apparently he stuck someone with "semtex". I'm going to look up semtex now. (EDIT: Semtex. Nice.)

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Looks cool, but an AC-130? Come on, the player who gets that basically will blow the entire map to pieces...maybe it's just a visual effect though

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
In-joke in that last kill: Fourzerotwo (dude who got owned) is the monicker of IW community guy Robert Bowling (dude made the Prestige Edition video), so yeah, get a chuckle out of that.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
I saw this on their youtube page when it was first posted (rnt I special?).
Also, there are stick grenades, and a revenge system.
SCHWEET

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Ohghay, I theem thoo bhe habbing thumb thrubble thpeaking with all the dhruul cumbing out of my mouf, even though I don't wewwey wike multipwayer, I myght hab thoo gib dis a twy...

Spits

Ok that's better. Holy CRAP, that actually looked pretty impressive! Although I have to agree, that the gunship support mighd piff a foo peeble owff.

Spits again.

The thing is, I'm sure the developers anticipated this, as was apparently evidenced by the last "Payback" screen, and the previous one of the heat seeging mithull tayging oud the gunshibb.

Spits yet again.

All in all, if there's a co-op mission mode I'll be vewwy habby indeebed!

Goes to get some paper towels and a bib

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
This is only the first video, but crap. Looks like I'll have to camp a site for hours to get that beta code.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
blipblop said:
yeay you can destroy stuff (well at least pots and flowers :p )
hey, they said there were be a destructable environment. they didnt say what exactly we would be destroying:p