Modern Warfare 4 Held Hostage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Modern Warfare 4 Held Hostage

A group of gamers with a lot of patience has taken the modernwarfare4.com domain hostage and they're not going to give it up unless Infinity Ward [http://www.infinityward.com/] caves in to their demands.

Sometimes people do things that are "bad" in the technical sense of the word, but also admirable for the way they subvert conventional lines of thinking. Say, for instance, hijacking a domain name for a game that doesn't even exist (but almost certainly will) and then holding it for ransom - not for money, but just for some free stuff.

So it is with Modern Warfare 4, the fourth entry in a franchise that's still comprised of exactly one single game. modernwarfare4.com [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/] and you'll see why.

"Hello Again! After reading recent articles on this site, I have been forced to change our policy on this domain," a message on the site says. "As I have received emails calling me a blackmailer, we have decided to wear balaclavas and make some real demands. If you want to talk - contact [email protected]."

That message is an update of the group's original demand for a "goodwill gesture" in exchange for the domain: A copy of Modern Warfare 4 for every member of the Ziip community. And no, that's not a typo, that's a demand for copies of Modern Warfare 4. These guys are obviously playing the long game.

How will this drama play out? The studio could probably use some kind of cybersquatter law to force the release of the domain, but as long as Ziip maintains "reasonable" demands, hopefully nobody will get the urge to turn this into something ugly. And with Modern Warfare 4 looking like a good prospect for, say, 2013, there's plenty of time for hard negotiations.

Source: Kombo.com [http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=10556]

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
That's really odd. Surely demanding some kind of reimbursement for the insane price of MW2 would be more useful.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Hah, hilarious. I would be interested to see what happens next, but I imagine it will involve a loophole or some kind on Activision's part. If they get those games I would be shocked and dumbfounded.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Why didn't I think of that? That's bloody genius. Sure I would have different Demands but it is a great idea.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
...so they're demanding they skip to games for them ?
I'd rather demand cheaper games now rather than waiting another 4 years for a free one >.>

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I can't wait for Infinity ward to announce the MW series as a trilogy.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
That is...really bizarre. I don't see anything admirable about their actions, though; it seems like they're taking advantage of a technicality in order to make a quick buck off of a company.

findler

Jun 19, 2009
Smart guys, however I would not want to do battle with Activision. Best to ask for something small and do-able (like copies of a game not made yet) if everyone is to leave this intact.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
I don't think Infinity Ward will have a problem using .net or .org or even .iward. This won't work and I don't even think Infinity Ward will make a fourth one, lest it become stagnant.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Well, considering that Internet squatting actually isn't legal, it probably won't be hard for Activision to get them shut down.

Or they'll go the even more amusing route and just use a different URL for their site.

Wanderer1911

Feb 4, 2009
since they are not asking for money that is f-ing awesom. especially for a game that is so far in the future. I hope they get it. Hell, I feel like i should join their community lol

Ginnipe

May 25, 2009
I say we make a website with the name of borderlands 2, or crysis 3, or red faction gurilla 2, or you get the point. One copy to every Escapist, or Escapie, We really need to justify a name for us.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Halfbreed13 said:
Wow, they will just use Modernwarfare4-game.com
Seriously, this whole thing is stupid.
Come on..let them dream o.o..