Gearbox: PC Borderlands "Destroys" Console Versions

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Gearbox: PC Borderlands "Destroys" Console Versions

As far as some things are concerned, Gearbox's Randy Pitchford is not going to beat around the bush about which is the best version of Borderlands to get. The PC version, he says, "destroys" the console versions in more than one field.

When I got a chance to check out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93483-Borderlands-Hands-On] Borderlands a couple weeks ago, I came away reasonably impressed. One thing I didn't get to address in my frantic rush to describe everything relevant about the game's shoot-n-loot gameplay, however, was the fact that the game didn't look exactly as good as Gearbox had been boasting it to. It still looked good, just not as good I'd been expecting.

That might have been because I was playing the Xbox 360 version of the game, however. According to Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, when it comes to graphics, there really is no comparison to be made. The PC version, Pitchford says, "destroys all the console versions in terms of the image fidelity - assuming you have the hardware for it."

Not that the console version doesn't have anything going for it. In the end, for Pitchford, the choice might just come down to questions of comfort and convenience. "On one level I do like sitting on my couch with the surround sound and the wireless controller, on the other level I mean you will not get a better-looking image than in the PC version of the game," he said. "And when you're playing a first-person shooter, the mouse and keyboard interface is still the best way to go. It's a tough thing."

Console vs. PC. Pitchford seems like he could go either way when it comes to that eternal struggle, but as for another battle of the titans, he has a pretty definitive answer. Asked who would win in a fight between CliffyB and Gabe Newell, Pitchford said this: "Wow. Uh. I'm gonna go with Cliffy on that. Cliffy would chainsaw him in half. Gabe's gibs would be awesome, though."

[Via Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/05/rps-interrogation-randy-pitchford-vs-the-fans/]]

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I would hope it would look better on a thousand dollar plus PC rig than a four hundred dollar game console.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
In terms of hardware a PC will always be better than a console its just a fact, so something like this isn't at all surprising. But it really comes down to preference after all graphics aren't everything by any means and if you can't handle a minor downgrade then you need to go elsewhere.

In terms of input it again comes down to what you like more, personally I've spent so long with a mouse and keyboard I can't look back and when I'm playing anything on a friends console I'm usually pretty terrible. But that works the other way as Psychosocial says, I'm sure plenty of people enjoy a controllers feedback (rumbling, etc) over a PC's mouse and keyboard interface.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Psychosocial

I was one of the best player in battlefield bad company (xbox 360 version) and I still told that gamepad is nothing compared to mouse. As first you can't aim quick vs mouse (this is needed only in quick games like quake 3, unreal...).

About comfort this all depends on the pearsons I have xbox connected to pc monitor as I have a far comfortable chair than than any other place (my spine is a little off position so sofa... doesn't fell god for me).

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Pc versions have always been much better unless they are bad ports. Still dont see how people can use controllers for FPS's

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
johnman said:
Pc versions have always been much better unless they are bad ports. Still dont see how people can use controllers for FPS's
I can't see how people can use the keyboard to move. The mouse is defintitely better for aiming, you can't deny that, but moving with the keyboard just feels clunky and un-responsive.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Well, if Valve has taught me anything, it's that you should always get the PC version because you get lots cool mods and free stuff to play with.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Psychosocial said:
destroyer2k said:
Psychosocial

I was one of the best player in battlefield bad company (xbox 360 version) and I still told that gamepad is nothing compared to mouse. As first you can't aim quick vs mouse (this is needed only in quick games like quake 3, unreal...).

About comfort this all depends on the pearsons I have xbox connected to pc monitor as I have a far comfortable chair than than any other place (my spine is a little off position so sofa... doesn't fell god for me).
If you want to aim quick, you can usually change the sensitivity. :p Oh and instead of being able to aim quickly, we can do much more precise aiming. :p
More precision than a mouse? Heh, no. Moving your thumb with precision versus moving an arm and hand, it doesn't work that way. You can up sensativity, but mouse will win out.

Also, asking who'd win between Gabe and Cliffy is hysterical.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I guess this is no surprise. A two thousand dollar PC is obviously gonna play a better version of the same game. I'm still not using a keyboard though. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME, DAMNIT.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Psychosocial said:
If you draw a dot on your PC screen, and I draw one on my tv, I bet you that I could shoot the middle of it faster in a FPS on 360 than you could on PC. Not because I'm good or anything, but because of the fact that if you know what you're doing, and isn't just one of those people who've played FPS on console twice and says it sucks, it's easier to get precision aiming on console.
It's a trick! you will keep spinning and spinning forever and ever the dot will be forever out of your reach as your view changes but the dot stays on that same part of your screen!

This game is looking really good, i'll be getting it on pc as it is what I prefer, im sure it will be great on both though.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
Well, was there ever any doubt PC is king for shooting games? Aiming with a joystick is so frustratingly bad. I'd like to see someone do a quick 180 and score a headshot on a console. There's a good reason why so many console games give you aiming help.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Jennacide said:
Psychosocial said:
destroyer2k said:
Psychosocial

If you want to aim quick, you can usually change the sensitivity. :p Oh and instead of being able to aim quickly, we can do much more precise aiming. :p
More precision than a mouse? Heh, no. Moving your thumb with precision versus moving an arm and hand, it doesn't work that way. You can up sensativity, but mouse will win out.

Also, asking who'd win between Gabe and Cliffy is hysterical.
If you draw a dot on your PC screen, and I draw one on my tv, I bet you that I could shoot the middle of it faster in a FPS on 360 than you could on PC. Not because I'm good or anything, but because of the fact that if you know what you're doing, and isn't just one of those people who've played FPS on console twice and says it sucks, it's easier to get precision aiming on console.
Yes you are right that you can get more precision on gamepade but the trick is this only imply if you are not moving and go for non moving targets. I could prove that mouse is more precice but people still don't belive. And what really maters in god games is quick weapons switch and no gamepad is design for this thing.

And the last point is that console games have 90% of them auto aim (in some games is just minor) so if you almoast hit the other player the game will register as a hit (halo 3 multiplayer has this).