Gearbox: PC Borderlands "Destroys" Console Versions

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
I just realized how similar this game looks to Fallout 3.

This probably doesn't count much for the gamepad vs. mouse argument, but I can noscope easier with a mouse than scope with a gamepad, yet with the mouse sensitivity I play on, I need about an inch of movement to do a full 360.

Also, PC gamers don't need autoaim :)

Psychosocial said:
destroyer2k said:
Psychosocial said:
Jennacide said:
Psychosocial said:
destroyer2k said:
Psychosocial

I was one of the best player in battlefield bad company (xbox 360 version) and I still told that gamepad is nothing compared to mouse. As first you can't aim quick vs mouse (this is needed only in quick games like quake 3, unreal...).

About comfort this all depends on the pearsons I have xbox connected to pc monitor as I have a far comfortable chair than than any other place (my spine is a little off position so sofa... doesn't fell god for me).
If you want to aim quick, you can usually change the sensitivity. :p Oh and instead of being able to aim quickly, we can do much more precise aiming. :p
More precision than a mouse? Heh, no. Moving your thumb with precision versus moving an arm and hand, it doesn't work that way. You can up sensativity, but mouse will win out.

Also, asking who'd win between Gabe and Cliffy is hysterical.
If you draw a dot on your PC screen, and I draw one on my tv, I bet you that I could shoot the middle of it faster in a FPS on 360 than you could on PC. Not because I'm good or anything, but because of the fact that if you know what you're doing, and isn't just one of those people who've played FPS on console twice and says it sucks, it's easier to get precision aiming on console.
Yes you are right that you can get more precision on gamepade but the trick is this only imply if you are not moving and go for non moving targets. I could prove that mouse is more precice but people still don't belive. And what really maters in god games is quick weapons switch and no gamepad is design for this thing.

And the last point is that console games have 90% of them auto aim (in some games is just minor) so if you almoast hit the other player the game will register as a hit (halo 3 multiplayer has this).
You can turn auto aim off in almost all games, so come on. It's not even nearly as bad as you say it is. I'm actually rather interested in hearing how you would prove that mouse beats controller.
There are people who can aim perfectly with crazy high sensitivity with a mouse. I've played with both, and a gamepad is just too awkward to aim with. I think a mouse is more accurate.

A gamepad is too slow on a workable sensitivity, and is too inaccurate with a high sensitivity.
A mouse doesn't need to return to the center after you look somewhere; it's like what Yahtzee said: a "point and click adventure". It's relatively much easier to aim with a high sensitivity, especially to people who use a mouse on the computer every day and get a good feel for the mouse and its speed.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
johnman said:
Pc versions have always been much better unless they are bad ports. Still dont see how people can use controllers for FPS's
I can't see how people can use the keyboard to move. The mouse is defintitely better for aiming, you can't deny that, but moving with the keyboard just feels clunky and un-responsive.
If thats how you feel then fair enough, but I feel you just cant beat the sheer amount of control options the keyboard offers. You cant even lean in most console shooters, which I find vital for games like Stalker Crysis and Call of Duty.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Psychosocial said:
You can turn auto aim off in almost all games, so come on. It's not even nearly as bad as you say it is. I'm actually rather interested in hearing how you would prove that mouse beats controller.
It would be quite easy, hook a 360 gamepad to a PC and have the other with a Keyboard and mouse. Play any deathmatch style game both players are good at and both players take it in turns to use input methods. If one wins by a clear margin you have your victor.
You would have to do this multiple times with different people, and ask which was their favourite after as well.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Must be a decent port, then.

And why drag CliffyB anywhere near his game?. Doesn't he want us to buy it?.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
If you have the right hardware just about any game "should" look better on a Pc then a console...As far as the whole controller vs. keyboard debate going on in here; I use my controller to play shooters on my PC sometimes and I hardly notice any difference in how I do then when I just use my mouse & keyboard. And i do have a gaming mouse and keyboard so you'd think if there was some huge advantage like people claim I would see it, but i don't. I do just as well using a controller as using a mouse & keyboard. Controllers better imo because I can back away from my screen, lean my chair back, and get nice and comfortable.

jrr

Aug 5, 2009
You guys have very fixed definitions of what a PC is. I have one in a shiny black HTPC case, plugged into my receiver, surround sound, and projector. I have an xbox 360 controller connected to it.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Why does the idea that a pc costs $1000+ keep popping up.

ALIENWARE IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE FOR THE PRICE OF GAMING PC'S

On my $450(at the time of purchase) PC my games look significantly better then on my brother's $700(at the time of purchase) PS3.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Good to know that there still exists a fairly big company or two who is willing to develop for the PC as the primary platform despite the fact we're apparently rife with piracy.

Tinblitz

Jun 16, 2009
I've got to say, the graphics thing doesn't overly bother me. The graphics on my Xbox will be good enough for this poster. And to be honest, I've alway's preferred a controller over a keyboard for games (excluding RTS's), so lack of a computer isn't going to inconviniencem either.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I wish I could play deathmatch in some fps against gamepad users with my mouse + keyboard. Would be fun to pwn everyone.

I'm worried that this game may have mouse smoothing + mouse acceleration hardcoded into it, as has been the case with quite a few console + pc games recently (Bioshock, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3) Some games it's not too bad like in F3, which isn't even that faced paced, but Bioshock was virtually unplayable without a 360 controller.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Yes well at least i dont need to buy 1000 euros worth of graphics cards every year, i long ago gave up the computer space race, im stuck with my vista 32-bit by choice, it probably wouldnt run this anyway.

besides graphics doesnt bother me much, i thought it would

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
xbox is also full of piracy but nobody complains (heck, it's even easier to make a copy of 360 game than a pc game)

Also, I agree with Asehujiko

apoktaino

Aug 4, 2009
Rigs83 said:
I would hope it would look better on a thousand dollar plus PC rig than a four hundred dollar game console.
Yeah I gotta agree with that, my PC is the only thing that saved my opinion of, Mirrors edge and Bionic Commando

shifty89

Jul 21, 2009
its nice to hear a developer actually standing up for the pc. Though a console ay have made things easier, i just have always prefered my games on the pc. Also for any game where the mouse and keyboard aint ideal there always the windows xbox pad...

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Psychosocial said:
johnman said:
Psychosocial said:
It would be quite easy, hook a 360 gamepad to a PC and have the other with a Keyboard and mouse. Play any deathmatch style game both players are good at and both players take it in turns to use input methods. If one wins by a clear margin you have your victor.
You would have to do this multiple times with different people, and ask which was their favourite after as well.
Or both players just play Shadowrun, though I think that game has heavy auto aim, but still. Though I don't really think that your theory would work, since if you're not used to playing FPS on console, you will have serious issues aiming, and not the other way around.
There is no perfect test for comparison (even if you can get both control schemes in use in a single game) because any game will have been made with a particular control scheme in mind. It may support controller and KB/M, but given how different the two schemes are, how can they possibly have catered to both? They supported one, and then maybe they "support" the other.

In the end, there is no way to rationally argue that one method is somehow inherently better than the other, except arguing about a very specific, constrained example, or stating a personal preference. No one likes couching these things in terms of "I prefer" because they need to be "right", and everyone else uses a specific, constrained example to prove their point while the opposition uses a DIFFERENT constrained example to prove theirs. (Trains are better than cars because they are more fuel-efficient, and cars can't drive where trains go. Oh yeah? Well cars are better than trains because they don't need special-purpose rails built along their entire path... rinse, repeat, ad infinitum, ad nauseum)

I hate all of you.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Psychosocial said:
If you draw a dot on your PC screen, and I draw one on my tv, I bet you that I could shoot the middle of it faster in a FPS on 360 than you could on PC. Not because I'm good or anything, but because of the fact that if you know what you're doing, and isn't just one of those people who've played FPS on console twice and says it sucks, it's easier to get precision aiming on console.
I'm not thrilled by the implication that I've barely played FPS games on consoles. I've put as much time in console shooters as PC ones, and thinking that your thumb has more precision than an entire limb is borderline insane. So unless you're special and have Super Thumb, no, it cannot be done.