Johnny Cash Makes Game Debut in Guitar Hero 5

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Johnny Cash Makes Game Debut in Guitar Hero 5

Activision has announced that the late country legend Johnny Cash will be making his way onto consoles as a playable character in Guitar Hero 5.

Okay, wait. Stop right there. I know what (many of) you all are thinking, "But I hate country music!" I don't care, because it's Johnny Cash, and Johnny Cash is awesome. Even people who don't like country music like Johnny Cash, all right?

Good, glad we got that out of the way. Anyway! The late Cash will be joining fellow legend Carlos Santana and, um, not-quite-so-legendary Shirley Manson (of Garbage fame) as real-world musicians appearing in Guitar Hero 5. Cash will be an unlockable character along with the "Electric Honky Tonk Bar" venue - to quote the press release below:

[blockquote]Multiple Grammy Award winner, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee and legendary singer-songwriter Johnny Cash will be introduced to an all new audience this fall as he makes his video game debut as a playable character in the highly anticipated Guitar Hero® 5. Cash's virtual image will live on as Guitar Hero players can rock out on any instrument controller to "Ring Of Fire," and even unlock the ability to strum and sing along as the "Man in Black" himself in the all-new Electric Honky Tonk Bar venue. Cash joins the ever-growing list of playable in-game artists announced for Guitar Hero 5.[/blockquote]

Cash was best-known for his distinctive deep voice, his dark clothing - which earned him the nickname "Man in Black" - and a rebellious and anti-authoritarian streak that many believe influenced the growth of the punk rock movement. As mentioned above, "Ring of Fire [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2iv_E-Fn9E]" will be playable in GH5, but you know what? I think they should just cut to the chase and release Guitar Hero: Johnny Cash. No reason not to, right?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I don't get why people hate Country Music so much, I like it on occasion, and I'm like a celebrity at school after I sang "Ring of Fire" at a talent show. I have a video of me singing it, and I'd post it if I weren't so paranoid.

It became like a meme of itself...

But bitterness against Activision takes over, most likely this will be pushed aside for Guitar Hero 6 with......uh......I dunno, I don't know any rock band members!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
This is a good thing; alongside Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash is one of the few country musicians I can actually STAND to listen to.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I hope he's gona say "hi I'm Johnny Cash" before each gig in the game too, cause if he doesn't... now that would just be wrong.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Takes the term flogging a dead horse to a whole new level.

How did they work this out, which one of Cash's descendents though the best way to honour the man in black was to put him in a video game?

Another bastion of artistic integrity falls, God bless Pink Floyd and Led Zeppilin is all I can say

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I really don't want to buy this game but I'm finding it hard to resist the temptation of playing as Johnny Cash.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Oh thank the gods! Will they let you play Folsom Prison Blues?

It's kind of funny, I'm wearing a Johnny Cash "Outlaw Music" t-shirt right now.

Leesee

Aug 9, 2009
I love Johnny Cash. The other day I saw a post on a thread that said "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die." and I couldn't help but smile.
But I think this is great for Guitar Hero to do it adds diversity to the game.

Jul 9, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
This is a good thing; alongside Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash is one of the few country musicians I can actually STAND to listen to.
Well, Dylan is more Folk, but I see your point, I tend to classify them the same in my head too.

Anyway, anyone heard Cash's album that was released posthumously? Amazing, I still listen to it to this day.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
this is a huge topic for activision? right up there with "everyone hate's us right now",and, "we are seen as the gaming company equvillent of saten"?

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Pipotchi said:
Takes the term flogging a dead horse to a whole new level.

How did they work this out, which one of Cash's descendents though the best way to honour the man in black was to put him in a video game?

Another bastion of artistic integrity falls, God bless Pink Floyd and Led Zeppilin is all I can say
Yeah, let's bless PF and LZ for holding onto some pretentious "hurr durr im TOO GOOD to be in a video game!" attitude. They're definitely to be admired, because everyone knows Guitar Hero destroys music... Er... Somehow.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Why has no-one mentioned the irony of ring of fire being on the 360. Also this is pretty cool news, and once they release the Dylan avatar I will actually buy this

hansari

May 31, 2009
I don't think this will work...

I like Johnny Cash...but how many of his songs are any of us actually gonna play? Like 2...

This will probably end up like other Guitar Hero titles...my friends and I gave it a try but ultimately put in Rock Band after a half-hour...

Dr. Wily III

Jul 27, 2009
Not even Johnny Cash will let me think about buying Guitar Hero 5 after the terrible Song List in 4..

Ring on fire...where the heck did I hear this song before?