Lionhead Puts Up Che Guevara Splash Page

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Lionhead Puts Up Che Guevara Splash Page

Try to make sense of this one: Peter Molyneux's Lionhead Studios has put up a teaser splash page with... famous Argentine revolutionary Che Guevara?

Now, Peter Molyneux is known for being a bit of an oddball much in the same way that a brick isn't very buoyant. Whether it's making a game where you train a giant monkey monster [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_White_(game)], or creating a virtual 12-year-old British boy, Molyneux has always marched to the beat of his own drum.

So I suppose if there's anyone in the industry who might be working on a project involving (in)famous Argentinian revolutionary Che Guevara, it'd be him. Early this morning, the official Lionhead Twitter tweeted [http://twitter.com/LionheadStudios/statuses/3284066074] ... well, just the company's website.

A trip to said website [http://www.lionhead.com/] finds the iconic image of Che (as seen on many a college student's dorm wall), along with a quote: "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love."

Clicking the thumbs up below the image takes you to a page labeled "Followers," while the thumbs down takes you to "Subjects" - though at the moment, the two pages seem to be identical. I can't quite decipher what this all means, though perhaps it's just the idea of a commercial videogame about a famously anti-capitalist revolutionary that boggles my mind.

Oh, there's also a "6" behind the image, so is probably yet another countdown clock. Whatever it is, we might well expect an announcement at next week's Gamescom in Cologne.

(VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/13/gamescom-lionhead-sticks-che-guevara-on-its-site/])

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
A game about the Che, brilliant I say! Can always dream about a RTT - Real time tactics game :O

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I'm quite scared as to what my come out of this. Molyneux's brain is getting crazier by the second!

Black & White 3 anyone?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Capitalist Business men can even profit from marketing Che? God i love them

i always imagined the Capitalist men laughing in a pool of money from making Che T-shirts bought by rebellious Students who want to "Fuck the Capitalist system", ah Irony.

If the games about "the Che" im all in, how they portray his death will be interesting, though i bet sadly it will have nothing to do with Che.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Mezzamine said:
So it's a game where you endlessly re-use an icon until it loses it's meaning?
It's part of his de-risking strategy.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Please tell me this is Fable III, and this is the role Jonathan Ross is meant to be playing.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
I unno'... a game about Cuban Revolution?

I'm really not sure. Moleneux's games are getting nuttier.

Nerples

May 7, 2008
To me, it just seems like a simple advert for hiring at Lionhead. A true revolutionary (Lionhead/Molynuex), is guided by a great feeling of love (for the work they are doing, creating games). Each thumb takes you to a site saying 'We're hiring for a number of exciting roles'. Could it be that simple? P.S. I don't think Molyneux is a revolutionary game developer, but it seems like something he would say, doesn't it?

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Nerples said:
To me, it just seems like a simple advert for hiring at Lionhead. A true revolutionary (Lionhead/Molynuex), is guided by a great feeling of love (for the work they are doing, creating games).
Agreed. I'd like to add some speculation about them announcing some sort of 'free' game as well as a marketing stunt.

CantFaketheFunk said:
Clicking the thumbs up below the image takes you to a page labeled "Followers," while the thumbs down takes you to "Subjects" - though at the moment, the two pages seem to be identical.

Oh, there's also a "6" behind the image, so is probably yet another countdown clock. Whatever it is, we might well expect an announcement at next week's Gamescom in Cologne.
The pages differ, actually. There's a banner that rolls down ever so slightly on each of the pages, and it looks different depending on your choice. Also, one page is red and one's blue.

Also, I read there's 6 days left until Gamescom, so maybe that's what the number's counting down towards?

Thomly

Feb 15, 2009
maybe something mmo...

At the job listings, the link you see first when clicking on a link on the teaser, there is a job listing stating that "Online" is very important for Lionhead.

They don't have an mmo yet, and everyone seems to have made one (or making one) nowadays.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Wow. I wish I had one of those mental doorways from Psychonautsright now, that way I could jump into Molyneux's thick head and find out just what the fuck is going on up there...

Nov 5, 2007
Pandalisk said:

i always imagined the Capitalist men laughing in a pool of money from making Che T-shirts bought by rebellious Students who want to "Fuck the Capitalist system", ah Irony.

If the games about "the Che" im all in, how they portray his death will be interesting, though i bet sadly it will have nothing to do with Che.
The Che is turning in his grave.

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
Pandalisk said:

But of course! What better revenge against a man dedicated to the abolition of commodities than being turned into a commodity himself?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
Pandalisk said:

The Che is turning in his grave.
Bah, Ninja'd by you both!

Yes, I was going to say Che must be spinning in his grave, because not only did Capitalism win, but he was made an example out of by becoming profit for the suits.

frank220

Dec 25, 2008
That Dude With A Face said:
Great! Just what I always wanted, a game about a Marxist pig who pleasured in the death of Americans!!! who know, maybe Lionhead will make my other dream come true, and have me play as Osama Bin Laden, and plot to blow up the World Trade Center!

I have respect 4 Molyneux, but if this is a game glorifying Che Guevara, then I refuse to support any more of his work.

However, Molyneux like an "emotional" experience. And the fact that you choose thumbs up or down, leads me to believe that this game will take place during his reign, and you will have to choose weather to help him or fight him. I would love a game where I would be able to kill Che Guevara. Preferably a nice, messy headshot.....or an explosion....
Because America is the most just and righteous in the world? Did you forget about Custer destroying the Sioux nation? Did you forget about the Trail of Tears, courtesy of President Andrew Jackson? Che was fighting for what he thought was right and what he thought would benefit the people. We killed thousands of Native Americans for fucking land. America isn't the good guy my friend, we're far from it.