BioWare Talks Tech In Mass Effect 2

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Talks Tech In Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2 associate producer Jesse Houston has talked about some of the nuts and bolts of their upcoming sci-fi RPG epic.

Plot details are great and everything - and I defy anyone to read about a fishman assassin and not think it's even a little bit cool - but hearing about the technical aspects of an game, and especially how they will impact on gameplay, carries its own unique thrill. So rejoice then, because Jesse Houston, associate producer for Mass Effect 2, sat down with VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/21/exclusive-vg247-talks-mass-effect-2-with-associate-producer-jesse-houston/] at Gamescon and chatted about some of the technology that powers the game.

Every system in Mass Effect 2 seems to be getting an upgrade, with conversations more fluid and diverse and lighting used to better effect: "We're doing new stuff that we'd never thought about doing before. You know, having conversations in cars, walking, having tons of people in (a conversation). We'd never thought we were going to be able to do conversations with eight guys in them, but we do ... Obviously, there are visual improvements as well. We ripped out the lighting system and put in a new lighting system, and that affects the whole game."

BioWare have also spent time trying to fix some of the issues from the first game. When asked about if the combat controls were more precise now, Houston replied: "Absolutely. It's not just the control system. If you look at most good shooters, they lock down frame-rate at 30FPS: we've done the same thing... You'll feel that the controls, the animation and the FPS combine to make for a faster gameplay experience, and a smoother experience."

Mass Effect 2 is scheduled for release early next year.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/21/exclusive-vg247-talks-mass-effect-2-with-associate-producer-jesse-houston/] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175719]

T3h Merc

Dec 24, 2008
Awesome! I've been waiting for some technology announcement. It'll be at PAX 09 whihc I am going to.

SkylerRock

Apr 19, 2009
If they can fix the AI so your NPC allies don't run directly in front of you during a gunfight they could probably forget about most of the other upgrades. Sorry, just my personal bugbear with an otherwise enjoyable game.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
As long as I'll be able to randomly shove people out of windows when I get bored talking to them, I'm happy.

:D

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
The permalink is broken.

So we don't run painfully slow anymore?
Meh, storming made my head spin, but the slow trot when not in combat made me want to stab someone.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Damn. Looks like this is another game to add to my growing list of sequels I'm waiting for. Damn. It's gonna be 2012 before I've got all of them. And everyone knows that's the end of the world. ^.^

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
As long as they adequately port all these wonderful new features to PC I'm fine with it. Combat in the original ME needed work, so these refinements should hopefully make the game more enjoyable. I like the direction they're going with the conversations too. More moments like the Wrex showdown and we should have one helluva game coming up (I'm of the opinion that ME was very flawed, although good).

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Sweet. I've been waiting for ages for ME2. This just made me want it more.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Conversations? So now we can stare at 8 different wooden, uninteresting dolls spout 12 hours of exposition at once? Hurray!

I'd rather hear about the new level and class mechanics.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Woohoo, looking forward to this.

SkylerRock said:
If they can fix the AI so your NPC allies don't run directly in front of you during a gunfight they could probably forget about most of the other upgrades. Sorry, just my personal bugbear with an otherwise enjoyable game.
Oh...really? I don't think I've ever had this problem. Or if I have, I've not noticed.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
nilcypher said:
"We're doing new stuff that we'd never thought about doing before. You know, having conversations in cars, walking, having tons of people in [a conversation]. We'd never thought we were going to be able to do conversations with eight guys in them, but we do ... Obviously, there are visual improvements as well. We ripped out the lighting system and put in a new lighting system, and that affects the whole game."
Holy...eight?

Man, between this and the flying car conversation, it looks like dialogue cutscenes are going to be pure eyecandy.

And yes, lighting was very dodgy in Mass Effect, so judging from the videos and screenshots I've seen so far, it looks much better.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
When he says they've locked the frame rate does he mean it won't go below or above? Or just stay at 30 constantly?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
T3h Merc said:
Awesome! I've been waiting for some technology announcement. It'll be at PAX 09 whihc I am going to.

EDIT: Firsties!

...Sorry
I dunno why anyone cares if they're first to reply to a forum/youtube/etc post, you could just yell it out loud and get the same effect I'd say. I mean you even apologized for it so you know what you're doing is silly, sooo why do it?

I'm eager for Mass Effect 2 but after the elevator rides from the first one I'm more eager to get it for PC this time around, the only problem being is my lovely save data is on my 360.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Avykins said:
Eh lets just hope they fixed the goddamn crashing issues this time.
With you there. I didn't get it nearly as bad as some people but having to repeat an entire planet because the game crashed at the loading screen heading back to the Normandy was nerdrage inducing.

Especially when it happened the second time.

*rage*

gtez

Apr 8, 2009
Woodsey said:
When he says they've locked the frame rate does he mean it won't go below or above? Or just stay at 30 constantly?
That means it will be at or above 30 FPS. That's what I meant when I said it at least :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
gtez said:
Woodsey said:
That means it will be at or above 30 FPS. That's what I meant when I said it at least :)
Oh right , thanks. Was gonna say it wouldn't make sense to lock it at 30 or below!