Gore Verbinski Drops Out of BioShock Film

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gore Verbinski Drops Out of BioShock Film

The BioShock [http://www.bioshockgame.com/] film appears to be moving forward but it will do so without director Gore Verbinski, who has dropped out of the project as a result of the decision to make the movie overseas.

Verbinski topped $160 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83749-Take-Two-Signs-BioShock-Movie-Deal], led Paramount executives to look at the less expensive option of filming overseas, putting production into a "holding pattern" and leading Verbinski to say, "I'm weighing whether I can physically go the U.K. or Australia or one of those other places with a tax rebate for a year-and-a-half."

Paramount is apparently determined to take advantage of the cheaper locations overseas and Verbinski has decided he can't follow, saying he's committed to directing the upcoming animated film 28 Weeks Later [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1192628/]. Verbinski will remain involved with the film as a producer.

I have no doubt that hordes of gamers will be up in arms over Verbinsk's departure but I don't see it as a major blow. The Ring [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298130/] was a remake and while the first Pirates of the Caribbean was amusing enough, the sequels were tedious and insipid. He may be a "big name" but he doesn't strike me as an especially big talent, so handing the reins to a relative unknown seems more like a sideways shuffle than an actual step back.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007622.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562]

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
28 Weeks Later had fairly good cinematography. While he wouldn't be my first choice, he seems pretty solid.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
As long as the director is devoted to the source material (game), then I'll be happy. But I'm still struggling to envision what kind of plot this movie is gonna have.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
I think the style of charging rage-infected in "28 Weeks Later" will translate pretty well with the Splicers. If they maintain the script fairly close to the game's plot, it should be a slam-dunk as long as there's someone directing with a pulse.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Well, the director sounds good, but you know what I'd really like?

28 Months Later. Get crackin', Danny Boyle!

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
I like Pirates 1, 2 AND 3. Ring not so much. Had like... 1 actually scary scene (the sequence in which she goes into the well and finds the fingernails).
That said, video game movies continue to hurt me non-stop so I'm actually hoping this never gets made. The only good video-game-movie series was the Resident Evil series and I've only ever played RE4 so I had nothing to compare them to.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Less game movies and more movie movies. Game stories are designed in such a way that the fun of them is the player interaction. They lose all their luster when you stretch them into a two hour feature that has no interaction.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Could they actually make a movie of Jack going down there alone and walking through every area just setting things on fire? I could only imagine a Bioshock prequel first before that happens, all about the civil war in Rapture.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I could see this movie being like Eden Log, but better. Eden Log was a good concept with poor execution. Hopefully, Bioshock won't be the same.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Malygris said:
Verbinski has decided he can't follow, saying he's committed to directing the upcoming animated film Rango [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1192628/].
According to IMDB, Rango = "A household pet goes on an adventure to discover its true self."

....okay?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
What's this about probably not liking 28 Weeks Later (I take it that was what you were getting at)?

I thought that was a great film. Anyway, possibly filming Bioshock in the UK? They could always come and film it in the Clyde...:p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MarsProbe said:
What's this about probably not liking 28 Weeks Later (I take it that was what you were getting at)?

I thought that was a great film. Anyway, possibly filming Bioshock in the UK? They could always come and film it in the Clyde...:p
Everyone I've ever talked to hates that movie. Not sure why, either, as I rather enjoyed it. Maybe it's just in comparison to 28 Days Later? I mean, I think they're both good, they're just different.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Everyone I've ever talked to hates that movie. Not sure why, either, as I rather enjoyed it. Maybe it's just in comparison to 28 Days Later? I mean, I think they're both good, they're just different.
I've not known anyone to actually hate 28 Weeks Later, personally. I thought both films were equally good, though you wonder what they could do different for "28 Months Later", which will be at least partially set in Paris if the end of the second film is anything to go by. Rage-infected elephants, perhaps?

Not that I know that I know if there will actually be a third film, or if it would even have such a blatantly obvious name...:)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm with Proteus on this one; less game movies and more movie movies. Seeing the story of Rapture unfold before me without being able to sort of... touch it, whilst compacting it into a 2-3 hour long cutscene seems like a poor way to get immersed.

Some things simply tranlate better in videogames, and yet the movie industry is being driven blindly by its lust for all that gold and attention the game industry seems to be getting these days...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MarsProbe said:
Susan Arendt said:
I've not known anyone to actually hate 28 Weeks Later, personally. I thought both films were equally good, though you wonder what they could do different for "28 Months Later", which will be at least partially set in Paris if the end of the second film is anything to go by. Rage-infected elephants, perhaps?

Not that I know that I know if there will actually be a third film, or if it would even have such a blatantly obvious name...:)
But if it's 28 months after 28 weeks later...that's two and a bit years. The end of 28 weeks later had the infected running around Paris, so we have to assume we'd be looking at "the last bastions of humanity" in Europe rather than full cities of people.

And Madagascar.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Films based on games seem to have quite bad luck, what with the Halo movie pretty much dead in the water right now. Let's see how this one turns out.

Arkengetorix

Mar 21, 2009
28 weeks later isn't a bad movie it just makes no sense in the context of the first movie. Most people don't count it as canon and neither do I.