Sony Still Losing Money on PS3 Slim

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Still Losing Money on PS3 Slim

Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai confirmed in an interview that the new PS3 Slim is being sold at a loss, but said Sony's overall game business is in good shape and making money.

It's no great secret that Sony's been taking a bath on the PlayStation 3 since the day it was released, despite the system's not-quite-consumer-friendly price tag. News that the smaller, lighter PS3 Slim would debut at $299 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93974-Sony-Reveals-PS3-Slim-Drops-PS3-Prices-to-299] (and that current PS3 models would also be reduced to the same point) had optimists wondering if maybe the company had figured out a way to make a little money on these things, but it can't be any great surprise that Hirai says that's still not the case.

"If you're just talking about the hardware alone, the quick answer is yes," he said when asked in an interview with the Times Online [http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6808050.ece] if the PS3 Slim was being sold at a loss. "That makes good headlines, but I don't actually know that that's the true nature of the business that we're all in, whether it's PlayStation, Xbox or the Wii. I think the better indicator is to look at the business as a whole platform, to ask: Are you profitable in terms of the hardware, software and peripherals. And the answer to that question is yes on a gross profit level since the last fiscal year."

A desire to "reset the thinking" for consumers and also internally at Sony was symbolized by the new PS3 logo, he said. "We wanted to make sure that we set a new direction for the PS3. The PS logo with the capital P and small S has always been our logo, has always been synonymous with video games and I wanted to reset the thinking," he explained. "On a practical level, when you have PlayStation 3 spelled out, the aspect ratio was such that if you wanted it on a billboard it became tiny. It didn't work in terms of visibility."

He added that the launch of the new PlayStation wasn't a response to any failures in the original console, but rather a culmination of various technological improvements that Sony wanted to offer its customers. "We wanted to pass the cost savings on to our consumers, in the new price point as well," he said. "We also felt it was the right time in terms of the great line-up of software titles we have coming out."

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well there's no surprise there. And you try and say they are idiots to tell people that there will be no BC in their PS3s? The PS2s are still generating profit!

It is working though, they are selling fast, but I wonder for how long? I was thinking this would have been a better idea to do at around Christmas time, but if you can get the same sales boom that you would at Christmas only a few months early, it's all good.

And that interview went on for longer than it had to, the PS3 logo? Really?

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
It's a shame for Sony, that their only strategical option is to lower the price, which appeared to have not worked so well.

Anyways, your little doggeh has got a hat o.o...

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
yeh but PS3 have got some games coming out that finally make best use of the technology. or at least are worth looking forward to

MAG, that murder mystery game, gran turismo!

Saylek

Dec 12, 2008
Well I guess that's why people like me buy a Xbox 360 or a PC. I myself have a Laptop. For such a high price I wouldn't consider buying the PS3 until the price drops another 60-80 euros. Most of the good game are released for more than one console and its only games like MGS4, or Lair, or another exclusive which would make me want to own a ps3.
p.s. wow your dog has a hat hi5!

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
How is it news that Sony sells it's consoles for a loss. If I am not mistaken they have sold all consoles at a loss making sure that games and peripherals made glorious amounts of money for them. I am confident that Sony will still show profit even with the loss for each individual console. I haven't yet made the update to the PS3 over my PS2, however I do understand that when I do they will make whatever loss they have by me getting a PS3 up in the games and controllers that I purchase.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
this is no surprise to me, i own a PS3 but i really dont even play that many games for it. i find the choices lacking and the PSN online is lame.
i dunno, i hope sony pulls something out of their butt

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I don't find this suprising. The PS3 is more of a Blu-Ray Player than a games console, as adding a Blu-Ray Player raises the price by about £250/£300.

The fact that the majority of good games come out on multiple consoles (Call of Duty 4, Team Fortress 2, GTA4, etc) and the PC, why buy a PS3 for £500 when I can buy a 360 to play (In my opinion) betetr exclusive titles like Mass Effect or Left 4 Dead (I know those are ont he PC, but I think you all get my point) along with all of the good multi-platform titles (GTA4, Prototype).

If sony wanted to make and sell a console, they would have not added a Blu-Ray Player, and have got more Developers to make exclusive titles for the PS3.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
A great way for them to make money would be for them to put backwards compatibility back into the PS3, fix PSN online, and try to get more exclusives for the system.

Hopefully the new batch of PS3 exclusives coming out this year will help them make more money.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
This is what I have been saying all along. You sell it at a loss and reap the money that comes in on peripherals and games sales that you will now make from all those extra consoles out there.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Pulse Reality said:
I don't find this suprising. The PS3 is more of a Blu-Ray Player than a games console, as adding a Blu-Ray Player raises the price by about £250/£300.

The fact that the majority of good games come out on multiple consoles (Call of Duty 4, Team Fortress 2, GTA4, etc) and the PC, why buy a PS3 for £500 when I can buy a 360 to play (In my opinion) betetr exclusive titles like Mass Effect or Left 4 Dead (I know those are ont he PC, but I think you all get my point) along with all of the good multi-platform titles (GTA4, Prototype).

If sony wanted to make and sell a console, they would have not added a Blu-Ray Player, and have got more Developers to make exclusive titles for the PS3.
You pretty much summed up me reasons for not buying one.

That said, I do like the look of the new PS3 slim. They just need a few more exclusives and should have included backwards compatibility.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Saylek said:
Well I guess that's why people like me buy a Xbox 360 or a PC. I myself have a Laptop. For such a high price I wouldn't consider buying the PS3 until the price drops another 60-80 euros.
except you get 1 or 2 years of live and you've now paid more for your 360 than the ps3 and you have to put up with ads for on your dashboard as well

maybe now the people complaining about lack of bc will stop a bit, considering putting it in would cause them to lose even more money

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Pulse Reality said:

That said, I do like the look of the new PS3 slim. They just need a few more exclusives and should have included backwards compatibility.
Oh yes, even though I'm a 360 Fanboy, I would buy a PS3 if it had some better exclusive titles. And backwards compatability; I'm dying to play Beyond Good an Evil again.

Although, I do really hate the Playstation controller. It just feels uncomfortable, unlike the 360 controller, which I do have to say is the most comfortable controller I have ever held.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Pulse Reality said:
Machines Are Us said:
Pulse Reality said:

Oh yes, even though I'm a 360 Fanboy, I would buy a PS3 if it had some better exclusive titles. And backwards compatability; I'm dying to play Beyond Good an Evil again.

Although, I do really hate the Playstation controller. It just feels uncomfortable, unlike the 360 controller, which I do have to say is the most comfortable controller I have ever held.
There are only a couple of PS3 games I'd like so it isn't worth the money for me at the moment, maybe in a couple of years...

It's funny because when the PS2 and Xbox were the newest thing everyone hated the XB controller because it was so frigging huge, now I find the 360 is about right and the PS2/3 is too small.

Saylek

Dec 12, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
Saylek said:
Well I guess that's why people like me buy a Xbox 360 or a PC. I myself have a Laptop. For such a high price I wouldn't consider buying the PS3 until the price drops another 60-80 euros.
except you get 1 or 2 years of live and you've now paid more for your 360 than the ps3 and you have to put up with ads for on your dashboard as well

maybe now the people complaining about lack of bc will stop a bit, considering putting it in would cause them to lose even more money
true true, ps3 aint bad its just too expensive. in fact if the launch price was the same as the 360's or maybe even slighly higher then i think ps3 would have way more popularity and game developers would start flooding the ps3 with more titles. the high price ruined the bright future the pse could of had.

p.s. by the way I'm a PC person since PC kicks all console ass in every way :D

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Pulse Reality said:
Machines Are Us said:
Pulse Reality said:

There are only a couple of PS3 games I'd like so it isn't worth the money for me at the moment, maybe in a couple of years...

It's funny because when the PS2 and Xbox were the newest thing everyone hated the XB controller because it was so frigging huge, now I find the 360 is about right and the PS2/3 is too small.
There are a few games I would like that are PS3 exclusives (Maybe inFamous, I think that's PS3 Exclusive, anyway), but the majority of ones people would recomend, like Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4 or Haze, I have all played and disliked each one of them (Well, I was tolerant of MGS4, but LBP, for me anyway, got boring so quickly. I actually can't stand it when anyone say's it's a good game!).

And I've never really like the Playstation Controller at all. I always found it so uncomfortable.

Saylek

Dec 12, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
Pulse Reality said:
Machines Are Us said:
Pulse Reality said:

i think this is the case where xbox and playstation owners are not swearing/insulting each other becouse their console is better/worse... amazing we are actually communicating like calm pc and mac owners. (ew macs)