Chinese Inventor Builds Oil Barrel Submarine

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Chinese Inventor Builds Oil Barrel Submarine

Proving that a bit of determination can go a long way, 34-year-old amateur Chinese inventor Tao Xiangli has built a functional electric submarine.

Utilizing old oil barrels and second-hand tools, Xiangli spent two years and 30,000 yuan (the equivalent of $4,385 USD) constructing the sub, which, according to China Daily [http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-09/03/content_8653027.htm], comes equipped with a periscope, electric motor, two propellers, and a depth control tank.

Xiangli has acquired government permission to test his sub in a lake outside of Beijing, and is currently trying his hardest not to sink.

Reading the report on what features the sub supports, I notice one glaring omission: An onboard air supply. Unless "Tao Xiangli" is Chinese for Aquaman, don't expect him to be trolling the Marianas Trench for signs of the Old Gods, or launching nukes off the coast of Vladivostok. Still, this is way more impressive than the volcano you built out of Papier-mâché in the third grade.

(Via dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/regular-joe-bui.php])

(Image [http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-09/03/content_8653027.htm])

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
"Shortly after unveiling his submarine, Tao expressed his interest to attach a drill with black powder charges and attempt to sink a wooden sailing ship."

(Props to whoever gets that.)

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
I can't help be in awe of the seemingly infinite Asian innovation, and yet wonder "why?"

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Strategia said:
"Shortly after unveiling his submarine, Tao expressed his interest to attach a drill with black powder charges and attempt to sink a wooden sailing ship."

I kinda thought this resembled the Turtle. :)

hansari

May 31, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Xiangli has acquired government permission to test his sub in a lake outside of Beijing, and is currently trying his hardest not to sink.
Oh so tounge-in-cheek...

Seriously though...all his Asian brethren [http://hubpages.com/hub/Giant-Gundam-Statue-Unveiling--Odaiba-Park] are busy building robots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94547-South-Koreas-Giant-Robot-Statue-to-Dwarf-Japans] and this is what he does for China?

Jan 29, 2009
Strategia said:

Nice.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
That barrel reminds me of the dinky submarines you get in the various 2d Final fantasy games.

Earnest Cavalli said:
This is way more impressive than the volcano you built out of Papier-mâché in the third grade.
You obviously aren't familiar with my Papier-mâché volcanoes.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
shii. I said back in the day, all china has to do to conquer the US is to give everyone a raft and a pitch fork, and even 1% of them making it here alive would be a 100:1 war!

I know this guys plan...

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
shortly after the unveiling he decides to show off his auto pilot feature. Unfortunately his autopilot was so great that it developed sentience and drowned the pilot.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
That thing looks cramped, but other than that it looks better than my boat (rowboat).

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Strategia said:

tsb247 said:
Strategia said:

I kinda thought this resembled the Turtle. :)
Aw you beat me to it.

But how is he going to properly test this thing without a supply of air?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I think he needs to find a girlfriend. I wonder what he does if the sub springs a leak? Does he close the main bulkhead or does he use some glue to plug the hole? Oh well, best of luck their skipper.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They should send the construction plans to North Korea. It could help a lot of people escape that sh*thole.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
The lack of onboard air is a bit strange.
Besides which, motorized submersibles designed to be piloted by scuba divers already exist.
Admittedly, they don't have the WH40K aesthetic of this thing. Not trying to belittle it or anything, don't get me wrong.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
Strategia said:

Wasn't there some nutty old scheme to do exactly that with some primitive submarines in some European war?

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
That's cool, but $4385? Is the interior gold-plated or something? Seriously, when I look at that photo, all I can think is, "Where'd it all go exactly?"