Chinese Inventor Builds Oil Barrel Submarine

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I dunno, with two years and $4,385 I'm sure I can make one damn impressive Papier-mâché volcano.

And I can only surmise he really wants to go places.

Oh and excuse me but I believe it's Captain Tao Xiangli

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
matsugawa said:
That's cool, but $4385? Is the interior gold-plated or something? Seriously, when I look at that photo, all I can think is, "Where'd it all go exactly?"
Do you realize how much proper insulation, the air tank, the electric motor, and the permit to do it all with is?

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
Wow, talk about a hobby that can kill. That deathtrap makes the CSS Hunley look like an underwater Volvo.
harhol said:
SinisterDeath said:
shii. I said back in the day, all china has to do to conquer the US is to give everyone a raft and a pitch fork, and even 1% of them making it here alive would be a 100:1 war!
US population: 307 million
China population: 1346 million

Are you insane?
More likely just bad at fact checking and statistics.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
Strategia said:
"Shortly after unveiling his submarine, Tao expressed his interest to attach a drill with black powder charges and attempt to sink a wooden sailing ship."

(Props to whoever gets that.)
Hurray for Civil war humor =D

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
sabotstarr said:
Strategia said:
"Shortly after unveiling his submarine, Tao expressed his interest to attach a drill with black powder charges and attempt to sink a wooden sailing ship."

That was the Revolutionary War, actually.

I'd say "The Turtle" as well but I've been beaten to it lol

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
I'm always impressed by the innovative ways people can come up with to waste their money.

Time to speed up production of my lego block battle tank.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
somekindarobot said:
Wow, talk about a hobby that can kill. That deathtrap makes the CSS Hunley look like an underwater Volvo.
harhol said:
SinisterDeath said:
shii. I said back in the day, all china has to do to conquer the US is to give everyone a raft and a pitch fork, and even 1% of them making it here alive would be a 100:1 war!

Are you insane?
Or perhaps just exaggerating. Y'know, cuz China has a lot of people and stuff...
Not everything someone says has to be accurate, especially when you're joking about China invading America with rafts and pitchforks.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
fletch_talon said:
somekindarobot said:
harhol said:
SinisterDeath said:

Are you insane?
Or perhaps just exaggerating. Y'know, cuz China has a lot of people and stuff...
Not everything someone says has to be accurate, especially when you're joking about China invading America with rafts and pitchforks.
OMFG, someone actually knows what an exagerated joke is?!

I think the end is nigh.
I'm pretty sure in the big book of world apocalpyse 101, it goes.
Giant Robots,
Chinese taking over america with rafts and pitch forks.
People understanding sarcasm/jokes on the interweb.
'nigh

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
somekindarobot said:
If the USS Hunley is a Volvo, this sub would be a poorly made go-kart, or a Geo.
Treblaine said:
*Admiral of the US Navy shits himself with fear*
Johnson!
Yes sir!
Get the Admiral a new pair of pants. No trousers!
Sir yes sir!

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
AceDiamond said:
sabotstarr said:
Strategia said:

You sure?

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
SinisterDeath said:
fletch_talon said:
somekindarobot said:
harhol said:
SinisterDeath said:

Are you insane?
OMFG, someone actually knows what an exagerated joke is?!

I think the end is nigh.
I'm pretty sure in the big book of world apocalpyse 101, it goes.
Giant Robots,
Chinese taking over america with rafts and pitch forks.
People understanding sarcasm/jokes on the interweb.
nighy
Fixed it for you.

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
Shortly after reliving this he disappeared and the Chinese government took credit. [small] sorry [/small]

But that is awesome! Hope his oil pressure stays up.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Strategia said:

Terry Pratchett's Jingo? I remember something very similar happened in that book. Leonard de Quirm invented a submarine (actually, he called a going-under-the-water-device) with a drill with which it could latch onto ships and be carried along. Nobby suggests that he use the drill to sink enemy ships and Leonard is horrified.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Joshimodo said:
I can't help be in awe of the seemingly infinite Asian innovation, and yet wonder "why?"
You think that is innovative.

In Prison there are people who build fully operational semi automatic firearms out of plumbing parts. (They show a confiscated one on the Myth Busters Episode "Paper Crossbow")

It's amazing how quickly even the lamest person can turn into inspector gadget when they have time and energy.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
sabotstarr said:
AceDiamond said:
sabotstarr said:
Strategia said:

You sure?
Quite sure. [http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/bushnelld.html]

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Still, this is way more impressive than the volcano you built out of Papier-mâché in the third grade.
That cuts deep Cavalli...
Cuts real deep...
[small]I just wanted someone to like something I've done[/small]
[sup]For once[/sup]

But a Sub? Pretty sweet
It doesn't give us weaponry specifics though
I think there holding out on us