Politician Apologizes for "Inexcusable" Solitaire-Playing

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Politician Apologizes for "Inexcusable" Solitaire-Playing

A Connecticut politician who was photographed playing Solitaire during a state budget debate has issued a profuse apology and promised to never indulge in such "inexcusable" behavior ever, ever again.

Democrat Rep. Jack Hennessy is internet famous and he probably wishes he wasn't. Hennessy, along with fellow Rep. Barbara Lambert, were caught by an Associated Press photograph playing Solitaire [http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-state-budget-0901.artsep01,0,583118.story?page=1] while Republican Larry Cafero, the House Minority Leader, delivered a "lengthy speech" on the state budget. The photo quickly made the rounds and before long was turning up on national news media.

Hennessy apologized for his actions in a letter to the people of his district. "It was certainly bad judgment for me to play a computer game even for just a few minutes during the final House session on the budget. I am embarrassed, and I apologize to each and every person in the North End and to people across the state," he wrote.

"My actions were inexcusable. I do want my constituents to know that my poor judgment for a few moments on Monday in no way means I ignored your interests in representing you on this very serious matter," he continued. "Over the past seven months, as a member of the General Assembly's Finance Committee, I have participated fully in the budget process and have played an active role in crafting a budget that provides the necessary services that our communities so desperately need while at the same time minimizing any negative impact on the city of Bridgeport and its people."

"I sincerely apologize to each of you. I look forward to having the continued privilege of representing you and your interests in Hartford. I thank you in advance for your understanding and have been humbled by those of you who have already expressed your understanding and forgiveness," he concluded.

"Understanding and forgiveness" for playing Solitaire? If I didn't know better I'd think he was apologizing for something like, say, drunkenly driving into a lake and then staggering away and doing nothing while his passenger drowned. I know politicians have an instinct for laying it on thick but a three-paragraph mea culpa for screwing in some time during a dull budget speech is a bit much. It's also bears mentioning, I think, that while people, in particular the Republican party, are up in arms [http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-solitaire-0904.artsep04,0,3439180.story] over the game-playing, nobody seems to have said a word about the guy sitting behind them who's quite clearly watching a baseball game.

Personally, I prefer the approach taken by Hennessy's predecessor, former House Speaker James Amann, who said, "I'm sure if they panned the whole place [in the photo], there would have been a lot more on Solitaire. If anybody has listened to Larry Cafero, it's the same speech five or six or seven times a year, and it causes Solitaire to pop up."

Source: GameCulture [http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/2009/09/rep-hennessy-apologizes-for-pl.html]

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
A politician who wasn't paying attention to something vital like a speech about the budget! Never! I'd never believe my elected representatives, who I have so much faith in, would do such a thing!

...except that that was a lie.

My faith in governments world 'round has gone down. Again. I wonder how much lower until I start sympathising with the Anarchist movement...?

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
It's also bears mentioning, I think, that while people, in particular the Republican party, are up in arms over the game-playing, nobody seems to have said a word about the guy sitting behind them who's quite clearly watching a baseball game.
That's because watching baseball during a budget meeting is American.

But seriously? There's maybe one guy even looking at the man giving the speech. Everyone else is clearly tuning him out, doing e-finance, browsing the web and whatnot.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Holy fucking damn! If every person who criticized this man can claim they've NEVER fallen asleep at a meeting, doodled or otherwise not given a shit, then it's fine, but I'm willing to bet this isn't the case. The fact that we expect our politicians to be perfect all the goddamn time and then react like idiots when they aren't is fucking disgraceful. Hell, I think it's illustrative of what's wrong with the democractic system and whats wrong with our entire goddamn society.

Maybe we should start acknowledging faults and trying to work around them occasionally rather than keeping up this facade of perfection while the core is rotting away.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I praise this man's solitaire skills. Screw the senate if they're gonna be so boring.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
What about everyone else with a laptop who is surfing the web in that same photo? One guy on ESPN, another at www.comcast.com. I guess playing Solitaire takes more brainpower than watching baseball. I would've been impressed if he was playing WOW.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
So?

Everyone slacks off once in a while. To say that politicians are different is untrue.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Though doubtless people are already writing placards denoucing solitaire as the sole cause of the recessesion and are preparing to file a lawsuit against mircosoft to have it removed.

Bloodeye

Aug 25, 2009
My first thought when I read the title is that it was inexcusable solitare-playing because he was playing badly.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
He could've picked a more interesting game. He should be a multi-tasker.

He should go on raids during House meetings.

Or play COD4.

"Rep. Hennessy, what do you think of the bill on the floor?"
"I think the guy with the P90 needs to go hang himself for being such a total nob, thats what."

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ahh to bad it wasn't GTA SA with the hot coffee mod. Now that would be newsworthy.

Antinash

Sep 13, 2008
Malygris said:
If I didn't know better I'd think he was apologizing for something like, say, drunkenly driving into a lake and then staggering away and doing nothing while his passenger drowned.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but is this a reference to the late Ted Kennedy? If it is, do you feel strongly on what happened?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
He could've picked a more interesting game. He should be a multi-tasker.

He should go on raids during House meetings.

Or play COD4.

"Rep. Hennessy, what do you think of the bill on the floor?"
"I think the guy with the P90 needs to go hang himself for being such a total nob, thats what."
I like this train of thought. Also...

?

Blown out of proportion either way, though, quite a few of them were slacking off. I think it's just because maybe they are meant to be better than that or something.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I have a question for the Representative: Do you play 1-card solitaire or 3-card?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I have no problem with them playing solitaire during an important budget meeting. My only problem is that they chose to play solitaire and not minesweeper.