Biggest Dutch Retailer Rejects PSPgo

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Biggest Dutch Retailer Rejects PSPgo

Nedgame [http://www.nedgame.nl/], Holland's largest videogame retailer, has announced that it will not be selling Sony's PSPgo when the handheld launches in October.

If you're a gamer in the Netherlands accustomed to shopping for your hardware and software at Nedgame - the Dutch equivalent of GameStop - and you're looking forward to the new iteration of Sony's portable PlayStation, you're going to have to look elsewhere: Representatives of the chain told Eurogamer Holland [http://www.eurogamer.nl/articles/gameketen-nedgame-wil-psp-go-niet] that the company would not be stocking the device for its October launch ... or, presumably, for ever.

As reported by the non-Hollandish Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/biggest-dutch-retailer-boycotts-pspgo], there are two primary factors contributing to Nedgame's boycott. The first is the price point: At €249.99 (£222.23 / $366.34), the PSPgo is €80 (£71.13 / $117.25) more than the PSP-3000, a fairly significant jump that Nedgame does not believe is justified by its capabilities - pointing to the smaller screen as a downgrade.

The other reason is also financial: The PSPgo, operating entirely on digital downloads, will not use UMDs, removing the most lucrative part of the deal for retailers - game sales. The profit margin on consoles and hardware is often much smaller than that on games and software, and many retailers often don't apply employee discounts to hardware for this very reason. As the PSPgo's games will be tied to one's PSN account, trading and selling used games will effectively be impossible, and Nedgame is uncomfortable "at Sony creating a monopoly on the software sold on PSPgo."

It's ... actually rather difficult to find fault with Nedgame's reasons, here. They're absolutely correct that their potential profits would be a ghost of what they would be for, say, the DS (or current PSP, for that matter) and the hefty price tag would mean that the PSPgo might just be sitting and taking up valuable shelf space in stores. Apparently, Nedgame isn't the only Dutch outlet boycotting the PSPgo - nor the only European outlet, for that matter. If you can habla Español, Eurogamer Spain says that [http://www.eurogamer.es/articles/rumor-psp-go-puede-no-venderse-en-espana] local retailers may be thinking the same thing.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
You can't really blame Nedgame. It IS all about making money after all. But at the same time, if the PSPGo gets popular then NedGame just blew a huge oppurtunity.

Let them suffer the consequences good or bad.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh Nedgame, wees toch niet zo kleinzielig.

Accepteer de toekomst voor wat hij is.

.........Oh sorry, my Dutch pride took over a second.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
So, go with the new PSP and not make quite as much money with a handheld that will probably be more appealing to the customers, OR stay with the outdated hardware that makes the retailers more money.

I really hate middle men sometimes.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Maybe if Sony had put in an extra analogue stick on the thing and bundled a UMD ripping drive then they wouldn't have this problem.

And who would pay almost as much for a PSPgo as an Xbox 360 Elite? Even if the retailers got a good margin I can't imagine there are enough people who are dumb enough to get it at that price. The fact that Sony have relatively recently announced the PSP-3000 and they are still going to continue selling it in parallel, the PSPgo is starting to look like a still-birth.

Expect a sudden delay for "technical reasons".

SgtFlaman

Oct 15, 2007
Why bother going through retailers anymore anyway? In an age of digital distribution where games don't need to be shipped to stores to be sold to customers, why not just sell new consoles/handhelds factory direct and streamline not only the software sales process but hardware as well?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
You can't really blame Nedgame. It IS all about making money after all. But at the same time, if the PSPGo gets popular then NedGame just blew a huge oppurtunity.

Let them suffer the consequences good or bad.
What opportunity? They can't make any money off this.

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Oh Nedgame, wees toch niet zo kleinzielig.

Accepteer de toekomst voor wat hij is.

.........Oh sorry, my Dutch pride took over a second.
Oh come on. Their attitude rocks and they're right.
*decides to go there even more for all things videogames*

hansari

May 31, 2009
SgtFlaman said:
Why bother going through retailers anymore anyway? In an age of digital distribution where games don't need to be shipped to stores to be sold to customers, why not just sell new consoles/handhelds factory direct and streamline not only the software sales process but hardware as well?
The same reason the post office is still around even though emails can be sent immediately to their destination...

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Good on you Dutchys. Now go take some drugs and engage in causual sex as your reward!

(read: I think this Nedgames reasons are excellent, and fair play to them)

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Huh. How ironic that the first time I ever heard of my country's largest videogame retailer is through this site. Small world, huh?

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
LTK_70 said:
Huh. How ironic that the first time I ever heard of my country's largest videogame retailer is through this site. Small world, huh?
That makes two of us, never even heard of Ned... erm I already forgot the name...

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
What stores does Nedgame supply? I hadn't even heard of them before I saw this article.

Just checked their site, they have 8 stores in the entire country, lol, nowhere near the biggest retailer then. (ok, they have a store in my area, and I've actually been there too, although I only noticed for the first time 3 weeks ago or so, didn't notice or remember the name though. =P)

As for not selling the PSP Go, well I can see their point a bit, they'd only get money for the hardware, and then nothing for the games, so it would cost them money, but still a bit childish. Not that it would be hard to get a PSP Go, plenty of other stores stock handheld gaming devices, so just get it somewhere else.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
They have the right idea, why would anyone with half a brain pay £70 extra for the same product with a smaller screen, no hardware upgrade and no hard copies of games?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The worst part is that Sony will be charging retail prices for games that we not only don't have physical copies of, but that we're not even buying through a retailer. I'm all for this decision.

Pielewap

Sep 15, 2009
Nedgame isn't the biggest dutch games retailer by far. Blokker owns Intertoys, Bart Smit, the dutch Toys R usses and E-plaza, so they sell more then half of all games in the Netherlands. Nedgame owns about 7 stores, though their service is 10 times better (E-plaza tried reparing my PS3 with by poking it with a cigarette)

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Wait wait, the PSP-Go doesn't play UMDs?
Where is the appeal to go from your old PSP to this one, then?
If some guy has 10 or 15 games on his PSP, then where is the appeal for the PSP Go?

Can he somehow download his titles on the new machine? OR is he screwed? Seems like a bad investment to me.

Beyond that, however, I can't really fault the store-chain for not selling it. It's a business, after all, and businesses want to make money (Go figure). If they can't make money off of it, then why sell it at all?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
..Nedgame?

Never heard of it. And I'm pretty well informed about my game retailers.