BioShock 2 Returns to Rapture in February

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioShock 2 Returns to Rapture in February

Time to mark your calendars - BioShock 2 will be kicking off a crowded post-holiday season when it hits shelves on February 9th.

It might have been disheartening for gamers to hear that the sequel to the acclaimed BioShock disappointing to investors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93121-BioShock-2-Delayed-to-Fiscal-2010-UPDATED]. But now, there can be great rejoicing in the streets, for we know the joyous day of days when Rapture will be upon us once more! Mark your calendars for February 9th, people.

The full press release is below:

[blockquote]2K Games announced today that BioShock® 2, the highly anticipated sequel to the 2007 Game of the Year, will be available worldwide beginning February 9, 2010. The game is now available for pre-order at participating retailers.

Currently in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Games for Windows® LIVE, BioShock 2 will deliver two unique, yet intertwined experiences that form the perfect blend of explosive first-person shooter combat, compelling storytelling and intense multiplayer action.

Set approximately 10 years after the events of the original BioShock, the halls of Rapture once again echo with sins of the past. Along the Atlantic coastline, a monster has been snatching little girls and bringing them back to the undersea city of Rapture. Players step into the boots of the most iconic denizen of Rapture, the Big Daddy, as they travel through the decrepit and beautiful fallen city, chasing an unseen foe in search of answers and their own survival.

Multiplayer in BioShock 2 will provide a rich prequel experience that expands the origins of the BioShock fiction. Set during the fall of Rapture, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a premier provider of Plasmids and Tonics in the underwater city of Rapture that was first explored in the original BioShock. Players will need to use all the elements of the BioShock toolset to survive, as the full depth of the BioShock experience is refined and transformed into a unique multiplayer experience that can only be found in Rapture.

BioShock 2 is currently in development at 2K Marin in collaboration with 2K Australia, Digital Extremes and 2K China for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows® LIVE. BioShock 2 will be available worldwide on February 9, 2010. This title is not yet rated by the ESRB.

For more information on BioShock 2 please visit www.bioshockgame.com, www.cultofrapture.com and www.somethinginthesea.com. [/blockquote]

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I'm not too sure that Bioshock could really be considered 'Game of the Year', but then again, it had the greatest titles of this generation to compete with. 2007 was a brilliant year.

Regardless, I am happy; I loved Bioshock and can't wait for the sequel.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Lord Krunk said:
I'm not too sure that Bioshock could really be considered 'Game of the Year', but then again, it had the greatest titles of this generation to compete with. 2007 was a brilliant year.

I believe the quote is referring to any of the numerous "Game of the Year" awards BioShock received.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
I can't wait for Bioshock 2. The first one stole many hours of my life. Ahh good times...

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Thank you god. That leaves me enough time to get some cash together, for this brillant game, and FF.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
FUCK YES! 2K, YOU ARE THE BEST VIDEOGAME DEVELOPER EVER! :p

OK, OK, gotta calm down, gotta calm down. Gotta compose myself. OK. I'm fine. I don't have a problem. I don't have a problem. OK.

But seriously, this is amazing news for pretty much everyone. I've been looking forward to a return trip to Rapture myself, more than is probably healthy for the average gamer, and the fact that my birthday's right before February is just icing on the cake.

I can't wait 'till then! :D

Coinboy

Sep 12, 2009
I totally loved Bioshock... heck i still play it, but i hope they don't F' up the second one. So fingers crossed.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The story at least sounds intriguing. I have a feeling that the atmosphere will be even more creepy than before since we're moving from a Rapture that hadn't been too long in crazy world to a Rapture that has probably been in ruins for a hell of a long time.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
[sup]Hooooraaaayyy!![/sup]

Now that thats over.. I'm happy and can't wait for the game to come out.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
February 9? Awesome! That's ten days before my birthday. I'm pretty sure it will be M-Rated by the ESRB, though.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
It might have been disheartening for gamers to hear that the sequel to the acclaimed BioShock wouldn't be home in time for Christmas...
Dear Editor

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun, it's so." Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?
- Virginia O'Hanlon

Virginia, your friends must be gamers, for they know the truth that Santa Claus is dead. The gaming industry hired a splinter cell of rogue elves to infiltrate the North Pole and assassinate the fat man. And every year, around Christmas time, members of the gaming industry come together and drink eggnog from Santa's skull in a vile ritual done to ensure that good quality games (or at least games with an enormous amount of hype attached to it) get pushed back as much as possible. In some cases, like Starcraft: Ghost, they get delayed so much that the game phases out of our existence. This is because the gaming industry lives off our tears of sorrow. So when your parents secretly come to your room at night to collect your tears for tribute, they will be exceptionally sweet indeed.

No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Now stop asking stupid questions, or the Game Elves will find you and force you to watch Uwe Boll films until your eyes bleed.

Sincerely, the Editor.

(Is THIS disheartening enough for you?) :D

hansari

May 31, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I believe the quote is referring to any of the numerous "Game of the Year" awards BioShock received.
How many could...oh, wow. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year]

With so many GOTY titles available out there, you would think the whole thing would lose all meaning. Sure, most games given GOTY status are undoubtedly worth giving a look for consumers, but its not like a developer's game can truly be ranked "number one" when there are so many other magazines passing out the same award too.

Then again, I'm no video game developer. Maybe each time you win it, it still gives you that warm fuzzy feeling...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Lord Krunk said:

I know, but 'game of the year' is such a loode term. I'm probably not alone on this, but The Orange Box is probably the real 2007 'game of the year' that comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, Bioshock is one of the best games I've played (and certainly in this generation). But it had so many worthy competitors that it sort of got blown away. The term is pretty much obsolete, because the Dev's grandma could say it's a 'game of the year' and therefore, apparently, it is.