BioWare Unveils New Mass Effect 2 Character

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Unveils New Mass Effect 2 Character

Mass Effect 2 [http://www.bioware.com] cast, a self-described "badass biotic *****" known as Subject Zero.

It's hard to glean too much of a person's character from a minute and a half of of spliced-up video clips, but here's what we can tell about Subject Zero, the latest potential member of Commander Shepard's crew to be revealed by BioWare: She gets off on violence, talks like a half-drunken sailor, calls the shots in the sack and looks rather disturbingly like Lt. Ilia [http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0001591/] in a camo bodysuit. She shoots things, throws them around, blows them up, punches them in the face; Commander Shepard himself says, "She's dangerous, powerful and extremely violent; exactly what I'm looking for."

Subject Zero joins Grunt, a "reckless, unpredictable and irrationally violent" Krogan who was came to light at E3 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVceYItJIJg&feature=related] in June. And while there's still lots of room left on Shepard's team, I can't help but notice that at this point it looks less like an elite unit of top-level intergalactic operatives and more like a heavily armed, psychotic goon squad. I have no doubt that they're handy in a fight but not every Commander Shepard in the great, wide multiverse is going to want to resolve every dilemma he meets by shooting people in the face.

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/27/mass-effect-2s-subject-zero-looks-awfully-unfriendly/]

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Thane at least looks like he might have a civilized side with the whole praying-over-those-he-kills ritual. But with Grunt and Subject Zero, it definitely looks like we're seeing the more renegade-ish teammates. And while I'm sure it's hard to recruit the sanest of individuals to a suicide run, I do hope there are some more paragon-minded squad mates. That being said, the video's cool and the character definitely looks interesting. Still excited for this game!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Sub(ject)-Zero?

Can we still have the last game's characters? I liked the Wrex and Garrus odd couple?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I'll say the same thing that I said in the other thread.. That lady looks very cool, but she also looks like the type of person who'd kill you and not care.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, I agree. This is beginning to seem a lot more like Saint's Row in space than the professionalism I saw in the first game. I can't see how all of that would have vanished more or less overnight.

Plus honestly, I haven't been following the game religiously (though I'll get it) but I can't help but wonder WTF happened to Wrex? Why do we need Grunt, I liked Wrex just fine.

DannyBoy451

Jan 21, 2009
Hey look, a one-dimensional obnoxious tough-girl, that's some great character design Bioware.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
DannyBoy451 said:
Hey look, a one-dimensional obnoxious tough-girl, that's some great character design Bioware.
Um... most characters in any sort of story come across as one-dimensional when they're portrayed in trailers, hopefully something more 3-Dimensional emerges during actual gameplay. My bet is that she's extremely broken people, possibly able/willing to kill off the party if necessary.

PuppetMaster

Aug 28, 2009
*sigh
it seems MA2 is going to be everything people did in MA, effectively ruining the fun.
what I enjoyed about MA was taking charectors out of their comfort zone. (making Garrus shoot scaleon in the face, putting a gun in the hands of a researcher ect.)
If you let pyschos act like psychos it takes all the fun out. I might go Paragon this time just to watch 0 and grunt squirm

El Dingo

Sep 23, 2009
Can we get more characters with actual names though? Thane? Grunt? Subject-Zero? Or is this just some sort of code by BioWare because they don't want to release actual character names yet? If that's the case, I'm gonna be disappointed. I just have a hard time connecting with characters when they're known by nouns rather then pronouns. Makes them sound like tools instead of people. And no matter how attached I may get to a nice cordless Makita power drill, I'd give it up without a second though if it meant my life or death.

PuppetMaster

Aug 28, 2009
Therumancer said:
Yes, I agree. This is beginning to seem a lot more like Saint's Row in space than the professionalism I saw in the first game. I can't see how all of that would have vanished more or less overnight.

Plus honestly, I haven't been following the game religiously (though I'll get it) but I can't help but wonder WTF happened to Wrex? Why do we need Grunt, I liked Wrex just fine.
ahh, but Wrex may or may not have died before the raid on saren's lab
you cant kill someone and then bring them back a few years later

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
It looks like Bioware is taking the KOTOR route: making two different basic kinds of teammates. These guys are the renegades: odds are most of your old team will be the paragons.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
eh, if they put Liara in I'm just gonna exclusively use her. Sure badass chicks are kinda cool, but there's cliche then there's way over the fucking top. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

I just wont put her in my squad

Jerich0

Aug 11, 2009
she looks like a bdsm girl with biotic powers and a bad case of AS (asshole sydrome)

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I can't say I'm a big fan of the skinhead, tatooed hardcore ***** personality. And I never liked biotics anyway.

Sounds like someone who's rarely going to find themself in my squad.

Like that other biotic guy. What was his name again? I had completely forgotten about him until I had to send him to his death. Then I forgot about him again.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
Well they've got me, hook line and sinker. Maybe they will start bringing out the 'diplomatic' or level headed characters later on. Still, im liking the violent direction that this franchise is taking.