Stolen Pixels #129: Champions In Line

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #129: Champions In Line

Is a club still exclusive if it lets everyone in?

Read Full Article

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Ah MMOs and Heroes, does it count if I defeated Black Talon with just ONE punch? I really want to get into the exclusive 'exclusive' club!

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Of *course* it's a meat-market. What else do you think hyper-sexualized adolescent fantasy characters do in their free time but trade tips on how to lubricate spandex.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Bouncer: NAME?
SuperHero: Red Rocket and I'm holding the city for ransom with a nuclear bomb that I stole from Black Talon after I killed him.
Bouncer: Ok, you can go in.

0_o I mean Christ, what the hell? This guy should be fired.

Osloq

Mar 9, 2008
I agree, as they say your powers aren't super if everyone has them. I don't think Champions does such a great job of making you seem like a hero. As far as I was concerned I was just another faceless agent, a step above the police, with superpowers but I would be replaced within 10 seconds. It was the same as when I first played Age of Conan. You're supposed to be the saviour of the kingdom or something, yet you can see 20 other dudes in banana hammocks doing the exact same thing. It completely killed any sense of achievement I felt in the game because any "special" path I tread already had 4000 different boot prints.

Feb 13, 2008
That's why I liked CoX better. They give random passersby lines to yell as you go past saying whether they love(Heroes) or fear(Villains) you.

Some of the missions just beg you to land near a group of people just to hear the "thanks".

Scarlet Knight

Mar 6, 2009
Owner: "Look, times are tough. Let superheroes in , but don't let it look like anyone can get in, OK?"
Bouncer: " Who do I keep out? You said to let in anyone who said 'Black Talon' or kissed Poison Ivy."
Owner: " Well, keep out Ribbon the boy hostage..."
Bouncer: "Because he's lame?"
Owner:" No, because he's underage!"

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
Scarlet Knight said:
Owner: "Look, times are tough. Let superheroes in , but don't let it look like anyone can get in, OK?"
Bouncer: " Who do I keep out? You said to let in anyone who said 'Black Talon' or kissed Poison Ivy."
Owner: " Well, keep out Ribbon the boy hostage..."
Bouncer: "Because he's lame?"
Owner:" No, because he's underage!"
lol good joke

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I only looked at this because I want a badge. Tee hee hee.

Just joking by the way. Please Shamus, don't cry.

pfloriani

Jul 24, 2009
In the early days of City of Heroes, after the dances and boomboxes were added, players would do impromptu light-switch raves in front of City Hall: set up the boombox, set their biggest, showiest powers on autofire, and dance, creating huge lagstorms right near the center of the more popular newbie zone.

It wasn't long after that that the first iteration of the hero dance club was created and added to the game.

Feb 13, 2008
pfloriani said:
In the early days of City of Heroes, after the dances and boomboxes were added, players would do impromptu light-switch raves in front of City Hall: set up the boombox, set their biggest, showiest powers on autofire, and dance, creating huge lagstorms right near the center of the more popular newbie zone.

It wasn't long after that that the first iteration of the hero dance club was created and added to the game.
*wipes tear from eye*
Good times, good times.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Chipperz said:
HA! Where's that club? I have to go mock 'em :)
The club is in the center of the capital city (or empire city? I don't remember how was it named xD). To the west if I remember properly (I only played the beta and unfortunately don't have the cash to play the game now :(.
You will surely recognise it by a huuuuge line in front of it.

I loved rp-ing (yeah nerdness +2) inside that club ^^ DARN! Everyone was RP-ing in that club. Although I still have werid feeling that half of those people were GM-s :p.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
"Red Rubber..." Yep, I am so gonna remember that if and when I get on Champions.
I don't think I'm ever going to get on Champions online - I've heard nothing but complaints about it and gripes of it's general feel making it seem like every other MMO ever made in one.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
One of my favourite MMO's and my favourite comic.. thing.. Mixed together :D What could be better?