173: Cosplay and Effect

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
I've never really wanted to try cosplaying and I do usually laugh at any friends that do it but the idea of dressing up as a katamari and chasing people around with a huge sticky ball intrigues me.

FunkyJ

Jul 26, 2006
theklng said:
as for the whole thing about the word cosplay -- yes, i knew what defined cosplay as a word, and i do believe that at least some of those people (along with RPs as well) are unhappy with the person they are. i'm not saying all, because this is one of the things that can be proven empirically false, but i am willing to bet that there's a good amount of people out there who want to escape to a different reality because they don't feel right or well in the society of structured judgment we live in. as i said, i don't blame them, i see bad things in society as well. but, being pragmatic, i think their potential could be used otherwise... for the better.
So, if I dress up for, say, a Halloween party, I dislike myself in some way?

If not, tell me what the difference is then?

And I've got to ask - what do you think is better than dressing up and having a bit of silly fun?

Furthermore what gives you the right to judge how someone should use their potential?

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
RAKtheUndead said:
Considering the traditions of Halloween and the dressing-up that goes on there, the idea of cosplay doesn't seem that strange to me. What does confuse me, though, is the decided lack of representations of Western science-fiction characters.
There was that guy who went to blizzcon(I think) in a space marine power armor. That was awesome.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
RAKtheUndead:
I agree.

Came across a picture of a (English) girl dressed as a Battle Sister on Kotaku yesterday. Awesome.

theklng

May 1, 2008
FunkyJ said:
theklng said:
as for the whole thing about the word cosplay -- yes, i knew what defined cosplay as a word, and i do believe that at least some of those people (along with RPs as well) are unhappy with the person they are. i'm not saying all, because this is one of the things that can be proven empirically false, but i am willing to bet that there's a good amount of people out there who want to escape to a different reality because they don't feel right or well in the society of structured judgment we live in. as i said, i don't blame them, i see bad things in society as well. but, being pragmatic, i think their potential could be used otherwise... for the better.
So, if I dress up for, say, a Halloween party, I dislike myself in some way?

If not, tell me what the difference is then?

And I've got to ask - what do you think is better than dressing up and having a bit of silly fun?

Furthermore what gives you the right to judge how someone should use their potential?
i never made a point out of giving judgment over how others should use their time, i just said as a pragmatic i could think myself to see that other purposes can be better than, as you put it, "silly fun". it's not that i see it as a waste, it's just that i have a different perspective on the situation, given what i've stated in all previous posts. now if you actually read up on those you'd at least see where i am coming from in this matter.

as for the halloween part: halloween has a smaller percentage of involvement due to happening just once a year, whereas cosplay is an active pursuit of interest. if people were thinking about halloween all year long, or if people spent a long time finishing a costume for halloween, then i'd have the same views on that situation. since you don't give any more information in your hypothetical example, i must consider it vague. every person is different, and as such, every case of study is different as well (note that i did not generalize people anywhere).

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I think I'm going to be The Crow for Halloween.

I guess that counts as cosplay.

I think it'll be fun being in goth clothes in a little while.

I sure hope I don't have serious self-esteem issues.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I was invited to some sort of cosplay Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con by an old girlfriend fourteen years ago. I went as a sort of anthropologist/observer/disinterested party.

After I got home I told my brother, "Put on your goalie gear. I feel dirty and need to shoot some pucks to remind me I'm normal." I've taken a very dim view of cosplayers and otaku ever since.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Generally speaking my attitude towards cosplayers is phasers set to mock.

However I write pen & paper RPG systems for my friends and play AD&D. So I think I've matured into a 'whatever take your fancy' philosophy.

Hardcore nerds still freak me out though. Geeks I get on with. I'm with Homer on nerds "Hey buddy, did you get a look at that nerd?".

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
This reminds me of the time I saw the Mega64 cosplay video. Makes Cosplayers seem like a bunch of arseholes in a way.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
zoozilla said:
I think I'm going to be The Crow for Halloween.
I guess that counts as cosplay.
I think it'll be fun being in goth clothes in a little while.
I sure hope I don't have serious self-esteem issues.
Did you actually role-play? I mean, did you pretend you actually were The Crow? Then, yes, you were cosplaying.

olicon

May 8, 2008
One mantra that cosplayers need to learn is that what doesn't fit them as normal clothing doesn't fit them as a cosplay. A hairy person (guys and gals alike) really shouldn't be wearing sleeveless and short skirt/shorts/whatever. You don't get away from the fashion police on account of cosplaying.

One thing that always make me curious though, is that cosplayers just don't seem competitive. You step into any hobby, and people are bound to compare, contrast, judge, and boast about their creation and ability. Gamers do the famous tea-bagging, ballers trash talk, etc. But cosplayers..I haven't seen one that argue over why his sephiroth costume is the best. They just..stand there, and appreciate other people's work. How the heck can they remain so calm in the face of so much rivalry? (I want two cat girls in a cat fight, dammit!)

Darkmark44

Nov 26, 2008
Cosplaying is pretty fun. The only reason i like it is that i can be someone else, or at least look like them. The only character i ever dress up as is the crow and thats because i love the movie. Plus, it goes against the norm as well. I just love being different then others.

olicon said:
One thing that always make me curious though, is that cosplayers just don't seem competitive. You step into any hobby, and people are bound to compare, contrast, judge, and boast about their creation and ability. Gamers do the famous tea-bagging, ballers trash talk, etc. But cosplayers..I haven't seen one that argue over why his sephiroth costume is the best. They just..stand there, and appreciate other people's work. How the heck can they remain so calm in the face of so much rivalry? (I want two cat girls in a cat fight, dammit!)
Well, i would hate/love to see a whole area being ripped apart because of a fight about whos constume is better. and me as well, two catgirls in a fight, awesome!

~DM

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I did cosplay once as a anime character. I thought it was alright but wasn't really all that's cracked up to be. My main problems with it are where do you find all the props you need, the time and money these things would take up and I'm pants on head retarded when it comes to making clothes.

Edit: Can someone please explain to me what this whole article was about? I could barely make heads or tails about it.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
RAKtheUndead said:
What does confuse me, though, is the decided lack of representations of Western science-fiction characters.
this guy is no anime character, guess who he is