Guest Editor's Note: Queer Eye for the Gamer Guy

Flynn DeMarco

Oct 5, 2009

This week, The Escapist tackles the at times fraught relationship between videogames and the LGBT community.

Read Full Article

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Zangief gay? nothing makes sense anymore.

OT: I don't think that games with a gay main character would sell because of the insecure and therefore homophobic nature of the industry. I think that a lot of gamers are way to homophobic to even consider playing as a gay main character.

Edit: Tingle's gay? Now that I simply cannot accept

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I've always been pretty sure that both Link and Mario were gay, I mean all that adventuring to get some princess who then gets captured once more, its like some unconscious need to get rid of her all over again.

Ryokugax

Sep 9, 2009
The main issue is this bullshit "gay panic" they use as a defense in court as well as a reason not to consider the LGBT community as a useful source for a protagonist. The reason for this is because it still seems to be an "us and them" mindset, and if you play as one of THEM you are one of THEM. At this moment in time it'll be quite difficult to push for LGBT characters because rather than treating the community as just something that's there, mainstream still tiptoes around it.

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
Eoin Livingston said:
Edit: Tingle's gay? Now that I simply cannot accept
I know, right? The mind boggles!

I'd have to agree that I don't see a game with a gay main character selling amazingly well, although this is probably due to the pessimism I generally feel towards our society as a result of my own deep-seated sexual insecurities. I just feel that it limits down the scope of the character somewhat; taking away an area of relatability or fantastical ambition from the shambling hordes of the "majority demographic!". Gamers generally either want to play as characters they can relate to, or would aspire to be like (or at least I think they do).

Barring an actually gay main character, we could however look upon characters who could be said to have a gay sensibility about them; who follow themes of persecution, marginilization, alienation or internalized hatred. Not that a character with these traits seems in anyway appealing, at second glance... Still, while not alienating (hmmm... twice in as many sentences) the majority, gay gamers can still take something away from the experience.

Although... this doesn't address the issue of LGBT visibility, which, as I understand, is very important. Once again, if gay main characters are (temporarily) kept off the table, we can always look to significant NPC's or supporting characters to fill in the void. As you mentioned before, The Ballad of Gay Tony is poised to do as such (fingers crossed).

hansari

May 31, 2009
I think lesbian/gay relationships were possible in The Sims and Mass Effect as well...

SableSpectre

Oct 6, 2009
If people only play who they want to be, why do so many straight guys I know play as females on EVERY MMO they come across?

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
As a curious question...
Does it matter if a game does or does not come out where the male lead character just happens to be gay? Even if it does happen, would any gay (or straight) person be happy about it?
I mean lets break it down a bit.

If they are obviously gay, alot of people will say they are picking on gay people, however if they show no tendancies towards any sexual prefference yet they were marked as 'gay' just... because, then they would get comments in return saying "Why did you make this guy gay? there was no need! your just trying to capitalise on the homosexual market" or other such things, pointing out the irrelevance of determining the sexuality of a character who shows no sexuality as it is (IE: Gordon Freeman. I know he is a blank character the player is ment to decide how he thinks and feels, however labeling him gay or any other character in similar circumstances where their sexual prefference means nothing is only encouraging problems. Just like if a straight character said flat out "I don't like any of that homosexual stuff it disguists me!" how many hate letters do you think they will get?)

Thats just an initial thought, however, after that is another issue where 'minority' or 'under-represened' groups (gay, black, latino etc. people who generally arn't in video games).
Should a writter that is a straight white man (who is famous for writing stories of straight white men) write a story about a gay latino girl purely because the demographic is under-represented, and he has previously never catered to that group before? No. We all know what happens when people step out of their comfort zones, doing things they arn't used to doing, they stuff it up hardcore. not just "oh that was bad" but theres always a few groups of people saying it was unintentionally offencive.

However, I don't know if the editor guy who wrote that (who will never read this post but whatever) knew. But in fallout 3, in rivet city, flak n shrappnel (the gun shop owners) were APPARENTLY gay.
I was reading around alot of information for the game and found out that certain gay groups had commended bethesda on including a gay couple. I never saw that. I saw 2 guys who owned a store together, and shared a room in a city with very minimal living space, which just makes sence since they never SAID anything about it and noone else did either.
To me, thats just throwing in a token gay couple to try and either garner extra support or stir up a little contraversy (but make sure that whatever the issue is, if it went bad they can sweep it under the table like it never existed).
However finding out that there have been gay couples snuck into video games right under our noses (SHOCK!) makes you question EVERY person and/or male couple just like a rabbid yaoi fan girl claiming that every single man in every single story is gay for eachother (not all are like that just the rabbid ones) and then for all we know there is a secret part in half life 3 coming up, where we explore gordon freemans coming to terms with who he truely is and finally speaking his first words "I am gay" :O DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

tl;dr
Theres no NEED to specifically point out a random character is gay unless it has relevance to the story of the game. When guys are shown to love women it's generally to a) give them a bit more character so that you can understand and relate to them more or b) explain why a guy is fighting off hordes of demons to save one clumsy little ***** who should be able to look after herself.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing more LGBT characters in games. Not to flesh out the represented demographic but just because they happen to be, without regards to it affecting the character.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
I don't deny that it wouldn't be interesting to see more characters like that. However personally I don't see why characters need to BE anything. Prime example: Samus.
She is a girl, who is doing a kickass job as a bounty hunter and doing it better then almost any body else in the field. Could she be a BLT? (bisexual, lesbian or transexual... I couldn't help it) I don't think it matters. If we find out that she was BLT, did that change any of her previous exploits? and unless they introduce more characters to the series, will it change future exploits? She will always remain the same person, even if she was straight. Labeling characters that don't NEED labels your only alienating others or encouraging certain people not to like the character where other people who already liked it will like it more, purely losing fans in the process however some fans will more more endeared to the character because of it. Again, with Samus, I know a few people who were put off her (for some reason) because it turned out she was a girl (and this was back in SNES days. You only knew she was a girl at the end if you beat the game fast enough) However other people who were already fans (and probably would have remained fans regardless if she ever exited her suit or not) just grew closer while others rejected the idea. (of course, her turning out to be female did cause some fans to cling to her tighter then they would have otherwise and thuse it kept that franchise alive)

I'd be more then happy to play any game regardles of what sort of GTBLS BS they are aslong as they focus more on making the game good and focus less on making a big deal out of whatever they work into the character.

Apr 28, 2008
This reminds me of a modder for Oblivio and Morrowind, who was female, and made skimpy outfits for male characters.

From what I remember, someone who was just starting to download mods for Oblivion found her website and mods, and told many people about it. She came under so much criticism, that she eventually just quit, and took all her mods with her.

However, after that pretty much the entire Elder Scrolls community came to her support, and eventually got her to making mods and putting up her old ones again.

I guess the moral of the story is that for every homophobe there is, there are 2 more people who aren't. Homophobes are just the loudest, and get heard the most. While the people who don't care just don't say anything, because they don't care.

Thats my theory at least.

hansari said:
I think lesbian/gay relationships were possible in The Sims and Mass Effect as well...
From what I remeber, you could only have a lesbian relationship in Mass Effect if you played as a woman. No gay relationship.

Jetbaby

Jan 28, 2009
Speaking as a straight (but not narrow, as the bumper sticker tells it) mother of two, I think it's great that the Escapist is shining the spotlight on the marginalized demo of gay gamers and LGBT depictions (or the lack thereof) in video games. Not only does it speak volumes about the growing acceptance of gays in the mainstream gaming culture, and culture in general, it also implies that Escapist readers are mature and accepting enough to discuss a 'controversial' topic such as this without allowing the conversation to devolve into slurs and hate speech. Props all around!

Now if you guys would only do a profile on us codger gamers...

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Irridium said:
From what I remeber, you could only have a lesbian relationship in Mass Effect if you played as a woman. No gay relationship.
And that never made any sense to me.
Let's face it, even a convinced heterosexual man playing a firmly heterosexual character ought to choose Kaidan over the unspeakable horror that is Ashley Williams.
Thank heavens they managed to salvage that mess with the help of interstellar lesbianism.

Anywho, when push comes to shove, I think we could all take a leaf out of Simone de Beauvoir's book:

"In itself, homosexuality is as limiting as heterosexuality: the ideal should be to be capable of loving a woman or a man; either, a human being, without feeling fear, restraint, or obligation."

Sporge

Mar 26, 2009
Really I think it is often just a matter of allowing you to play the character as gay if wanted in games where you can choose things about your character. Much like it is in the sims, your character can be gay if you want, but it isn't something forced.

In games where they develop all the characters stories separately, there it would be nice to see some more glbt characters on the good guys side.

Mashirafen

Sep 21, 2009
I'd love to see a game that had a big, manly, space marine type character, where you killed lots of people and everything, and it's just mentioned nonchalantly like, halfway through that he's gay or whatever. It'd be interesting to see the reaction.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
That is a well written article. I agree with the puberty of the gaming industry, it's mostly about manliness and sex to sell mentality. Give it a few years and a good design team, you could see some real progress.

May 28, 2009
I actually think the level of homoeroticness in some of these games, such as Gears of War, is astoundingly un-noticed by homophobes.

I mean really, massive muscle-covered men tramping around with voice-boxes paved with gravel and trying to make hilariously funny remarks doesn't seem a tiny bit suspicious?

bourgtai

Oct 6, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Anywho, when push comes to shove, I think we could all take a leaf out of Simone de Beauvoir's book:

"In itself, homosexuality is as limiting as heterosexuality: the ideal should be to be capable of loving a woman or a man; either, a human being, without feeling fear, restraint, or obligation."
Simone seems to presume that determinant physical attraction is something we choose. Maybe her quote resounds better in an era where people thought homosexuals were simply being difficult, or whatever such nonsense.

Mashirafen said:
I'd love to see a game that had a big, manly, space marine type character, where you killed lots of people and everything, and it's just mentioned nonchalantly like, halfway through that he's gay or whatever. It'd be interesting to see the reaction.
Or if their entire quest is to save "Ashley" and the first you see of Ashley is your manly guy kissing him at the very end of the game :3

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
Flynn DeMarco said:

This week, The Escapist tackles the at times fraught relationship between videogames and the LGBT community.
Sorry, but Benimaru Nikaido is not gay.

http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/character/index.php?num=benimaru