New "Game" Encourages Secret Police-Style Spying

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New "Game" Encourages Secret Police-Style Spying

A new online "game" called Internet Eyes [http://interneteyes.co.uk/] is about to launch, offering players a chance to earn money by spying on people through closed-circuit television cameras and reporting them to the police - for real.

Players of Internet Eyes will monitor "thousands" of CCTV cameras, watching for crimes and reporting them to the authorities in hopes of winning monthly cash prizes of up to £1,000 (roughly $1600). The game's website will also feature a gallery of the people busted by Internet Eyes users along with a breakdown of their crimes and which user caught them. Tony Morgan, one of the men behind the scheme, said he and his partners were inspired to launch Internet Eyes by the fact that while the U.K. has roughly 4.2 million CCTV cameras installed throughout the country - a per-capita rate that easily outpaces even that of China - only "one in a thousand" actually gets watched.

"This could turn out to be the best crime prevention weapon there's ever been," Morgan said. "I wanted to combine the serious business of stopping crime with the incentive of winning money."

The game will be free to play, while anyone who wants a camera monitored by Internet Eyes will pay £20 per week for the service. Morgan said he hopes that businesses, "local authorities" and even police forces will eventually take advantage of the service. The game will use cameras in the town of Stratford-upon-Avon when it launches in November, with a country-wide rollout expected soon after.

"Crimes are bound to get missed but this way the cameras will be watched by lots of people 24-hours-a-day. It gives people something better to do than watching Big Brother [http://www.bigbrother.com/] when everyone is asleep," he said, apparently without a trace of irony. "We've had a lot of interest from local businesses and hope to roll it out nationwide and then worldwide."

Not everyone is as enthusiastic about the plan as Morgan, however. Charles Farrier of the group No-CCTV [http://www.no-cctv.org.uk/] called it "an appalling idea" and said, "It is something which should be nipped in the bud immediately. It will not only encourage a dangerous spying mentality by turning crime into a game but also could lead to dangerous civil rights abuses."

I think "appalling" is a pretty good word for it. In the latter half of the 20th century, East Germany suffered under the incredibly repressive thumb of the Ministry for State Security, better known as the Stasi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasi], a secret police agency famous for the extent to which it monitored the lives of everyday German citizens. Citizen-spies employed by the Stasi reported on each other to such an extent that two decades after reunification, the nation is still struggling to come to terms with the extent of the collusion. And now somebody wants to turn that sort of self-inflicted surveillance into a game?

On the other hand, maybe "appalling" isn't strong enough.

Source: Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1218225/Internet-game-awards-points-people-spotting-crimes-CCTV-cameras-branded-snoopers-paradise.html]

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
I'm gonna' need a bigger tin-foil hat..............

P.S. Is this world-wide, or just in Europe?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Was there a government-engineered plague I haven't heard about yet, to necessitate such monitoring? Countdown to Fingermen and a chancellor starts now.

Also, if they are successful I can see this type of "game" being implemented in the US - patrolling the Mexican border. Countdown to poopsocking racists begins now.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
TMAN10112 said:
I'm gonna' need a bigger tin-foil hat..............

P.S. Is this world-wide, or just in Europe?
Looks like just the UK. So I guess instead of watching Big brother, you get to get watched by him.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It sounds very Orwellian, and yet I'm actually intregued. I'm one of the seemingly few people who actually think that CCTV in public places is quite good. I mean you're not important enough to be worth spying on, and yet they are a good tool to keep an eye on street violence. All we need is people to actually watch the cameras. That's where this comes in. I'm going to check this out.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
KEWL I GET TO WIN MONEY ^_^

Yeah, yeah, this is terrible.

One step closer - 1984 here we come!

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Also, if they are successful I can see this type of "game" being implemented in the US - patrolling the Mexican border. Countdown to poopsocking racists begins now.
Really all we need to do on the Mexican border is put up a shock fence...

Acually thats illlegal but really all we need to do is put up one giant flat wall (not a fence) and slant it at a 45 degree angle twords Mexico, they can't climb it.

O.T. If i lived in Europe then I'd definatly join that thing, but if the above post isnt clear, im a US citizen... sadly.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Valiance said:
KEWL I GET TO WIN MONEY ^_^

Yeah, yeah, this is terrible.

One step closer - 1984 here we come!
Oceania, 'tis for thee.

I agree with the reference to 1984. I mean seriously.
Hopefully this violates human rights.
By which I mean if it doesn't then I'm protesting.

Quadtrix said:
£20 a week seems rather pricey to me.
Combine that with the statistic that only 1 in 1000 (I think?) CCTV cameras solves a crime and...£20000 for every £1000 paid out I think.
Roughly. If so, neat little scheme.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Too late. There are already sites that allow you to watch the US-Mexico border and report things to the border patrol.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
I might just start up a betting pool to see how long it is before it's become known as the second best stalker's tool right after IP locators. They might well state that none of the CCTV cameras will have their location noted to the public, but with Google Earth, a map, and a good knowledge of the urban areas it wouldn't be difficult to work it out.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Glefistus said:
As with all news out of Britain nowadays, lol, shithole (no offense Englanders, but that is how your nation comes off to me).
Very nice. We are actually a complete shithole. Thanks for that.

On the story, does anybody remember the idea for the Manhack Arcade in the original drafts for Half Life 2? This story reminded me of that...

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
I dont get why this would be bad. Whats wrong with putting cameras in public places? If they can reduce the crime rate why not as long as they're only in public places or private owned ones where the owner wants them.

Can someone explain why they're bad?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Supreme Unleaded said:
CaptainCrunch said:
Really all we need to do on the Mexican border is put up a shock fence...

Acually thats illlegal but really all we need to do is put up one giant flat wall (not a fence) and slant it at a 45 degree angle twords Mexico, they can't climb it.

O.T. If i lived in Europe then I'd definatly join that thing, but if the above post isnt clear, im a US citizen... sadly.
<youtube=8y13DzxfrjY>
@4:00

My point being that building a fence does nothing to stop anyone from crossing the border. (A wall would only take slightly more time to get through.) If immigration were really as much of a problem as it is made out to be, a system of cameras and a big brother monitoring system would be far more effective, and cheaper to boot.

That said, let's not make this a thread about the Mexican border, please.

Avaholic03 said:
Too late. There are already sites that allow you to watch the US-Mexico border and report things to the border patrol.
For money?

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Eh...It doesn't seem bad. I mean, it's a good way to get a grip on crime-- turn the entire nation into your cash-hungry security force!

...It was probably a bad idea to post a reply after coming off of a stint on Bioshock...Bloody parisites... For those of you who don't know, that was a reference to the game, not a jab at the Mexican race.