Strut Your Stuff in Project Runway: The Video Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Strut Your Stuff in Project Runway: The Video Game

A game based on fashion reality show Project Runway is slated to be hitting the Nintendo Wii next spring - and yes, you can use the Wii Balance Board to get your runway walk on.

I'm going to admit that I know nothing about Project Runway other than the fact that my mom absolutely loves it, and so does Escapist Senior Editor Susan Arendt. There are fashion designers, and they're competing, and then they dress models up in their clothing ... that's about the extent of my knowledge, really.

Apparently, enough people like it that the makers have decided to turn it into a videogame, reports Atari [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009712.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562], with a planned release date of Spring 2010 (along with everything else, ever). The game will involve series host Heidi Klum and fashion consultant Tim Gunn in some fashion, though details are reportedly being worked out:

[blockquote]The game will largely follow of the format of the TV show, with players competing as aspiring fashion designers and presented with different challenges as they create designs and outfit models with hair, makeup and accessories. Players can then become the model and strut their creations down the runway using the Wii Balance Board or take on the role of a fashion photographer and document their designs.[/blockquote]

The big winner here may well be Atari - Project Runway is a popular show, drawing 4.2 million viewers on average per week, and there's unlikely to be much overlap in the demographics of "Project Runway fans" and "hardcore gamers," my boss nonwithstanding. So if there's a potential audience to capture that hasn't yet bought a Wii, that'd probably be it.

Personally, though, I'm waiting to see if they'll get in touch with Right Said Fred for soundtrack licensing issues. No "I'm Too Sexy"? No deal.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*grabs gun*
*shoots self*

AHHH...What's next...A videogame about The Real Housewives of _____?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Finally! I've been wanting to strut my stuff for a while now :p

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Wow... Really? Well, at least the Wii has SO many other great games that this just adds to the depth and scope of it's amazing games...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
poncho14 said:
Finally! I've been wanting to strut my stuff for a while now :p
*lays down walkway of fire*
Strut away! It's less painful than playing that game will be.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Susan Arendt likes it!? She's awesome but I have to say my respect has just gone down a tiny bit.

Shows like these are the death of television. Or maybe I just despise high street fashion too much.

Feb 13, 2008
*twitch*

I.Think.It's.A.Good.Idea.To.Have.Games.For.Different.Groups.Of.People.

*twitch*

Damn, that was tough. As long as they're not making a Torchwood game. ;)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MAKE IT WORK!

Ok, as much as I love the show (and :p to anyone who looks down on me for liking it), I have to imagine the game is going to be terrible. The enjoyment of the show comes from watching talented people put their creativity and skill to the test by facing specific challenges, like working with unusual materials or with a specific goal in mind. None of which has anything to do with waggling a Wii Remote.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
This just shows that if it's popular in the TV box that it can be successfully converted to the case, and it will fail, just like almost every other TV show tie in game...but it will sell reasonably well.

Grand_Pamplemousse

Aug 17, 2009
Radeonx said:
Well, I know what I am getting this spring!
Is it pills? For your insanity? :D

Why does a games developer work on this when 'The Hidden' has yet to be turned into a proper game?

(the hidden is an awesome source mod that is definitely worth a go if you like hunter-seeker-survival type games.) http://www.hidden-source.com/

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
[small]I like the show too. Its good. Don't judge me. >_> [/small]

Anyways, this game is going to be terrible.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
This is hands down one of the worst shows 'reality' I've ever seen. And I've seen all seasons of I love New York

But to be fair, It sounds like a fun video game for people into that

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The whole concept of the show cannot be translated into videogame from.

That is all.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I watch the show with my wife. It has the Junk Yard Wars vibe of kludging something together under an insane deadline. Only it is cloths instead of mechanical horrors. Ultimately they would have to find a way of converting Tim Gun's fashion sense into an algorithm. If they do that successfully then Tim Gun is out of a job. If they fail miserably then the game will suck. My money is on it sucking.

I hope the game will involve pattern cutting to some degree. I hear that requires a real understanding of 3 dimensional space. I would also like to see the Prima Games strategy guide on how to Min/Max the judging algorithm.