Peter Moore: Physical Media Has Another Decade Left

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Peter Moore: Physical Media Has Another Decade Left

EA Sports chieftain Peter Moore doesn't know if the next generation of consoles will have actual physical disk drives.

Speaking at this year's PLAY Conference [http://www.playconference.org/] during the "The Monetization Game" panel, former-Microsoft-now-EA-Sports boss Moore (and Guitar Hero designer Kai Huang and ngmoco CEO Neil Young) discussed many of the developing and consistent trends of the industry over the past few years.

Moore wondered if gamers were becoming fed up with various plastic peripherals, doubting how long the industry could sustain the trend, saying that if people stopped buying Guitar Hero, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick would find himself on a mountain of half the world's plastic.

On the other hand, plastic tangible peripherals aren't exactly something you can acquire through digital distribution - one of the other growing trends in the industry. After mentioning that he had recently bought a ROKU box to download movies at his home, Moore was asked when he thought physical media would go the way of the dodo:

"[The industry is] at least a decade away from saying goodbye to a physical disc. The more important question is what does the next generation of console look like?" answered Moore - in other words, will the next consoles have physical disc drives, or just rely on connections to the Internet? Either way, he thinks Microsoft will be the first to make the jump when it does happen.

It's extremely hard to imagine a potential next generation without disc drives. Not only would that inhibit the devices' potential to act as secondary media players, but it would only limit the device's appeal to those with a broadband internet connection. Sure, it might seem like everyone and their parents has broadband these days, but that isn't actually the case. Furthermore, whichever company does go straight-to-digital would probably need to have backups and assurances that if it ever goes under, people can still access their games.

If anything, I think the next generation will follow the philosophy espoused by Rockstar founder Dan Houser over the release of GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94393-Rockstar-Founder-More-Will-Play-Gay-Tony-On-A-Disc]: Everything will be online and digital for those who want to go that way, but it'll also come in a physical box for everybody who doesn't want to hop on the digital bandwagon.

(Videogamer [http://kotaku.com/5384537/talking-points-brought-to-you-mostly-by-peter-moore])

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I'm skeptical of switching all-digital. The internet still isn't constant or reliable enough to be fully depended on (we're expecting to start having internet "brown-outs" pretty soon), whereas we'll always have a disc.

But I do think he's right, we'll be all-digital sooner or later.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
If anything, I think the next generation will follow the philosophy espoused by Rockstar founder Dan Houser over the release of GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94393-Rockstar-Founder-More-Will-Play-Gay-Tony-On-A-Disc]: Everything will be online and digital for those who want to go that way, but it'll also come in a physical box for everybody who doesn't want to hop on the digital bandwagon.
I hope that it turns out like this. I know a certain people prefer to download games online, but I've always liked having a physical copy more.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I'm at University in Halls. I can't torrent, I can't access Steam or Xbox Live. Rapidshare and Megaupload take hours to process a webpage - never mind the actual download.

Sorry, but some of us don't have access to 'unrestricted' superspeed broadband. I'll stick to my physical media.

That, and I love the smell of a new game manual when you take it out of its box the first time. And the special edition metal boxes. And the little figures you get sometimes. And actually owning a CD rather than relying on a program.

Don't get me wrong, I like Steam and I've made a few purchases off it (Left 4 Dead (a game I adore) being one of them), but physical media will always be a viable choice simply because it's reliable and it's yours.

Also: In before Khell :p

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
There are good things about going all digital, but there are technical hurdles still to go through. The lack of broadband is a good point, and having physical copies are quite nice. I also like Rockstar's philosophy, it makes a nice compromise until all the kinks in the digital distribution scheme to be ironed out.

Just imagine if you have 25 games on your console's HD, just to have the HD die on you. That shit would take weeks to redownload (assume 4 gigs each game, 100 gigs total).

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I like having disks though... it makes it feel more real. I feel much more excited when I get a new physically copy of a game then when my download completes.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What a load of bollocks.

Many still prefer boxed games, and considering games are even now in-excess of 15GB in size, hardly anyone's going to want to download them.

Then there's consumer rights which I assume when everything's done digitally and never sees physical form will be very hard to enforce properly.

Oh, and does anyone else think that guy looks like the devil?

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
"Microsoft will be the first to make the jump when it does happen."

Doesn't the psp go not have a disk drive?

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
darthzew said:
(we're expecting to start having internet "brown-outs" pretty soon)
What's a brown out?

I sounds like a toilet cleaning fluid.
Basically the internet will stop working for a while because it's too full. I don't have time right now to find the article, but 2012 was the estimate for when this may happen, if I recall correctly.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
darthzew said:
SirBryghtside said:
darthzew said:
(we're expecting to start having internet "brown-outs" pretty soon)
What's a brown out?

I sounds like a toilet cleaning fluid.
Basically the internet will stop working for a while because it's too full. I don't have time right now to find the article, but 2012 was the estimate for when this may happen, if I recall correctly.
So...the tubes will get clogged?

Neosage said:
"Microsoft will be the first to make the jump when it does happen."

Doesn't the psp go not have a disk drive?
Perhaps he meant consoles rather than handhelds?

Mar 17, 2009
darthzew said:
Oh, so that's what them Mayans were talking about.

Ten years is a lot, I mean, look at where the internet was ten years ago, and look at it now. I'm pretty confident that what Mr. Moore here is saying is what is going to happen.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
This doesn't say anything. 10 years is a long time in computer terms. Think of the difference in computing from 1990 to 2000, or even in storage tech from 2000 to 2010. In the past few years, reusable disks with no moving parts have become consumer affordable, along with massively available distributed computing (cloud services). A significant amount of people who want to take the effort can already host their digital data across various things like Google's hosting services and Amazon's EC2/S3 services.

We have another 10 years to improve on both our network availability and storage strategies. The tech will be there, and it will be affordable soon after. There will always be people who can't access or afford a given tech, but that number goes down with time and cheaper production.

People will always have the option for local backups. The same way you have an option to get a tape drive for backups now if you're so inclined. It just will fade to the background as more cheap budget level devices are able to ship without expensive and power hungry storage media.

Also, tangentially, a lot more people would have cheap broadband (in the US at least) if we were able to lock down Internet services as a utility to stop cable companies from walking all over customers with their pseudo-monopoly on the service.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Amnestic said:
So...the tubes will get clogged?
No, the big truck will be full of things that someone has just just dumped something on.

With all this Project Natal garbage though, I reckon Peter Moore might be right. Ten years seems a bit soon but then again, look back at the last ten years. Who knows?

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I like having the physical media. What might be interesting is having a harddrive that downloads the games in the stores when you pick up peripherals or pre-orders and shit. That way, people who don't have broadband can get the games the same way those who do have broadband do.

I don't know if that even made sense. I'll elaborate later when I have time.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Of course everything will go digital distribution only. I mean, look at the massive success of the PSPgo.

Oh, wait...

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
The Infamous Scamola said:
darthzew said:
Oh, so that's what them Mayans were talking about.

Ten years is a lot, I mean, look at where the internet was ten years ago, and look at it now. I'm pretty confident that what Mr. Moore here is saying is what is going to happen.
I don't doubt it will happen, but don't expect me to cheer it on when it does.

XerxesQados

Jun 27, 2009
You know, Funk, you forgot the best quote from Moore. IGN's article [http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/103/1036254p1.html] has it:

"Look at the platform we're on, it's a burning platform," Moore stated.

"Burning." See what he did there? Whereas digital downloads are more DRM-able supposedly kinda (not really).

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I prefer disks, because they seem more reliable and permenant. I still have my old Creatures and Sims 1 games (which I am currently hunting down all the expansion packs for, just for nostalgia sessions)

Say they release L4D2, for example, as a completley digital medium. Sure, I can deal with that.

But years from now, when I've moved away, gotten a job, forgotten all my accounts for these games and my Steam and whatnot, and I'm suddenly sitting there on a lazy saturday afternoon and think "Christ I'd love to fire up L4D2 one last time..." What would I do?

You could say the same about loosing a disc, but with a disc, I may pack it up and take it wherever I go, or I'd put it somewhere safe in any case, where I would eventually find it.

God I miss The Sims...

...SCREW IT...I'M INSTALLING THE SIMS DELUXE EDITION AFTER TEA

2up

Jun 15, 2009
An all digital download future would mean that everyone has access to a fast and affordable broadband internet service. I don't see that happening in a decade. (At least not in my area of the country.) As for me, I prefer physical media because it is something tangible that gives me a greater sense of ownership. A digital download cannot replace the excitement of opening up a new game package and perusing through the manual (all the while experiencing that distinctive new game smell).