Is Sony Supplying Futuristic Weapons to Terrorists?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Is Sony Supplying Futuristic Weapons to Terrorists?

In the latest "Dear Playstation" PS3 commercials starring Sony's Chief Weaponologist Kevin Butler, a shadowy secret organization seeks to acquire all of the futuristic weaponry in Ratchet & Clank's arsenal.

[viddler=3be53fbd]

Have I mentioned I love the Kevin Butler PS3 ads? Okay, yeah, I have, but have I done it lately? These are the antithesis of the creepy PS3 ads of days of yore - they're clever, they're funny, and they present Sony's PS3 as a genuinely compelling and desirable product, rather than presenting it as something that would make your Rubik's Cube explode.

The first of these two new commercials features Butler as Sony's Chief Weaponologist, eagerly espousing the virtues of the new arsenal in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. Unfortunately, the arsenal gets the wrong sort of attention, leaving the normally sharp-witted Butler at an adorable loss of words.

[viddler=6eb9f7af]

The second commercial promotes Butler to VP of Epic Footage, in which he answers the question posed by a hypothetical brand-new PS3 owner: "So whatcha got?" Unlike the others, this is less amusing and creative banter, and more a clipshow. Admittedly, it's a damn cool-looking clipshow, with Killzone, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed - all of the "2" variety - among others looking very, very nice. But it doesn't quite have the wit of the commercials [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95207-Sonys-Uncharted-2-Ad-More-Dear-PlayStation-Goodness]... though it may be worth it just for the Hair Metal bit at the end.

I do love these commercials. They're genuinely enjoyable to watch, and the character of Kevin Butler is a great one. Please keep him around, Sony. He's like the mascot that you always wanted since Crash Bandicoot.

(PS Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/it-only-does-great-games/])

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
"This Just In: President Obama has now announced a "War On Sony". Obama has admitted already working with General Microsoft and Admiral Nintendo. More info as this story develops."

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I love these new PS3 ads.

I like the end of the second commercial with the guitar and crazy hair. Thats just comedy advertising at its best.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
"Is Sony Supplying Futuristic Weapons to Terrorists?" Yeah, but don't worry, it's full of Sony DRM, so it wont work.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
As much as I love these commercials...that montage was what three games? PS3 you have so much more then that.

I freely admit this is a 360 user. Playstation has some darn good games.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I actually really like that second ad: "Two Words: Mon tage"! Classic.

Now if only they could get the voiceover guy to stop saying it costs "two ninetynine". As in £2.99. That's just getting my hopes up, really. :O

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I love the first one... lol

"Yes... don't "exist"... We'll take all you got..."

That is exactly how I imagine a shadow government buying top secret super weapons would respond.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I have to say, Kevin Butler really has a huge range of jobs to do... and he's still able to be funny despite? He's like the heavenly opposite to Bobby "devil-on-earth" Kotick!

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Brilliant, Kevin Butler is adorable. The only way Microsoft could challenge this is by using Murray Hewitt a la Flight of the Conchords as their salesman.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I know I say this all the dang time, but sony was this really that hard?! Go to any advertising class at a college and you would find stuff much better than sony's original ads. Much better than whatever it was that sony used on release time. Finally they've got it figured out.

Generator

May 8, 2009
Sony's ads really are getting better. But then, it wasn't like their earlier ads were much competition. Anybody remember the laughing baby commercial for the PS3 at launch? That thing was scary as all hell!