175: Open-World Gaming

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
sketchesofpayne said:
Imagine if a pokemon game had no gameworld. It instead either generated one based on your geographic area or was pre-loaded with satellite map info and such. To catch pokemon you'd have to wander around various parks and places which would generate the random encounters for the game. You would also duel fellow players wirelessly, but would have to be within a certain distance of one another. Retailers or your house would be the 'pokemon centers' to restore your pokemon's health.
Sounds like too many kids wandering around getting in lost in the woods for me.

Graffiti Writer

Aug 15, 2006
SirSchmoopy said:
Sounds like too many kids wandering around getting in lost in the woods for me.
Yeah, but in these circumstances they'd have a GPS phone and be able to find their way home with it :-D

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I need to point out some contradiction here ( yeah... I here somebody shout "Objection!" but that's another story :p ). This goes one way to Kwil but also others. One of the reasons of games to be games is that you do them when you want. But what many propose with that LARP ripoff or pokemon crap is the entire contrary. You are forced to play "when the game wants it" and that's bullocks. If I want to LARP ( which I don't... whoever harms dragons sucks :p ) then I can go when I want. Sure there are schedules but I can go to one if I feel to. Here I have to do it when the stupid device beeps and bleeps my ass off. Furthermore it looks damn silly if you run around in public staring on a stupid little silver screen to locate some virtual monster or whatever. If you do LARP or whatever you go somewhere people are like you and do the same. That's fun... roaming around "ego like" to fight virtual monsters and randomly ( possibly... I hardly doubt this would catch on... play public servers once and you know how it sucks to match up with strangers... especially if they are assholes and full of themselves ) tag with strangers to beat a virtual monster is not fun... it's silly.

Why replace a winning formula like sports, LARPing or whatever with technical crap? Why defy the play-when-you-want advantage that makes games different from the above mentioned activities? It's just nonsense, can't find another word for it.

wildde

Nov 2, 2008
good, i need the exersise from a GPS game, but the wii being briliant, mabey wii fit but anything els is judt moving your wrists

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
I think this is a great idea. Imagine this, cell phones act as tagging mechanisms and you sign up with your cell phones online. Still with me? Good. Next after you've signed up, you head outside and use your GPS on your phone to find others who have also signed up and now there are teams. You can make it cops and robbers or survivors vs. infected. If you come within a certain area of another cell phone that has this application activated, you either turn into an infected or get "arrested" by a cop.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! I remember a college campus did this, certain people who were zombies wore red shirts and people who weren't wore blue shirts and the infection spread =P
Oh my god yes. Imagine 1000 people in your city. 10 people are "Survivors" and 990 are "Infected" and the infected have to chase the survivors. The infected get an update at the current location of the survivors every 5-10 minutes.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
CanadianWolverine said:
Sylocat said:
Um, you ever heard of ARGs?
Augmented Reality Graphics?
On the off-chance that's not a joke (sorry, it's a Monday and I'm unable to caffinate my way past that today), it's Alternate Reality Game [http://www.argn.com]; I too thought of that immediately upon reading the article, though they tend to be a bit different than the game experience described.

-- Steve

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
CanadianWolverine said:
Sylocat said:
Um, you ever heard of ARGs?
Augmented Reality Graphics?
On the off-chance that's not a joke (sorry, it's a Monday and I'm unable to caffinate my way past that today), it's Alternate Reality Game [http://www.argn.com]; I too thought of that immediately upon reading the article, though they tend to be a bit different than the game experience described.

-- Steve
Ahh, thanks. Fun with acronyms, huh? =P

I was hazarding a guess because it reminded me of another article The Escapist had in the past that I think was about augmented reality, a MMO game played in meat space. Let me see if I can find it again and I'll return and edit in the link.

Edit: Here it is, this article totally made me think of this one ---> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_162/5130-When-Worlds-Collide

gtb08

Jan 6, 2009
the BEST games? Thats funny, because I feel that the Wii is the anti-game, catering towards casual gamers that would have been just as happy buying a game that they suck at, leaving people that want deep RPG experiences desperate for any fallout expansions, or like myself, scouring the ps2 for RPG's that they missed out on. I'm sorry, but one more quick time event and im throwing my 360 through the wall. Games need to step up, garbage like Wanted, Fear 2, and even Dead Space (solid, but who actually cared about anything going on there?) is setting the bar so low. I understand that during these trying times developers can take less risks, but is a little STYLE too much to ask for? Resident Evil 5 seems a bit better, but even they took out the mysterious stranger in favor of an easier and more convenient menu upgrade system.

I dont want things to be easy, i want them to be immersive and challenging, and i know there are gamers on my side. This article was pretty redundant, im sorry, but go outside. Play games on a tv. innovation with the WAY we play games leads to the games themselves being half baked vessels for breakthrough combat systems or motion controls. Just because motion controls work, doesn't make them better. I had a controller that was held together by tape, gum, and paper clips, and it worked pretty well, but i'd stil rather play with a real controller.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
The article was interesting, but I have to say that this type of gaming has some serious drawbacks.

It is useless for those in rural areas, unless massively popular. In many cases, you would have to travel very large distances to find another player, leading to potential wasted purchases. This buyer beware issue, in combination with an inconsistent playing group (who, if they have any sense at all, will turn off their GPS either to cheat or to keep safe for reasons I will explain) could easily be the death of the genre before it is even standing.

There are serious safety issues with asking kids to go to any particular GPS position. What if someone is playing the game in a legally restricted property? What if this causes kids to think it is okay to go into someone else's home to "catch" someone else playing it? It's also a possible tool for stalkers to find kids to nab. GPS is great for personal positioning - it's also a great way to track down people who don't want to be found, and if you give the public your GPS information, that's a great deal riskier than your Facebook profile. Then there's the distraction factor of playing a game while you're crossing a road to your "target".

The moment a game goes "real" - i.e. it involves actual interaction in the physical world with unknowns, particularly as targets, it can create the wrong mentality in people who already have mental disorders, etc. This brings a problem with (sometimes legitimate) protests against this kind of gaming, within or outside the powers that allow the release and use of such games.

These drawbacks will probably contribute to the downfall of this genre. I certainly do not expect it to ever become the main medium of gaming, nor as successful as the Wii (which, by the way, you cannot say has objectively published "the best" games - the most popular certainly, but not the best).

PS: You have missed a "we" in the first paragraph of the article. It ruined the whole sentence.