Swiss Paid the Most For World of Goo, Turks the Least

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Swiss Paid the Most For World of Goo, Turks the Least

Now that the World of Goo "Pay What You Want" anniversary sale is over, the final statistics are rather interesting: The most generous country was Switzerland, while the most stingy was Turkey.

Last week, we learned that 2D Boy, creators of indie smash hit World of Goo, considered their Radiohead-esque their site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95453-World-of-Goo-Holds-a-Pay-What-You-Want-Sale], and it looks like it ended up being even more successful than it had been a week ago.

Interestingly enough, the average donation increased [http://2dboy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dailyavg.png] over the duration of the sale, with a large spike coinciding with the first release of the statistics of the sale on Day 8, a fact which 2D Boy attributes to "our publicizing that the most common price point chosen was $0.01 and raising people's awareness to the fact that we don't see any money for purchases of $0.30 and under."

Linux users made up 65% of all the downloads [http://2dboy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dailyavg1.png] while Mac OS and Linux split the difference.

A particularly interesting chart is the breakdown by country [http://2dboy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bycountry.png], which took the average price of download and normalized it by the country's per capita GDP to get a "generosity" score. Switzerland was the most generous country with its donations, followed by France, Norway, the Czech Republic and Hungary. On the other end of the spectrum was Turkey as the least generous, with South Korea, Lithuania, Ukraine and Russia bringing up the rear.

Oh, and one particularly generous soul paid a whopping $150 for the game - almost eight times its current market price. Guess he must really like World of Goo.

In any case, it looks like the sale was a massive success for 2D Boy, which is pretty badass because clever indie designers making money off of their work is always a good thing.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
There's something about indie devs that make my heart flutter, they're saints among sinners.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
yeah for linux users paying the most

i always like seeing experiments like this, the outcome is always interesting

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Wow, Poland isn't even near the amount Turkey people paid... I was afraid, you know.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Allow me to be a little nitpicky.

South Africa has the third highest generosity rating after Brasil and Hungary. But the equation doesn't consider that South Africa is a country with a very large wealth gap: alot of poor people and only a few rather rich people (who are the ones to own Computers and buy the game). So the per capita GDP of South Africa is not representative for the people actually buying the games there. If only those people where considered, it would result in a much lower generosity rating for SA.

I guess the same thing counts for other developing nations such as Brasil, to somewhat lesser extent.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Disappointed to see Sweden so far down on the list. Personally I coughed up $12.50 for the game. (And an unemployed Windows user at that.)

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Goddammit, about a month after I paid £15 for it. But it was worth every penny.

Ish.

*reflects upon the time he bought Plants vs Zombies for £5 and got a lot more hours of play out of it*

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
So rich people pay more,
poor people less, brits are twats, Linux users are the good guys and Sweden is so bleeding 'Lagom'..

Turns out I don't have stereotypes, I'm just right.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
As a Turk, I can see why they were less generous. First off, most Turks don't even play mainstream videogames let alone Indy games. And as for the people who did purchase it, well were having a little trouble with our economy so most people will pay less. That and were pretty cheap and selfish.
The Infamous Scamola said:
The Turks, smart people.
I cant tell, are you trying to be sarcastic?

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
It's really annoying how people view this as some sort of morality scale. "if I pay more, I must be a better person!" and then they go and ram down anyone who paid a penny.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
The Bandit said:
It's really annoying how people view this as some sort of morality scale. "if I pay more, I must be a better person!" and then they go and ram down anyone who paid a penny.
Well, paying a penny is pretty cheap I would say. So I think* that anyone who didn't just take the game at lowest cost are "better" than someone who paid a measly penny. But what do I know. I paid 5? on a Steam sale.

*Bear in mind that this is my opinion and not fact.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The Swiss are generous and have great cheese. Is there nothing they can't do?

I paid 2 cents for it. Happy about it, too. It gets hard, really fast.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Heh, it's nice to see me old Hungarians being so generous.

They're just messing with your head. Don't believe them. They already picked your pocketts.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Oh, and one particularly generous soul paid a whopping $150 for the game - almost eight times its current market price. Guess he must really like World of Goo.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the person who payed $150 just forgot to put in the "." between the 1 and 5.

Sep 13, 2009
I gave 13$(my fav number) for it, while average person in UK gave 1.38$. Wow...
Even average person in my native country (with exactly twice times smaller GDP) gave more.
Cheap bastards.