Stolen Pixels #140: The Circle of Ammunition

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008

Bullets in Borderlands have a complicated life cycle.

Read Full Article

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Are bullets scarce? Whenever I see gameplay videos everyone seems to not shoot until they're certain they can get a headshot.

Jul 9, 2008
I like that line at the end. I really do wish people would ignore the fridge logic and just play the damn game.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Ignorance is bliss. Now I won't even look at free ammo clips the same way.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
I had roughly the same guess...

Now... Explain to me how with my turret out and my Support Gunner class mod, I can regenerate ammo in my bandolier faster than I can shoot it! Explain that, with all your science!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
That's the Circle of Life, right there in a nutshell. Hope you forgot to bring your appetite! I wouldn't care so much where I got my ammo from, as long as it was plentiful and varied. Although I would prefer it relatively clean, see as I'd be carrying it around...

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
HK_01 said:
You really find the ammo in toilets? What the hell?
Finding ammo in woods or in the wasteland makes less sense. It's probably supposed to be a joke or something. Why can't ammo be there? Someone could have taken a dump and he's bullets fell in there, makes sense to me.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
This comic wasn't as funny as the last one, but oh well.

yes their is ammo in toilets and no ammo is usually not scarce, enemies drop more ammo than you'll ever need usually.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
oppp7 said:
Are bullets scarce? Whenever I see gameplay videos everyone seems to not shoot until they're certain they can get a headshot.
No, there's a lot of ammo and you can upgrade the "ammo bag" for each weapon type, so if you specialize in Sniper Rifles, Rocket Launchers, SMGs and Revolvers, but for instance use Revolvers and Sniper Rifles most of the time, you should buy a standard upgrade for RLs and SMGs, and upgrade the rest as much as you can. Still, why waste ammo shooting someone's body, if you can just headshot, headshot!

Also some enemies are either immune to headshots and have other weak points (spiders have armored heads and they should be shot in the soft behinds ;d), or are weaker to elemental damage, in which case critical shots are much, much better. So it's even better to try and aim for those areas.

Glefistus said:
But there needs to be input into the system, ammo will just keep on getting scarcer, as players die usually after shooting for awhile, so there is less and less for the decomposers to eat.
You can always buy ammo or loot it from human enemies.

HK_01 said:
You really find the ammo in toilets? What the hell?
Toilets, lockers, monsters, humans, crates of ammo, vending machines...

Woem

May 28, 2009
Well that is the same issue with art objects [http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousSpider.htm]. Such as a "silver chalice with lapis lazuli gems", a "gold dragon comb with red garnet eye" or a "carved harp of exotic wood with ivory inlay and zircon gems".

A spider with a harp, c'est tres tres chique eh.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Shamus Young said:

Bullets in Borderlands have a complicated life cycle.

Read Full Article
It's like the old saying goes: "So bad-ass that he eats danger and shits bullets." I guess Gearbox decided to put a literal spin on the phrase. Or one part of it at least.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
orannis62 said:
I like that line at the end. I really do wish people would ignore the fridge logic and just play the damn game.
Yeah really! If I wanted a logical gaming experience I'd play some stupid game like Operation Flashpoint... oh yeah, I bought that too.

And I don't get why some people don't like the guns. I'm a level 37 hunter and all my guns rock. They have for about the last 36 levels of game.

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
There are many guns that aren't that good, imprecise sniper rifles, 2 shots only pistols, and so on.
But you can always keep 'em only to sell it later. And there is always THAT weapon that is so good you wish you could sleep with.
If all the weapons were good nobody would sell anything ever.
In this way you know what to keep and what to sell, I think...

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
The Great JT said:
I ask that same question as to why a wolf has a greatsword in World of Warcraft...
Literally disarmed someone who was wielding one