Microsoft Restricts Twitter, Facebook On Xbox Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Restricts Twitter, Facebook On Xbox Live

Xbox Live [http://www.microsoft.com] but is working on an update that will let parents control which applications their children can access.

Microsoft announced [http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/14/Xbox-LIVE-Preview-Program-Zune-Facebook-and-Twitter.aspx] the public preview of the upcoming Xbox Live services in October. Unfortunately for gamers of a certain age (which is to say, under 18), the company wants to ensure an "age-appropriate environment" for everyone and since the Family Settings options don't allow parents to selectively restrict the applications, Microsoft imposed across-the-board age limits on Twitter, Facebook and Last.fm.

Those limitations will stay in place when the applications are given a full launch, at least until Microsoft can issue an update which will give parents full control over access to them. Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/11/06/twitter-facebook-last-fm-and-xbox-360-family-settings.aspx] said the development team is working on implementing the controls and while no date is given, he added that Microsoft hopes to get the update out "several weeks" after the applications launch.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
Wow.

This just gives me another excuse never to go on my 360 again.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Quick Tip: This is why we like PC gaming and dedicated servers. They can't do this to us.
Until they take our internet away and leave us with LAN... they're already going after the dedicated servers!

Apr 28, 2008
This whole age protection thing is screwed up anyway.

I'm 18, and for some reason I can't download any game videos, because I guess I'm not old enough.

I don't give a damn about facebook or twitter, but if I can't go on Last.fm, I will be pissed.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Quick Tip: This is why we like PC gaming and dedicated servers. They can't do this to us.
What? Seriously?

Are you an underage Xbox Live Gold member now? This has nothing to do with the PC gaming/dedicated servers issue at all.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Until they take our internet away and leave us with LAN... they're already going after the dedicated servers!
Lets not start this, please.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
They do this, but don't do shit about the assholes that plague online matches? That's fucked up.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
How does that have anything to do with this topic? It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Anyway, this is a good thing: it'll give the helicopter parents the control they want, and everyone else can have their fun (if they care about such functions.)

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I have a feeling that all the hate and rage is mainly just coming from the underagers.... for those of us well above the age limit, it doesn't matter and I, myself could care less.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Most underage people that use FaceBook and Twitter have a computer anyway. So this is doing nothing besides making teens turn off their console and go to their computer.

I don't even have FaceBook nor Twitter, just to clarify.

Feb 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
This has nothing to do with the PC gaming/dedicated servers issue at all.
Well, I was going to say that due to PC games not having to go through a single fixed server that can have restrictions put on it, but I don't think I'll bother now. :(

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
Interesting...this reminds me of Communism.
It's not Communism. It's a service provided by Microsoft. They get to decide what they want to offer you. It may be a boneheaded move on their part, but it's still free.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
HG131 said:
Good. Both are idiotic, and this will lower it's users.
1. Oh, the irony.

2. Why do you claim that these services are idiotic? I'll admit, I don't have a use for Twitter, but Facebook is an excellent multipurpose communications tool.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
You can access facebook and twitter from XBox Live? Shows you how little I know.

Earthbound said:
Sevre90210 said:
Interesting...this reminds me of Communism.
It's not Communism. It's a service provided by Microsoft. They get to decide what they want to offer you. It may be a boneheaded move on their part, but it's still free.
I think he meant totalitarianism... but still.