Microsoft Extends Xbox Warranty to E74 Error

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Extends Xbox Warranty to E74 Error

Xbox 360 [http://www.microsoft.com] consoles to cover the less famous but equally severe E74 error.

In a statement posted on the Xbox support site, Microsoft said the E74 error message which some users have experienced indicates a "general hardware failure that is associated with three flashing red lights error on the console." The company claimed that a "very small percentage" of users have experienced the problem and noted that improvements already incorporated into the system make the error even less likely to occur, but said the association with the "red ring" general failure led it to cover the required repairs under the same warranty.

Microsoft said customers who have already paid for out-of-warranty repairs for the issue will be reimbursed. "Microsoft will refund to customers the amount paid for an out of warranty repair due to a general hardware failure associated with the e74 error message," the company said. "Those customers should automatically receive the refund within 4-12 weeks, and no additional action by customers should be necessary."

The Xbox 360 has been plagued by high failure rates since it launched, most notably in the form of the form of three red lights surrounding the console's power button known as the "Red Ring of Death." Described by Dean Takahashi as "one of the $1.05 to $1.15 billion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86140].

For more information about the E74 error and Microsoft's updated warranty coverage, go to support.xbox.com [http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?ID=969905&lcid=1033&category=hardware].

via: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23199]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well, MS continues to own up to their mistakes. This is why I get pissed off when people mock the console so hard for having a high failure rate: the company replaces it for you if it's in warranty.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
scotth266 said:
This is why I get pissed off when people mock the console so hard for having a high failure rate: the company replaces it for you if it's in warranty.
You're missing the point here. It's not the fact that Microsoft would replace the console, it's the fact that it shouldn't need to do it.

Although I find something funny about how much of a bragging right it has become.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
All I can say is, it's about fucking time. It's taken them this long to assess E74 as a proper error?

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
You're missing the point here. It's not the fact that Microsoft would replace the console, it's the fact that it shouldn't need to do it.

Although I find something funny about how much of a bragging right it has become.
Tenmar said:
Yeah the problem is that the problem of a defective console shouldn't exist in the first place especially if it is a new product that is being purchased. One should have that expectation that buying a product new will guarentee that the console will work and will not cause any errors past user abuse.

It is not a bragging right nor a good feature to sell a console on because "WHEN your console breaks it will get replaced".

That tells me that the consumer that buys their product is weak willed and has low expectations of the products they buy. In a capitalist society that is based on consumption, a product should work without question.

It's like going to Gamestop and saying "if the game is defective I can bring it back, gamestop is so awesome for doing something that should be expected out of them as a business which makes them the best around".

Although for Microsoft it is about time they owned up to their other problem. The 360 has been the most defective console in all of video game history. Hell even the CD-I didn't have these problems and that console was shit.
To be honest, I don't know anyone who has red-ringed at all. Maybe I'm just lucky, but to me it seems to be a rarity, thus I have a different perspective. That having been said: you two are correct, the product should be good out the gate, I'm just trying to say that even if it isn't MS will replace it for you. That's why I don't enjoy it when the PS3 fanboys go around saying stuff like "LOLZ 360 RED RINGS LIKE 100% LOLZ MAN IT IS T3H SUX". It's wrong and stupid to say that. Besides, the next Xbox won't have this crap. MS lost enough money this go round to realize their mistake (I hope).

benollier

Apr 14, 2009
My Xbox has red ringed once, and when i sent it back it was quickly back to me, however although none expects the product to be perfect release they should have accepted it was faulty quickly and accepted responsibility in a reasonable time frame not years after its release.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
scotth266 said:
DeadlyYellow said:

Tenmar said:
Yeah the problem is that the problem of a defective console shouldn't exist in the first place especially if it is a new product that is being purchased. One should have that expectation that buying a product new will guarentee that the console will work and will not cause any errors past user abuse.

It is not a bragging right nor a good feature to sell a console on because "WHEN your console breaks it will get replaced".

That tells me that the consumer that buys their product is weak willed and has low expectations of the products they buy. In a capitalist society that is based on consumption, a product should work without question.

It's like going to Gamestop and saying "if the game is defective I can bring it back, gamestop is so awesome for doing something that should be expected out of them as a business which makes them the best around".

Although for Microsoft it is about time they owned up to their other problem. The 360 has been the most defective console in all of video game history. Hell even the CD-I didn't have these problems and that console was shit.
To be honest, I don't know anyone who has red-ringed at all. Maybe I'm just lucky, but to me it seems to be a rarity, thus I have a different perspective. That having been said: you two are correct, the product should be good out the gate, I'm just trying to say that even if it isn't MS will replace it for you. That's why I don't enjoy it when the PS3 fanboys go around saying stuff like "LOLZ 360 RED RINGS LIKE 100% LOLZ MAN IT IS T3H SUX". It's wrong and stupid to say that. Besides, the next Xbox won't have this crap. MS lost enough money this go round to realize their mistake (I hope).
The percent was actually revealed at about 30%. So yes, 1/3 of the consoles fail. That is not excusable. It's wrong and stupid to try and deny the fact it has shitty hardware, regardless of game selection or anything else.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
I have had my Xbox 360 for almost 2 years, never had a single problem with it, I am probably a small percentage of people, but I am perfectly happy with it!

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
The percent was actually revealed at about 30%. So yes, 1/3 of the consoles fail. That is not excusable. It's wrong and stupid to try and deny the fact it has shitty hardware, regardless of game selection or anything else.
? Am I denying it? I admitted that the consoles DO fail, and that IS stupid, I was just making the point that some people wouldn't notice. And if you pull numbers like that, it would be nice to note what time period this was during, what models failed, other nice things like that. Don't post it here though (just troll food).

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
People want Microsoft to "pay" for their errors. $1,000,000,000 says they already have.

Now, if you want to argue "shitty hardware", be my guest. If Microsoft is replacing every console that fails, it doesn't matter if you get inconvenienced for one week every year or two. The only reason someone would bring up the issue is if they want to troll about which console is "best". Who cares? Get all three.

The point is that Microsoft has shored up their responsibility to deliver a reliable platform by artificially propping up the reliability at great cost to themselves. But propped up none the less. So, the whole argument is pointless. Because Microsoft supports it to the bitter end, the Xbox 360 still a great console.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
(Sorry, I thought I lost my previous post and wrote a new one)

There are two kinds of gamers:

* the ones who appreciate that Microsoft is replacing failed 360s at great expense
and
* the others who act like vindictive little bitches who will never be pleased and probably had an ax to grind before this.

So, the 360 has major hardware issues. Big f-ing deal. If Microsoft wants to send me a fifth, sixth, and seventh Xbox 360, I'll let them. Realize that MICROSOFT, is bleeding money over this... not me. Do the math. Four or five Xboxes later and Microsoft has spend $1,000 on a SINGLE GAMER. I'd love to see any other company do that.

So, if you want to argue against supporting a "corrupt corporation", take a look at what's really going on. It's a knee jerk reaction to hate on Microsoft for the RRoD... but it's downright stupid to bite the hand that gives you 360 after 360 no matter how many times they break.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Yes, it's shitty hardware.

No, it doesn't matter, because Microsoft will replace it as many times as you break it. You should act a little more appreciative.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
scotth266 said:
Besides, the next Xbox won't have this crap. MS lost enough money this go round to realize their mistake (I hope).
It seems to me that the only lesson they've learned is that they can make a defective product and it will sell like crazy as long as it's the first of its generation on the shelves. They may have lost some corporate cash from shipping and refurbishing (which I'm sure is a welcome tax write off for the corporation as a whole) but it seems like for every consumer (like me) who decided against the 360 because of the rrod, there's another who's willing to buy another 360 when theirs breaks so they have something to play with while their original is sent back.

So I think the only lesson the console makers have learned is that gamers are probably the least savvy consumers. Gamestop has done just as much to teach that lesson.

It sets an especially bad precedent if the accusations of former employees are true and they knew about these problems but just wanted to get it out before the competition knowing that the "hard core" and impatient gamers would buy it without waiting to see what the competition made.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
edgeofblade said:
So, the 360 has major hardware issues. Big f-ing deal. If Microsoft wants to send me a fifth, sixth, and seventh Xbox 360, I'll let them. Realize that MICROSOFT, is bleeding money over this... not me. Do the math. Four or five Xboxes later and Microsoft has spend $1,000 on a SINGLE GAMER. I'd love to see any other company do that.

So, if you want to argue against supporting a "corrupt corporation", take a look at what's really going on. It's a knee jerk reaction to hate on Microsoft for the RRoD... but it's downright stupid to bite the hand that gives you 360 after 360 no matter how many times they break.
This is really all I have to say on the matter. Sure, it may be stupid of MS to make defective machines, but since they will replace them, who really cares? It's pointless to get annoyed with it.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
edgeofblade said:
Jiraiya72 said:

No, it doesn't matter, because Microsoft will replace it as many times as you break it. You should act a little more appreciative.
All this means is that they have created a bad product. The only reason they bothered to extend the warranty is because the product is so defective that it is outside the realm of what is considered normal for electronics and they do not want to be sued. You sound like someone in an abusive relationship when you say "You should be more appreciative." People are supposed to appreciate Microsoft slapping them in the face repedeatly when it comes to these various failures? What kind of sense does that make?

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
shadow skill said:
edgeofblade said:
Jiraiya72 said:

All this means is that they have created a bad product. The only reason they bothered to extend the warranty is because the product is so defective that it is outside the realm of what is considered normal for electronics and they do not want to be sued. You sound like someone in an abusive relationship when you say "You should be more appreciative." People are supposed to appreciate Microsoft slapping them in the face repedeatly when it comes to these various failures? What kind of sense does that make?
Your logic is cyclical. His refutes yours which refutes his. Point being: some people think that it's all good, since MS owned up to their mistake, whilst others have taken offense. No need for any further arguing about it, it's just gonna keep going round and round.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
scotth266 said:
shadow skill said:
edgeofblade said:
Jiraiya72 said:

Your logic is cyclical. His refutes yours which refutes his. Point being: some people think that it's all good, since MS owned up to their mistake, whilst others have taken offense. No need for any further arguing about it, it's just gonna keep going round and round.
Logic? That's funny, it is not logical to be with someone who punches you in the face at the drop of a hat just because they put ice on your bruises after the fact.

Thirty percent (estimated) failure rates are not something you miss during product testing, this is not even the usual first batch sucks phenomena. Microsoft just decided to throw this box out there, then throw a band-aid over the whole thing. Some people think it is ok to be beat up by thier partners, this does not make such a situation ok.