Microsoft Extends Xbox Warranty to E74 Error

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
scotth266 said:
edgeofblade said:
So, the 360 has major hardware issues. Big f-ing deal. If Microsoft wants to send me a fifth, sixth, and seventh Xbox 360, I'll let them. Realize that MICROSOFT, is bleeding money over this... not me. Do the math. Four or five Xboxes later and Microsoft has spend $1,000 on a SINGLE GAMER. I'd love to see any other company do that.

So, if you want to argue against supporting a "corrupt corporation", take a look at what's really going on. It's a knee jerk reaction to hate on Microsoft for the RRoD... but it's downright stupid to bite the hand that gives you 360 after 360 no matter how many times they break.
This is really all I have to say on the matter. Sure, it may be stupid of MS to make defective machines, but since they will replace them, who really cares? It's pointless to get annoyed with it.
I don't give people medals for fixing problems that are their own fault in the first place, and I didn't pay $250+ to be a beta tester. Plus, well, this:

GonzoGamer said:
scotth266 said:
Besides, the next Xbox won't have this crap. MS lost enough money this go round to realize their mistake (I hope).
It seems to me that the only lesson they've learned is that they can make a defective product and it will sell like crazy as long as it's the first of its generation on the shelves. They may have lost some corporate cash from shipping and refurbishing (which I'm sure is a welcome tax write off for the corporation as a whole) but it seems like for every consumer (like me) who decided against the 360 because of the rrod, there's another who's willing to buy another 360 when theirs breaks so they have something to play with while their original is sent back.

So I think the only lesson the console makers have learned is that gamers are probably the least savvy consumers. Gamestop has done just as much to teach that lesson.

It sets an especially bad precedent if the accusations of former employees are true and they knew about these problems but just wanted to get it out before the competition knowing that the "hard core" and impatient gamers would buy it without waiting to see what the competition made.
Not just gamers, nearly everyone in Microsoft's consumer base is too apathetic to do anything about this stuff. Microsoft can screw their customers over as many times as they want, and the people will still be too damn lazy to switch to someone else.

raunchy

Jul 27, 2008
You buy something in good faith, and it should work. That's what happens when people get jaded and dulled by surfeit. There is absolutely no excuse or justification for M$'s shoddy modus operandi. It really sticks in my craw that M$ knowingly gets away with rushing these consoles out into the open market, knowing full well the extent of the defects, to take advantage of generally younger more naive people.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sylocat said:
scotth266 said:
edgeofblade said:
So, the 360 has major hardware issues. Big f-ing deal. If Microsoft wants to send me a fifth, sixth, and seventh Xbox 360, I'll let them. Realize that MICROSOFT, is bleeding money over this... not me. Do the math. Four or five Xboxes later and Microsoft has spend $1,000 on a SINGLE GAMER. I'd love to see any other company do that.

So, if you want to argue against supporting a "corrupt corporation", take a look at what's really going on. It's a knee jerk reaction to hate on Microsoft for the RRoD... but it's downright stupid to bite the hand that gives you 360 after 360 no matter how many times they break.
This is really all I have to say on the matter. Sure, it may be stupid of MS to make defective machines, but since they will replace them, who really cares? It's pointless to get annoyed with it.
I don't give people medals for fixing problems that are their own fault in the first place, and I didn't pay $250+ to be a beta tester. Plus, well, this:

GonzoGamer said:
scotth266 said:
Besides, the next Xbox won't have this crap. MS lost enough money this go round to realize their mistake (I hope).
It seems to me that the only lesson they've learned is that they can make a defective product and it will sell like crazy as long as it's the first of its generation on the shelves. They may have lost some corporate cash from shipping and refurbishing (which I'm sure is a welcome tax write off for the corporation as a whole) but it seems like for every consumer (like me) who decided against the 360 because of the rrod, there's another who's willing to buy another 360 when theirs breaks so they have something to play with while their original is sent back.

So I think the only lesson the console makers have learned is that gamers are probably the least savvy consumers. Gamestop has done just as much to teach that lesson.

It sets an especially bad precedent if the accusations of former employees are true and they knew about these problems but just wanted to get it out before the competition knowing that the "hard core" and impatient gamers would buy it without waiting to see what the competition made.
Not just gamers, nearly everyone in Microsoft's consumer base is too apathetic to do anything about this stuff. Microsoft can screw their customers over as many times as they want, and the people will still be too damn lazy to switch to someone else.
It's not always laziness. For example MS still has a pretty good monopoly on the PC OS market. And also, some people are too proud: they don't want it to look like they were made a fool of by a company they've given (a lot of) money to so they will stand behind that company while that company while it continuously jams it's ill executed products up their collective asses. Try figuring out the mechanics behind that; I'm having trouble imagining it.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
at least ms is admitting it's mistakes unlike some other consoles ,my ps3 disc drive failed and sony didn't own up to it but now all is well ,i just hope when i get my 360 there won't be any probs and won't become a 10 lb door stop

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Tenmar said:
scotth266 said:
Well, MS continues to own up to their mistakes. This is why I get pissed off when people mock the console so hard for having a high failure rate: the company replaces it for you if it's in warranty.
Yeah the problem is that the problem of a defective console shouldn't exist in the first place especially if it is a new product that is being purchased. One should have that expectation that buying a product new will guarentee that the console will work and will not cause any errors past user abuse.

It is not a bragging right nor a good feature to sell a console on because "WHEN your console breaks it will get replaced".

That tells me that the consumer that buys their product is weak willed and has low expectations of the products they buy. In a capitalist society that is based on consumption, a product should work without question.

It's like going to Gamestop and saying "if the game is defective I can bring it back, gamestop is so awesome for doing something that should be expected out of them as a business which makes them the best around".

Although for Microsoft it is about time they owned up to their other problem. The 360 has been the most defective console in all of video game history. Hell even the CD-I didn't have these problems and that console was shit.
difference there is I think the gamestop warranty is only there for used games, not new stuff.

Seriously, releasing a faulty product then putting a warranty on there just to save your ass is not good business strategy, but people seem to be content to just let it happen.

I'm tempted to go watch Tommy Boy so I can remember that speech in the movie about how warranties are basically worth jack shit