Reggie Promises Awesome E3 for Nintendo

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Reggie Promises Awesome E3 for Nintendo

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledges that the company's showing at E3 2008 wasn't the best - but promises that they'll do better this year.

Remember Nintendo's E3 presentation last year? Yeah, me neither. Wait... wait, I think something's coming to me. I vaguely remember a cringe-worthy presentation by a Nintendo executive-and-mother [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2008/5082-Context-Sensitive-The-Top-Five-Bummers-of-E3.2] wearing a fake smile the size of a Buick. I also remember the big "debut" of Wii Music, the "music game" that resembles a real music game in much the same way that playing air guitar resembles being Jimi Hendrix.

Anyway, Reggie Fils-Aime - the Regginator himself - knows that last year's E3 wasn't as strong as it might have been: "From Nintendo's perspective, we always go into E3 with a very high bar wanting to satisfy not only the core fans but also ourselves. We're hoping to do a much better job this year. You'll have to see for yourself."

Not entirely surprising, given that few companies would ever go on the record saying something like "Yeah, we really don't think we can do better this year. We sort of peaked last year, so... why even bother to try?"

While Reggie is keeping mum about most of what Nintendo plans to unveil at E3 - "You know, everyone wants to know what we're going to announce at E3 and my answer is, come to E3 and you'll see..." - he does specifically mention a release date for The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks as a likely possibility for the Big N's keynote. Anything else, though... we'll just have to wait until E3 itself.

Apparently, though, Cammie Dunaway [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJM0_g9RVKU] is expected to be joining him on stage again. Ruh-roh, Shaggy...

(Via Play.tm [http://play.tm/news/24144/fils-aime-promises-strong-e3-from-nintendo/])

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Hmm. I expect a mediocre presentation that reveals plans for more core game sequels with no real innovation whatsoever and no progress on said games template. I doubt Nintendo is really bothered about releasing games since they've discovered the real money pit is in releasing crap for the Wii. The only reason they'd even show up at E3 is to keep some hope alive in the hearts of the gamers that followed them through the best and the worst.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
a release date for the the new zelda, apparently titled spirit tracks, will definitely make me happy. I also expect them to be showcasing what is actually going to be done with the wii motion plus, plus unveiling some other stupid peripheral and a slough of shit games to accompany it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
...I also remember the big "debut" of Wii Music, the "music game" that resembles a real music game in much the same way that playing air guitar resembles being Jimi Hendrix...
Oh, God, the irony!

Dosn't playing air guitar resemble being Jimi Hendrix in much the same way that a real music game resembles being Jimi Hendrix?

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
So this is the make or break...please release something half-decent, Nintendo...please.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
If they at least have something I'm interesting in this year it will be a success. Nothing excited me last year. Nintendo used to be so great. Now it's just...Wii sports or whatever else they feel like forcing on us.

mark0217

Mar 17, 2009
If their "high note" is Spirit Tracks, then something is VERY wrong within Nintendo.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I doubt we'll ever see another Kid Icarus sadly. Apart from SSB, all the classic characters have no place on the Wii.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
We need something SOLID this year from Nintendo. The last year, the biggest news was the Animal Crossing remake and GTA:Chinatown Wars. Only one of those succeeded. So now, I would like something substantial. Please?

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Nimbus said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
...I also remember the big "debut" of Wii Music, the "music game" that resembles a real music game in much the same way that playing air guitar resembles being Jimi Hendrix...
Oh, God, the irony!

Dosn't playing air guitar resemble being Jimi Hendrix in much the same way that a real music game resembles being Jimi Hendrix?
Depends. are you playing air guitar with your teeth, and then setting fire to the air guitar? because you can't do that with Rock Band's guitar controllers (I've tried).

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
A new F zero game wouldn't go amiss at all. An update on the new zelda and pikmin games would be great too.

As for starfox, well they have never gotten that right after the N64 days. Though that could be solved in one stroke by just cutting back on the current roster of characters. There are so many useless characters in the starfox universe that its starting to resemble sonic in size.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Apparently, though, Cammie Dunaway [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJM0_g9RVKU] is expected to be joining him on stage again. Ruh-roh, Shaggy...
Oh boy... Let's hope she's less pre-school teacher and more, well, normal this time.