First Screenshots From Fallout MMO?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
First Screenshots From Fallout MMO?

Polish website Polygamia.pl claims to have gotten its hands on the first batch of screenshots from the Fallout MMO.

According to Polygamia.pl [http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,101109,7252929.html&prev=hp&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgOmemCFyGX71U3je6fQuZds5_Jnw], the collection of shots were submitted as evidence in the court case between Interplay and Bethesda on which company owns the rights to make such a game.

The seven shots on Polygamia.pl are a mix of screenshots and concept art and they depict a bleak post-apocalyptic world, which is expected. There are no details shown of the user interface or actual gameplay, so it is hard to determine just how far along the design process is. I assume that these shots were brought before the judge to back up Interplay's claim that yeah, we're working on it. See?

It is unclear how Polygamia.pl acquired the shots, or why the name of website sounds as if it is about being married to multiple partners.

Let me be completely clear, these shots could be fake. They are from an unfamiliar source and, if they are from official court documents, I question how a heretofore unknown Polish gaming website was able to obtain such highly sensitive materials. That being said, they seem to be at least well-made fakes and match up with previously seen concept art [http://uk.gamespot.com/images/6238494/first-fallout-mmorpg-art-surfaces/1/?path=2009/302/V13_fallout_factory_94999_screen.jpg&caption=12%252C126%2Bdays%2Bwithout%2Ba%2Bcivilization-ending%2Bnuclear%2Baccident.&blog=1&cvr=MMb1].

Are these screenshots real or cleverly made facsimiles from Eastern Europe? You be the judge.

Source: Polygamia.pl [http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,101109,7252929,Fallout_Online___pierwsze_zrzuty_ekranu.html]

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Looks like a low-res kinda thing, sorta Online + Alpha + Early... I'll buy their story

Interesting

How would VATS work?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Well great, another way to screw up the series.
I hate to sound cynical, but a Fallout MMO is a terrible idea. It's the exact opposite of what Fallout is: A lonely, dark struggle to survive in an unforgiving nuclear wasteland. This'll just open the doors to dance parties in the middle of 'town', people yelling 'LF1M HEALER FOR GLOW!' and other nonsense.
A terrible terrible idea.

Also:

GrinningManiac said:
How would VATS work?
What does VATS have to do with anything? That was a gimmick for Fallout 3, not a staple of the series.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I don't care who owns the rights to this, they must make this game. I've never played MMO but this would be the exception to the rule, should it ever be made.

Prons

Nov 19, 2007
It's probable. Bethseda is good at RPGs, all they'd need to do is add an MMO to it

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Prons said:
It's probable. Bethseda is good at RPGs, all they'd need to do is add an MMO to it
Interplay is making it.

And they're caught in the middle of a legal battle with Beth that they are unlikely to win.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
How would VATS work?
What does VATS have to do with anything? That was a gimmick for Fallout 3, not a staple of the series.[/quote]

A gimmick that Interplay was never involved with either.

Honestly, the charactrer models look like they could have been done with a Fallout 3 mod in 3rd person view.
Anything looks good without animation, you know?

I'm hopeful, though, and this actually looks not bad. Environment is nice though.

Jul 22, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Well great, another way to screw up the series.
I hate to sound cynical, but a Fallout MMO is a terrible idea. It's the exact opposite of what Fallout is: A lonely, dark struggle to survive in an unforgiving nuclear wasteland. This'll just open the doors to dance parties in the middle of 'town', people yelling 'LF1M HEALER FOR GLOW!' and other nonsense.
A terrible terrible idea.

Also:

GrinningManiac said:
How would VATS work?
What does VATS have to do with anything? That was a gimmick for Fallout 3, not a staple of the series.
But vats was the turn based gameplay from the first 2 games coming back in an fps reinvention.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Call me crazy but doesn't that just look like fallout 3, with a slightly moved camera, on a low graphics setting and no hud? Can't you make that on the pc version of fallout 3?

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Baby Tea said:
*snip*

GrinningManiac said:
How would VATS work?
Because a few people might enjoy the idea of systematically crippling an opponent by choosing shots at various body parts in a tactical interface that mirrors the basic combat of the first two Fallout games, and therefor associate it with the series as a whole?

I do however agree with the rest of your statement, that seeing "LF1M Glow" would chill me to the very soul.

OT, I'm kind of surprised that no one has automatically assumed that the artwork in question isn't related to Wastelands, or even Fallen Earth, considering how much we seem to be bombarded with imagery from that particular title... over... and over again... Seriously, when the fuck did (poorly done) retro/steampunk post-apocalyptica become the new flavor of the moment?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Baby Tea said:
GrinningManiac said:
How would VATS work?
But vats was the turn based gameplay from the first 2 games coming back in an fps reinvention.
Right. Like I said: a gimmick for Fallout 3.
It was just called 'aiming' in Fallout 1 and 2.

And then, to try and make Fallout 3 look like a fallout game (Can you tell I'm biased?), they added in the 'pause and shoot' gimmick of VATS.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
Why can't Interplay and Bethesda just share? That would make fans happy. That's what I learned in school.
But, it is buisness after all...

I'd probably buy it if they can make it work, both gameplay wise and buisness wise.

Jul 22, 2009
Baby Tea said:
GamesB2 said:
Baby Tea said:
GrinningManiac said:
How would VATS work?
Right. Like I said: a gimmick for Fallout 3.
It was just called 'aiming' in Fallout 1 and 2.

And then, to try and make Fallout 3 look like a fallout game (Can you tell I'm biased?), they added in the 'pause and shoot' gimmick of VATS.
I suppose :p fallout 1 and 2 were good but i still found 3 more immersive