CoD MewTwo Murders Xbox Live Arcade

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CoD MewTwo Murders Xbox Live Arcade

The gigantenormous launch of Modern Warfare 2 may have spurred a staggering 2 million concurrent Xbox Live users, but it looks like none of them were buying XBLA titles.

Are you tired of hearing about Modern Warfare 2 yet? Good, so are we. And so, one would surmise, are the makers of all the smaller titles available on Xbox Live Arcade. In studying the impact of what is unquestionably the biggest launch of the year - and possibly the largest entertainment launch of all time - GamerBytes' Ryan Langley looked at the stats for Xbox Live Arcade games [http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/11/the_impact_of_modern_warfare_2.php] and found a rather staggering change from Nov. 2nd to Nov. 9th - the day before MW2 came out.

Judging by these stats, XBLA activity dropped about 40% as gamers readied their terrorist-shooting trigger fingers. Trials HD, which had just shy of 15,000 players on its leaderboard Nov. 2nd, dropped to slightly under 9,000 a week later, a change that we see pretty much across all the most popular titles. This, of course, was despite Xbox Live reaching a peak of activity shortly after MW2's release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96096-XBox-Live-Hits-2-Million-Concurrent-Users] with 2 million concurrent users.

So, recap of numbers on Xbox Live: One million banned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96037-Microsoft-Bans-up-to-One-Million-Xbox-Live-Accounts], two million play, 40% fewer on XBLA.

Hey, that rhymed.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
My GOD! We've created a MONSTER!!!

[small]*looks down at his hands*[/small]

Now I understand. Now I understand why such power was never meant for man.

[small]Something tells me that this is going to affect Assassin's Creed 2's sales figures too...[/small]

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Well, if the increase in traffic to Live was from people who just bought MW2, they probably aren't buying or playing very many other games over the shiny new $60 one that's only a few days old.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
This is kinda what happens when you over-hype a game THIS much.

Congratulations IW, not only did you butcher the PC version, you even managed to deal a pretty hefty blow to the one of the services you were actually focusing on!
Irony [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Irony], anyone?

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Wow that sucks for XBLA, but it can't last that long, wonder how Assassin's Creed 2 will hold out.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
MGlBlaze said:

Congratulations IW, not only did you butcher the PC version, you even managed to deal a pretty hefty blow to the one of the services you were actually focusing on!
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that they failed in their goal to have a lot of people playing MW2 on Live?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
how did that rhyme?
So, recap of numbers on Xbox Live: One million banned, two million play, 40% fewer on XBLA.
unless you count the same words (xbox/xbox, live/live and million/million), i can only get play and arcade to sorta rhyme, if you stretch the words out and put your hands to your ears.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
I can't help but notice Team Fortress 2 has had the same attention as ever since MW2's release. Surprising, considering it's a buggy mess with some sort of content famine.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Next week:

-Game stores order nothing but MewTwo; We can't move anything else says manager.

Week After:

-TV made obselete by MewTwo.

Week After:

-World population has dropped by 43% since MewTwo's release; users forget to feed themselves.

One Month From Now:

-Escapist Name Change; Welcome to The Soap MacTravist!

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Kross said:
MGlBlaze said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that they failed in their goal to have a lot of people playing MW2 on Live?
No, I'm talking about how they essentially crippled one part of the console (at least temporarily) they released on (XBLA) in favour of their own game. Actually they also sapped people off other games on XBox Live, too. Of course, that was a given with any new release, but still, I don't think even Halo 3 was this hyped up.

Although after a while, things will pretty much settle back down to normal, but for now I just find the fact that MW2 sapped strength from pretty much everything else around it to be somewhat ironic. I could be wrong, but that's just my take on it.

swaki said:
how did that rhyme?
So, recap of numbers on Xbox Live: One million banned, two million play, 40% fewer on XBLA.
unless you count the same words (xbox/xbox, live/live and million/million), i can only get play and arcade to sorta rhyme, if you stretch the words out and put your hands to your ears.
It's called a half-rhyme.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
swaki said:
how did that rhyme?
One million banned, two million play
40% fewer on Ecks-bee-ell-ay

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What'd I miss on the Arcade in my two months without XBL? I don't know when I'll get it back.

Ah, well. At least there will always be people on Marble Blast Ultra.

Glover09

Jun 19, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Next week:

-Game stores order nothing but MewTwo; We can't move anything else says manager.

Week After:

-TV made obselete by MewTwo.

Week After:

-World population has dropped by 43% since MewTwo's release; users forget to feed themselves.

One Month From Now:

-Escapist Name Change; Welcome to The Soap MacTravist!
HAHAHA, I love it!

OT:This probably affected the PSN as well,BUT if everyones on MewTwo, that must mean the trolls and idiots on all the other games are pre-occupied.(Turns on PS3)

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
The sad thing about this is that I had a lot more fun with the demo of Trials HD than I could ever have with any gun-goes-bang-man-falls-down game.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
I had a feeling something like this would happen. Looks like I was right... *sigh*