Does Your Videogame Comply With International Law?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Does Your Videogame Comply With International Law?

A new study [http://www.trial-ch.org/games.html] published by two Swiss groups has found that players in videogames often have trouble complying with International Humanitarian, Human Rights and Criminal Law as it would be applied in real-world situations.

Put together by TRIAL (Track Impunity Always) [http://www.pro-juventute.ch/], which promotes international criminal law, the study looked at 19 videogames, all shooters that take place in "armed conflict scenarios" of different types and even from different eras. The games were selected based on "extensive research on recent or popular" releases and gamers were hired and given a list of violations to look for and record while they played. A few of the games were played by the hired gamers while members of TRIAL and Pro Juventute watched, to ensure the games were being observed appropriately.

The task was made more complex by the very nature of videogames, which the observers apparently had trouble with at times. "Analyzers sometimes had difficulties understanding the plot of the game and the context of the scenes. The games are very complex and the players are often given various possibilities to achieve their goals, thus making it difficult to determine which means and methods are available to the player and which rules apply," the report said. "In addition, because the games are controlled to a great extent by the player, a player of a particular game may see very different types of content than another, depending on the choices he or she makes. Thus, it is almost impossible to assure, despite engaging for many hours in game play, that all possible violations are found, or that in those games showing no violations, there exist indeed none."

Violations discovered in the game range from the relatively mild and common "destruction of civilian property" to the "strong violation" that results from torturing the hell out of a guy in Rainbow 6 Vegas [http://www.2kgames.com/24/site.html] are noted for actually imposing restrictions on the player's actions that comply with international law.

Videogames, the study concluded, aren't exactly conducive to compliance with international law and the authors would like to see that changed. "We believe and we have seen, in the course of playing different games, that punishing illegal conduct in video and computer games can be done and is, in fact, already done in some of the most popular games," they wrote. "However most of the time this is done partially, that is, limited to specific scenes or to only a few violations, allowing the commission of many others. The incorporation of rules of IHL and IHRL in a consistent manner in video and computer games is not only possible, but would surely render the games more interesting and would create players with a more accurate perspective of what is lawful and what is not in real armed conflict situations or law enforcement operations."

And oh yes, wouldn't that be fun? In all honesty I think a semi-educational shooter or strategy game in which international laws are laid out and enforced would be fantastic, but most of the time when I fire up an FPS I just want to shoot some guys. Seems to me that somebody in Switzerland has the wrong idea of what games are supposed to be about. Grab a copy of the report and see what you think right here [http://trial-ch.org/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/Evenements_et_manifestations/Playing_by_the_Rule.pdf]. (PDF format)

via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/11/20/fighting-fair-international-humanitarian-law-applied-games]

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
"Metal Gear Soldier 4"?

Seems like it kind of hurts your credibility when you repeatedly get a name wrong, doesn't it?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Hehehehe, i read this before if i remember. Metal gear solid was there for murder methinks, makes me wonder if they ever did a no kills run :D

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Does Your Videogame Comply With Internation Law?
International, surely?

Seems to me that somebody in Switzerland has the wrong idea of what games are supposed to be about
This should come as no surprise to anyone. It's hardly a first.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzz. What a NON issue. The reason this website is called "The Escapist" is because the VAST majority of gamers worldwide, both "hardcore" and "casual", use video games for the same purpose: to escape the confines and lexicon of everyday living.

So to all you whiney, liberal, pc jerks out there..... SHUT UP AND LET ME PLAY MY GAMES!

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Powerman88 said:
zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzz. What a NON issue. The reason this website is called "The Escapist" is because the VAST majority of gamers worldwide, both "hardcore" and "casual", use video games for the same purpose: to escape the confines and lexicon of everyday living.

So to all you whiney, liberal, pc jerks out there..... SHUT UP AND LET ME PLAY MY GAMES!
Several of the games that are in violation of these "laws" are on the PC...

So another company trying to demonize games? I think next we should start putting laws on what violates IHL in movies. I'm sure there's got to be something about depicting the copious torture and mass murders that take place in the Saw franchise.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
You know... actually, games aiming for at least semi-serious representation of war should enforce international war-related laws. Somehow, this idea seems intresting.

Flying-Emu said:
Guy meant "Politically Correct", actually.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
[insert image of astronomically epic facepalm]

PC = Political correctness.

Edit: GAH! Ninja'd

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Now I want someone to make a game called "Violate the Geneva Convention" where you repeatedly break said international laws.

MCGT

Sep 27, 2008
I wonder how many violations if you went through any 1 movie, let alone an action movie.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Shouldn't we be fighting for things like this though? To be rid of things like the infamous airport level. Not because games are bad or they can't tell a story. That they are corrupting our youth and changing nice kids into homicidal maniacs. No nothing like that. When you encounter something like that you tell yourself it is ok to mow down all these civilians because it is just a game. And the very second that thought comes in immersion flies out the window.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Ha, ha, ha!

An amazingly comical article!
Wait, it was serious?

Seriously, I doubt the characters in the game care about the laws being violated and games are meant to be a realease, not a pre-planning of real-life actions.
Thus, it makes sense in the story of some games to violate laws.

Stealing and murdering being the chief "fun" aspect of most popular games, because most of us would never do anything like that in real life.

squid5580 said:
Shouldn't we be fighting for things like this though? To be rid of things like the infamous airport level. Not because games are bad or they can't tell a story. That they are corrupting our youth and changing nice kids into homicidal maniacs. No nothing like that. When you encounter something like that you tell yourself it is ok to mow down all these civilians because it is just a game. And the very second that thought comes in immersion flies out the window.
But yet, not having it there would break immersion because they'd do some "obviously a game" way of explaining it, wouldn't they?

Laura.

May 30, 2009
To be honest this doesn't worry me at all. I believe this kind of "study" will never amount to anything, the only reason these people are not a dying breed yet is FOX.

Also:
"The incorporation of rules of IHL and IHRL in a consistent manner in video and computer games is not only possible, but would surely render the games more interesting and would create players with a more accurate perspective of what is lawful and what is not in real armed conflict situations or law enforcement operations."
I don't want realism, I want to shoot an old woman in the face and take her money, dammit.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Who gives a crap if my video games comply with any law any where on Earth? Fuck them and the horse they rode in on. GTA breaks ever known law of America besides child molestation and rape. It most likely breaks every law in most other countries as well. Equally who gives a shit if some war games break the theoretical bounds of international war laws? IT IS A FUCKING VIDEO GAME. This study is so damned stupid is hurts my brain.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I could care less if my video games comply with International Law. It's a damn video game! If I want to shoot someone in the face point blank with a pixelated shotgun, then I will do so. It doesn't mean I'm going to go on a shooting spree in real life.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
These guys should play SWAT 4. You can't shoot criminals holding people hostage unless they fire a shot, or point their guns at you or a civilian. You can only yell at them (or throw a grenade at them, but oh well)