Homeland Security Delayed The Monsterpocalypse!

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Homeland Security Delayed The Monsterpocalypse!

Your hard-earned tax dollars were well spent when the Department of Homeland Security intercepted a shipment of a strategy guide for the tabletop miniatures game, Monsterpocalypse.

In July of this year, Privateer Press reported that the Department of Homeland Security stopped a shipment of gaming strategy guides from entering the country. The title of the guide was Monsterpocalypse Series 3: All Your Base which detailed strategies for the third series of the miniatures game, Monsterpocalypse. The game involves taking over the world using miniature replicas of giant monsters.

William Shick, of Privateer Press, said that the publisher was surprised and confused by the incident. "There was a lot of head shaking," he said. "We thought it was ridiculous." When the delay was announced on the Privateer Press website [http://privateerpress.com/company/monsterpocalypse-series-3-all-your-base-strategy-guide-flagged-by-homeland-security], customers had a hard time believing it wasn't just some crazy publicity stunt.

To this day, the Department of Homeland Security has not revealed why the entire shipment was confiscated, searched and then released a week later. One can only speculate that they were, in fact, worried that it was a guide for prospective terrorists to use giant monsters to overtake our planet.

Someone should tell DHS that it's just a game. They should also ignore most of the titles on my bookshelf...

Source: Reason [http://reason.com/archives/2009/11/27/miniature-monsters-attack-amer]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
And yet conspiracy theorists think these people are competent enough to fake 9/11 *shakes his head sadly and wonders off into the distance*

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Doug said:
And yet conspiracy theorists think these people are competent enough to fake 9/11 *shakes his head sadly and wonders off into the distance*
Don't joke, I have it on good authority by the homeless man that lives outside my local pub that giant monsters shaped like planes were infact the cause of 911...

OT: Honestly...
I don't have words...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Reeper0278 said:
Oh my... The title.... I guess we aren't safe from monsters, only strategy guides.
Indeed - terrorists obviously plan to give American's papercuts on mass!

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
You may laugh about that, but remember what happened back in 1998? Roland Emmerich did a documentary about that...

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
Greg Tito said:
Someone should tell DHS that it's just a game.
When protecting America is involved, it's never just a game.
I know it was a joke, but I think it is somewhat true.

They haven't released why it was flagged and searched. It could have been part of some random program they have in place to check out items. Something they don't want to get into the specifics of. Maybe it was just bad information they acted on.

Whatever the reason I don't think a weeks delay is enough to get in arms over, or even really think is that ridiculous. Okay said my piece, everyone can get back to bashing the US, DHS, and Americans now.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
What the fuck is unreasonable about this? It is possible to transport weapons and supplies through international shipments, you realize.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Don't you see? It was actually the cypher for cracking terrorist conversations in WoW!

What a bunch of apes. Gave me a good laugh though.

disill

Nov 17, 2009
This reminds me of the 1990 Steve Jackson Games raid.

[link]http://www.sjgames.com/SS/[/link]

A vendetta/conspiracy against board games perhaps?
I think so.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Stupid and weird. That is the only way to describe that sort of behaviour. Either that or someone in HLS was abusing their power to make sure they got the new lord of cthul before anyone else :)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That a little disturbing...why did they even bother /sigh

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
I'm surprised no ones mentioned this yet.
They held it for a week; clearly someone in homeland security just wanted to get some buddies together and give it a shot.

Edit:Someone got pretty close though, I'll let him take credit for first.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Stupid and weird. That is the only way to describe that sort of behaviour. Either that or someone in HLS was abusing their power to make sure they got the new lord of cthul before anyone else :)
Why would they want that when they could have the might of the TERRASAURS!!! Ahh I used to love this game...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Good morning blues said:
What the fuck is unreasonable about this? It is possible to transport weapons and supplies through international shipments, you realize.
Which would, at any reasonable speed, be detected within one or two hours of the shipment being confiscated. The issue here is why the DHS held a box full of strategy guides for an entire week.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
Good morning blues said:
Which would, at any reasonable speed, be detected within one or two hours of the shipment being confiscated. The issue here is why the DHS held a box full of strategy guides for an entire week.
I suspect they where photocopying them as to avoid having to pay for the book ;)

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Sooo.. I guess we're now running on the assumption terrorists getting weapons into the country will fill out the appropreate forms and properly lable all the illegal materials.

Seriously though, it's much more likely they decided something with such an obviuosly phoney name as "Monsterpocalypse!" warrants a checking.