Now Your Xbox Live Avatar Can Have a Pony!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Now Your Xbox Live Avatar Can Have a Pony!

That sound you may hear is Escapist Senior Editor Susan Arendt squealing in delight.

It's no secret that people love their pets. There's just something heartwarming about having a little furred (or feathered, or scaled) companion in your life, and we'll shower our animal buddies with affection even when they wake up up at 3 AM by sneezing in our face while curled up on our chest.

So perhaps it isn't so surprising that Microsoft will be updating its Xbox Live Marketplace with purchasable pets to hang out with your XBL Avatar - the surprising part is that they hadn't done it already. As Microsoft's Major Nelson writes [http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/12/02/yes-you-can-have-a-pony.aspx], the "first shipment" will be available tomorrow for 240 Microsoft Points ($3 USD), with the following pets up for grabs:

"Large Dog, Pug Dog, Dog in Bag, Cat, Siamese Cat, Long Haired Cat, Goldfish, Guinea Pig, Monkey, Bird, Snake and yes... a Pony."

Given the fondness that we here at The Escapist have for all things pony-related, we applaud Microsoft in this brilliant initiative and hereby request that the folks behind this consider adding the one thing that could be better than a pony - a unicorn.

You can check out some of the pet pictures on Major Nelson's Flickr [http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/sets/72157622792086813/].

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I am getting a Cat. no matter the cost.
Dammit, I knew there was a reason I save 1860 MS points >< It paid off! Yay!

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
my god.... they know my weakness!!

I dont wanna spend money...but...a kitty is a kitty.

ohhhh >_<

damn you marketing gurus!

I need help :'(

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
It's too bad the Flickr pictures didn't have the pony in them.
I was looking forward to seeing what it looked like.

Well I can see how this would appeal to some people. I personally would be more inclined toward the clothing options (If I would buy anything), but I guess that's me. It's a shame I wasn't a fly on the wall when Susan got the news, though! I can only imagine the earth-shattering shockwave from the squeal of pure delight was a sight to behold.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Also, if you want a free pet, you might want to mosey on over to the Xbox 360 FFXIII page [http://www.xbox.com/ffxiii] and sign up to get a Chocobo.

gRiM_rEaPeRsco

Jun 11, 2008
no chris, you already have a PS3 and a gaming pc, you cant get a xbox just cause of the kitty

stop thinking about it

stop it

bad chris

SirusTheMadDJ

Dec 2, 2009

Excuse me. I'm just going to firebomb the house of the individual who suggested this idea.

Do. Not. Want. d=(

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
-puts cotton balls in bleeding ears-

Well this is interesting, if i had an Xbox id go for the snake.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I've already registered to recieve my baby Chocobo pet.
IT will be awesome once it arrives.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
In before [HEADING=1]FOR PONY!!!!![/HEADING]

Yeah, this seems pretty awesome. When I finally get onto XBL (need to get a wireless adapter first) I'll definitely be getting a mighty pony steed... :D.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
hmmm... I wish Home had pets >_< it might do, considering its STILL in the bloody Beta (a fact everyone seems to have forgotten about).

Anyways, I'd better get out of here before Susan Aredn't comes in and screams in glee in my ear...