Nintendo Announces 2010 Releases

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo Announces 2010 Releases

Nintendo announced its slate of releases for 2010, with none of its heavy hitting franchises on the list.

It might be upsetting for Nintendo fans when the most touted release the company has slated for the next year are two new colored controllers. Nintendo announced that a pink and blue Wii remote will be available on Feb. 14, finally giving you the ability to buy a gender appropriate controller for your significant other on Valentine's Day. The new remotes have the Wii Motion Plus accessory bundled with them, so at least they got that going for them.

It must be stated that New Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks was just released for the Wii and DS platforms, so the lack of any title from those franchises in early 2010 is understandable. However, there is next to nothing on the list of upcoming games that isn't yawn-inducing.

Nintendo announced the release of another installment in the ravenously popular ocean simulator genre on February 22, Endless Ocean: Blue World, in which you wander around an endless, um, ocean. Fun! There is also Tatsunoko VS. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars due out in January.

The list of upcoming DS games is more extensive. In March, there will be updated versions of Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver called Pokémon HeartGold Version and Pokémon SoulSilver Version, respectively. Nintendo said, "The games have been fully enhanced with rich graphics, updated sound, new touch-screen controls and much more." Also in March, WarioWare D.I.Y. will allow users to make their own mini-games and share them over the interweb, if you are so connected.

The best news is the release of Glory of Heracles on January 18 for the DS, giving Western gamers a taste of the Japanese franchise which began in 1987. Written by Kazushige Nojima, who was also a writer on Final Fantasy VII and VIII, the game is set in Greece and based on Greek mythology.

With the lack of any blockbuster titles for the Wii in 2010, it appears that Nintendo is ok with pushing its advantage in the handheld market. The company may be holding back for a console upgrade or is truly unable to woo third party publishers to develop for the Wii.

Still, several questions come to mind. Where is the Metroid game that was touted at E3 last year? Where is Mario Galaxy 2? And when is that dang Zelda coming out?

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Hmm, not too exciting, but WarioWare D.I.Y. sounds like it has great potential, maybe even with a potential fanbase much larger than LittleBigPlanet. I am definintly going to grab that when it comes out.
But no console Zelda!?!? :(

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Nintendo announced the release of another installment in the ravenously popular ocean simulator genre on February 22, Endless Ocean: Blue World, in which you wander around an endless, um, ocean. Fun!
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm actually really looking forward to this game. It's up there on my list with the very best at of early 2010 releases - across all consoles. (Maybe that's just because I'm obsessed with the ocean and fish and I'm a diver in real life though...)

And since they already announced Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M for 2010, I'd be extremely surprised if one of those games didn't make a 2010 release. I can see, say, Other M being delayed, but Galaxy feels like a sure bet. Maybe they're just waiting until E3 to make another splash?

Though I'm not sure anyone ever expected the new Zelda before 2011.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Doesn't surprise me.

But No More Heroes 2 comes out next year so my Wii will get some use. Being able to play as Henry and Shinobu, having 50 boss fights (apparently) = awesome.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Not exciting at all! Where are the good tiles? And who needs those *%*#$ bright-colored controlers? So you won't miss them in the dark? And they're ugly, anyway!

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
How this article left out No More Heroes 2 is beyond me. That's going to be the first day-one purchase of 2010 for me.

And I'm not surprised that Galaxy 2, Other M, and Wii Zelda are not on that list. Wii Zelda may not even make 2010 at all, and Other M is most likely going to be released close to the holidays. Galaxy 2 is essentially finished at this point, but it'd be silly of Nintendo to release it so soon after NSMBWii, given how well it's selling. I'd peg it as a Q2 release.

What I'm more curious about is why titles like Monster Hunter Tri and Sin and Punishment 2 are missing from the list. MHT is allegedly supposed to be a March release, so its absence is worrying. Sin and Punishment 2 was also supposed to be available sometime in first quarter. Does this mean that it may not get localized to America at all? Yeah, it's a bit alarmist, but given NoA's track record with these kind of games, you never know.

And finally, keep in mind that this list only goes as far as March. That's why we aren't seeing any of those big titles from Nintendo (Pokemon aside.)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Ohhh i cant wait till Tatsunoko VS Capcom come out.
Thats gonna haft to hold me over till Metroid: Other M.

ZERO & KARAS FTW!

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
Well, this is yet another reason to not buy a Wii this year...
That list only goes as far as March. The rest of the big games - Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, Disney Epic Mickey, Monster Hunter Tri, etc. - are set for release later into 2010. The article only makes it sound like that's all they planned for the entire year.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like a quiet beginning to the year.

Wonder if anything might surprise us and pop out at the last moment for Q1

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Greg Tito said:
You missed out Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Fragile...

I thought we were friends, Tito. Boys. I was wrong. ;_;

And I didn't expect Other M, Zelda, Pikmin or Galaxy 2 to be released in the first quarter of 2010. I did expect MH3 though...

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
ive said it once, and i'll say it a dozen times, forget nintendo, they've blown off their fans and are completely uninterested in releasing high-quality first party titles (new super mario bros wii is a freakin lame remake of a remake) and they can't even work with third party developers to deliver squat. i'm perfectly happy with my pc, ps3, and 360. at least there's five DIFFERENT games on EACH platform worth getting

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and No More Heroes 2 should fill my mandatory Wii quota, but wasn't Sin & Punishment 2 supposed to come out in March?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I haven't heard anything about this at IGN, and they're very often more dead-on when it comes to all things Nintendo. I think the Mario Galaxy sequel and the Metroid game will both be released in '10, but they'll certainly release at least one of them. If not, we've still got No More Heroes 2, The Grinder and Red Steel 2 to look forward to, and IGN remains convinced that Nintendo's far into development of a Kid Icarus title.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
People complain about Nintendo NOT doing this. And here you guys are all sad.
Kinda like how people hate the same thing but cling so eagerly to it.