Nintendo Announces 2010 Releases

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
qbanknight said:
ive said it once, and i'll say it a dozen times, forget nintendo, they've blown off their fans and are completely uninterested in releasing high-quality first party titles (new super mario bros wii is a freakin lame remake of a remake) and they can't even work with third party developers to deliver squat. i'm perfectly happy with my pc, ps3, and 360. at least there's five DIFFERENT games on EACH platform worth getting
Red Steel 2
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll
Mega Man 10
And Yet It Moves
Super Meat Boy
Max & the Magic Marker
Warioware DIY
Dementium II
Sands of Destruction
Pokemon Heart Gold/soul Silver
Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey

Five games for DS
Eight Games for Wii

Nov 28, 2007
VGFreak1225 said:
qbanknight said:
ive said it once, and i'll say it a dozen times, forget nintendo, they've blown off their fans and are completely uninterested in releasing high-quality first party titles (new super mario bros wii is a freakin lame remake of a remake) and they can't even work with third party developers to deliver squat. i'm perfectly happy with my pc, ps3, and 360. at least there's five DIFFERENT games on EACH platform worth getting
Red Steel 2
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Mega Man 10
And Yet It Moves
Super Meat Boy
Max & the Magic Marker
Warioware DIY
Dementium II
Sands of Destruction

Five games for DS
Eight Games for Wii
But other than those games, what has Nintendo done for us? Let's just ignore Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and other possible new IPs that could be good. Nintendo has done jack-all for gamers!

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Nintendo Announces 2010 Releases

Nintendo announced its slate of releases for 2010, with none of its heavy hitting franchises on the list.

It might be upsetting for Nintendo fans when the most touted release the company has slated for the next year are two new colored controllers. Nintendo announced that a pink and blue Wii remote will be available on Feb. 14, finally giving you the ability to buy a gender appropriate controller for your significant other on Valentine's Day. The new remotes have the Wii Motion Plus accessory bundled with them, so at least they got that going for them.

It must be stated that New Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks was just released for the Wii and DS platforms, so the lack of any title from those franchises in early 2010 is understandable. However, there is next to nothing on the list of upcoming games that isn't yawn-inducing.

Nintendo announced the release of another installment in the ravenously popular ocean simulator genre on February 22, Endless Ocean: Blue World, in which you wander around an endless, um, ocean. Fun! There is also Tatsunoko VS. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars due out in January.

The list of upcoming DS games is more extensive. In March, there will be updated versions of Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver called Pokémon HeartGold Version and Pokémon SoulSilver Version, respectively. Nintendo said, "The games have been fully enhanced with rich graphics, updated sound, new touch-screen controls and much more." Also in March, WarioWare D.I.Y. will allow users to make their own mini-games and share them over the interweb, if you are so connected.

The best news is the release of Glory of Heracles on January 18 for the DS, giving Western gamers a taste of the Japanese franchise which began in 1987. Written by Kazushige Nojima, who was also a writer on Final Fantasy VII and VIII, the game is set in Greece and based on Greek mythology.

With the lack of any blockbuster titles for the Wii in 2010, it appears that Nintendo is ok with pushing its advantage in the handheld market. The company may be holding back for a console upgrade or is truly unable to woo third party publishers to develop for the Wii.

Still, several questions come to mind. Where is the Metroid game that was touted at E3 last year? Where is Mario Galaxy 2? And when is that dang Zelda coming out?

thebobmaster said:
VGFreak1225 said:
qbanknight said:
Red Steel 2
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Mega Man 10
And Yet It Moves
Super Meat Boy
Max & the Magic Marker
Warioware DIY
Dementium II
Sands of Destruction

Five games for DS
Eight Games for Wii
But other than those games, what has Nintendo done for us? Let's just ignore Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and other possible new IPs that could be good. Nintendo has done jack-all for gamers!
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/14/nintendo-dates-endless-ocean-2-pokemon-heartgold-more/
Apparantly I'm the only one who's noticed that its just Q1! Do you really expect their big titles to come out before the second half? The way I see it, the list looks very reasonable for Q1 and we'll definately get to see more at E3.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Good DS line-up. Very very lack-luster line-up for the Wii. I didn't think that Zelda would show up, but I at least expected either Galaxy 2 or Other M to make the appearance. Seems like the PS3 has more quality titles hitting in the first three months than the Wii's got for the entire year.
The Wii that me and my firends share just reciently ended it's run of nearly 2 years of not being used for the new Mario game. Looks like it can get right back into logging another 12+ months of not being plugged in.

EDIT: Opps, it's only the Q1 releases. That possibly cuts down the Wii down time from 12+ months to 4+ months. Come on Nintendo, I want to see at least Other M or Galaxy 2 show up in 2010.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
VGFreak1225 said:
qbanknight said:
Red Steel 2
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Mega Man 10
And Yet It Moves
Super Meat Boy
Max & the Magic Marker
Warioware DIY
Dementium II
Sands of Destruction

Five games for DS
Eight Games for Wii
Let's see...
Red Steel 2 = sequel to an extremely disappointing release game
Tatsunoko v. Capcom = don't care for Tatsunoko and probably many people (general consumers) don't know who that company is
No More Heroes 2 = the only one I'll consider playing by renting, the first was good by the open world was an illusion and was too short for its own good
Super Monkey Ball = utter crap
Mega Man 10 = it looks the same as the old mega man that i can play for free on roms
And Yet It Moves = already available on PC and while unique, not interested
Super Meat Boy = available on Steam
Max and the Magic Marker = never heard of it and probably never will again
WarioWare DIY = a quirky collection of 50 microgames thats over before you know it
Dementium 2 = the first was decent, but a waste of money to buy(worth a rental)
Sands of Destruction = never heard of and don't care for
Pokemon = grew out of it after Pokemon Blue
Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey = never heard of and just researched it, not interested

So the list of games you provided are what sums up the big N in 2010, and none of them will break past 500,000 copies (with the exception of pokemon obviously). Sure some these games might be "good", but will they be worth paying the full $50 (wii) or $25 (ds) for ownership? maybe only pokemon, but thats for a group i don't belong to

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
qbanknight said:
VGFreak1225 said:
qbanknight said:
Red Steel 2
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Mega Man 10
And Yet It Moves
Super Meat Boy
Max & the Magic Marker
Warioware DIY
Dementium II
Sands of Destruction

Five games for DS
Eight Games for Wii
Let's see...
Tatsunoko v. Capcom = don't care for Tatsunoko and probably many people (general consumers) don't know who that company is
No More Heroes 2 = the only one I'll consider playing by renting, the first was good by the open world was an illusion and was too short for its own good
Mega Man 10 = it looks the same as the old mega man that i can play for free on roms
WarioWare DIY = a quirky collection of 50 microgames thats over before you know it
Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey = never heard of and just researched it, not interested

So the list of games you provided are what sums up the big N in 2010, and none of them will break past 500,000 copies (with the exception of pokemon obviously). Sure some these games might be "good", but will they be worth paying the full $50 (wii) or $25 (ds) for ownership? maybe only pokemon, but thats for a group i don't belong to
Red Steel 2: Just because its a sequel to a passable game doesn't mean that its going to be crap. Ubisoft is genuinely trying to make this one significantly different from its predessor. Whether it will be good OR bad has yet to be proven.
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: The fact that Capcom is relying almost solely on the demand of the game's import fans mean that there IS an audience for it
No More Heroes 2: They've listened to the complaints of the first game and are genuinely trying to improve on the open world
Super Monkey Ball: Adventure notwithstanding, all of the console games in the series have seen positive critical acclaim. And how do you know if it will be crap before it even comes out?
Mega Man 10: Your excuse is that you can play them all ILLEGALLY on roms? Really?
And Yet it Moves/ Super Meat Boy: I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't use PCs for games and would want both
Max and the Magic Marker: Go look it up. It has the potential to be the best WiiWare game of the year.
WarioWare DIY: Until you remember that you can go online to make and download user-created content, which, while I'm sure some will not want, others will be glad to look into
Dementium II: Like NMH2, the developers are taking the critism seriously and improving on them in the sequel.
Sands of Destruction: a unique and cliche twisting RPG from Sega
Shin Megami Tensei: Also a unique RPG from Atlus

All your excuses make no sense, have been disproven, or are based on your own subjective opinion. There are plenty of people who would be willing to play these games. Also, see my previous comment about their release timing.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
qbanknight said:
VGFreak1225 said:
qbanknight said:
Red Steel 2
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Mega Man 10
And Yet It Moves
Super Meat Boy
Max & the Magic Marker
Warioware DIY
Dementium II
Sands of Destruction

Five games for DS
Eight Games for Wii
Let's see...

This is why it's probably worth reading comments that other people make.

This is what sums up the big N in Q1 2010. There are still 3 more Qs left in the year not yet announced.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
ranger19 said:
Greg Tito said:
Nintendo announced the release of another installment in the ravenously popular ocean simulator genre on February 22, Endless Ocean: Blue World, in which you wander around an endless, um, ocean. Fun!
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm actually really looking forward to this game. It's up there on my list with the very best at of early 2010 releases - across all consoles. (Maybe that's just because I'm obsessed with the ocean and fish and I'm a diver in real life though...)
Endless Ocean is seriously one of those "flew way under the radar" type of games that turned out to be actually pretty fun and remarkably chill. I'll have to keep my eye out for Blue World reviews.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Chimaera said:
ranger19 said:
Greg Tito said:
Nintendo announced the release of another installment in the ravenously popular ocean simulator genre on February 22, Endless Ocean: Blue World, in which you wander around an endless, um, ocean. Fun!
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm actually really looking forward to this game. It's up there on my list with the very best at of early 2010 releases - across all consoles. (Maybe that's just because I'm obsessed with the ocean and fish and I'm a diver in real life though...)
Endless Ocean is seriously one of those "flew way under the radar" type of games that turned out to be actually pretty fun and remarkably chill. I'll have to keep my eye out for Blue World reviews.
That's exactly what it was. I remember picking it up, playing with it for only a short while, then leaving it for a few months (I was just about to go on a real week-long diving trip so the virtual one didn't interest me too much at the time), but then when I eventually got around to playing it, it was a lot of fun. Sure, being on the boat felt very primitive, but the underwater sections were really great, the music was great, and the story was actually surprisingly entertaining. The second one from what I've seen has better visuals, which is all I could ask for. I'm really excited for it.

This is one of those games that I'm happy to pay top dollar for, because unlike MW2 or Galaxy, it's not certain that kajillions of others will run out to buy it at launch.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Well, on the Wii side of things, there's only Tatsunoko vs Capcom that really interests me. Anything else I'd have to give a rent to first. Already pre-ordered that anyway.

DS...lots of things, as usual. Sands of Destruction, SMT: Strange Journey, Glory of Heracles, Pokemon Soul Silver, and Pokemon Heart Gold. Possibly Ragnarok Online DS.

Of course, the most exciting game announcement for me recently isn't on that list anyway. Etrian Odyssey 3, coming out in March (in Japan) and likely getting an inevitable localization from Atlus. Hells yeah.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Wario-Ware D.I.Y. looks interesting, and all the first quarter stuff seems to shape up nicely. As to where their big franchises are, I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off on saying anything for a while seeing as how no matter what they say when they hype something it invariably turns into a shitstorm of whining.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Gotta get Wario Ware D.I.Y, what the community can birth is astounding!

The Wii? Meh. Totally meh, wasn't expecting any less given the systems track-record but still...two new controllers? That's it? Nintendo are becoming more pathetic as the days roll by.

They know what to do with the DS mind you, Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver is looking fine!

Say what you will about Pokemon, it still stands up as a great, in depth RPG with the most deceiving coating to keep the naked eye out!

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
The Wii? Meh. Totally meh, wasn't expecting any less given the systems track-record but still...two new controllers? That's it? Nintendo are becoming more pathetic as the days roll by.
Considering the list only accounts for Q1, Wii has Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, Super Meat Boy, And Yet It Moves, Max & the Magic Marker, Mega Man 10, and Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll. I'd argue this should be enough to hold us over.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
VGFreak1225 said:
qbanknight said:
VGFreak1225 said:
qbanknight said:
Red Steel 2
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Mega Man 10
And Yet It Moves
Super Meat Boy
Max & the Magic Marker
Warioware DIY
Dementium II
Sands of Destruction

Five games for DS
Eight Games for Wii
Let's see...

Red Steel 2: Just because its a sequel to a passable game doesn't mean that its going to be crap. Ubisoft is genuinely trying to make this one significantly different from its predessor. Whether it will be good OR bad has yet to be proven.
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: The fact that Capcom is relying almost solely on the demand of the game's import fans mean that there IS an audience for it
No More Heroes 2: They've listened to the complaints of the first game and are genuinely trying to improve on the open world
Super Monkey Ball: Adventure notwithstanding, all of the console games in the series have seen positive critical acclaim. And how do you know if it will be crap before it even comes out?
Mega Man 10: Your excuse is that you can play them all ILLEGALLY on roms? Really?
And Yet it Moves/ Super Meat Boy: I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't use PCs for games and would want both
Max and the Magic Marker: Go look it up. It has the potential to be the best WiiWare game of the year.
WarioWare DIY: Until you remember that you can go online to make and download user-created content, which, while I'm sure some will not want, others will be glad to look into
Dementium II: Like NMH2, the developers are taking the critism seriously and improving on them in the sequel.
Sands of Destruction: a unique and cliche twisting RPG from Sega
Shin Megami Tensei: Also a unique RPG from Atlus

All your excuses make no sense, have been disproven, or are based on your own subjective opinion. There are plenty of people who would be willing to play these games. Also, see my previous comment about their release timing.
Very well then, let me simplify my opinion even further: NONE of these games appeal to me. The only ones that have been commercially successful are Pokemon and Red Steel (because it was a launch title). These games may all get positive critical acclaim like you say, but as we all know positive acclaim doesn't always translate to great sales.

Because here's the BIGGEST problem Nintendo has with its third party developers: they do not help at all with marketing the game. Normally this would fall to the publishers in the 360 and PS3 realm, but with Nintendo, they've given up all hope that they can make great profits on the system. Thus Nintendo would need to show off the games to the right audiences, but they don't even try. Besides, these games will appear on shelves and be lost in the droves of shovelware that comes out for the Wii. And also the RPGs released on the DS are hardly ever given any attention in the gaming media or advertisements in general. So only a few people will actually buy the games.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Let's see...

For the Wii:
No More Heroes 2 (how you could have omitted this is beyond me)
Megaman 10
Super Monkey Ball
Ace Attorney

For the DS:
Ace Attorney Investigations (OH GOD YES)
Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver
Shin Megami Tensei

Seven games for Q1 that I'd buy; there's probably quite a few more that I'd like, but I'm sticking with franchises I know at this stage, given my fincancial position.

SEVEN GAMES in a single quarter. People are complaining about this? Is seven games not enough to tide you over? This is one thing that always baffled me about the Wii hate. People will slam it for having "next-to-no" quality games, while I have no trouble finding more than enough to satisfy my requirements. My Wii Wishlist is a mile long, and yet apparently there's not enough games for the thing. Do people just not look, or is there some kind of gamer's fund that will buy you the twenty games a year you need to satisfy your cravings?

Of course, since none of the announced games are first-party blockbusters, Nintendo are apparently pulling a fast one. Never mind the recent release of one of their most-touted blockbusters, New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Never mind that Nintendo are currently working on mainline games from each of their top three console franchises. Never mind Pokemon. None of that matters, because Nintendo are going to go three months without releasing something from their cash-cow franchises. Which, of course, gets them hate. Admit it, they can't do anything right, can they?

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
So where the hell is Duck Hunt on the Wii? When are they finally going to update that? It would be perfect with all the gun attachments they have now.