Bethesda Trademarks Fallout TV, Movie

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008

Recent trademarks filed by Fallout house Bethesda Softworks suggest that the company may be considering turning the franchise into a television series or motion picture.

The world of Fallout's a rich universe, possibly too rich to simply be contained within the confines of a role-playing game of massive scope. As such, Fallout making its way to other entertainment mediums certainly isn't that large a leap of the imagination. Fallout makers Bethesda certainly seem to think so, or have at least considered the possibility. What other reason would they have for filing for trademarks [http://dwellonit.blogspot.com/2009/04/fallout-television-show.html] for Fallout in relation to "entertainment services in the nature of an on-going television program" and "motion picture films about a post-nuclear apocalyptic world."

Can you really trademark movies about a "post-nuclear apocalyptic world?" That seems like calling dibs on an entire genre. That aside, Bethesda could just be covering all their bases here and making sure that they own every single imaginable trademark that could make money from the franchise down the line. Or they could actually be thinking about turning the series into a TV show or movie.

I know most of you guys are pretty adamant in your prejudice against game to movie adaptations, but I can see Fallout working pretty well. I mean, there isn't so much a central story to tell as there is a universe to tell stories within. And if not a movie, then the TV show. Think about it: a sitcom about Three Dog and his crazy co-workers trying to run Galaxy News Radio. It'd be like the real News Radio [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112095/], except with Brotherhood of Steel soldiers instead of Andy Dick.

It could work.

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/17/bethesda-trademarks-fallout-name-for-film-and-television/])

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
And now it's time for "The Real Deal with Bill McNeal!"

What a great show.

I find it odd that they'd make it a show. I hope they'd make it a miniseries, and not a series. Fallout always had closure, and the continuous progression of a story that won't end doesn't strike me as 'Fallout'.

But maybe that's me.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
As long its not Bethesda writting the Tv series...

Also this has been done before...Mad Max...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Keane Ng said:

Fallout house Bethesda
Fallout makers Bethesda
What the hell Keane? INTERPLAY MADE FALLOUT!

Bethesda simply made the latest game.

The rich universe is interplays.

Nov 5, 2007
Aries_Split said:
Keane Ng said:

Fallout house Bethesda
Fallout makers Bethesda

Yeah but Interplay is kinda dead right now.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
Aries_Split said:
Keane Ng said:

Fallout house Bethesda
Fallout makers Bethesda

Yeah but Interplay is kinda dead right now.
Doesn't matter, give Credit where credit is due.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Interplay sold the rights for 53 million. Now Bethesda owns them.

I could see a TV show working. call it "Wasteland", make it about a vault dweller or several Vault Dwellers surviving on the surface. It could be kinda like Lost. They'de be caught in the middle of various groups- The BOS, the fragments of the government, bandits, and survivors.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I'm fine with this as long as Bethesda has nothing to do with it except raking in money from it.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Can you really trademark movies about a "post-nuclear apocalyptic world?" That seems like calling dibs on an entire genre.
I think that just means no one else can use the name "Fallout" for a movie about a post-nuclear apocalyptic world. But they might use it for, say, breakfast cereals or something like that (yes, silly example), because it's not the same entity.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
As a coincidental side note, I'm flying to London tomorrow to hear some big announcement from ... (wait for it) ... Bethesda. If it has anything to do with Fallout, I'll send word back to the home office immediately. You have my word.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Sad part about this is, I really hope they don't make a movie. Look how crap the ending was to their game... imagine sitting through a couple of hours in a cinema with people talking and spilling popcorn on you just to get THAT as an ending.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Milkman Dan said:
Keane Ng said:
Can you really trademark movies about a "post-nuclear apocalyptic world?" That seems like calling dibs on an entire genre.
I think that just means no one else can use the name "Fallout" for a movie about a post-nuclear apocalyptic world. But they might use it for, say, breakfast cereals or something like that (yes, silly example), because it's not the same entity.
Heck, they could even use "Fallout" as the title for something like, say, a romantic comedy without getting into trouble. They just wouldn't be able to have it in a post-nuclear apocalyptic setting.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
They've probably just filed the thing because they want to be owners of the IP when TV and movie execs come koncking with huge amounts of cash.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I could only see it working as a television series if it was less centered around specific characters, and more on the apocalyptic world as a whole, but that probably makes too much sense for them.