PSP-4000 Rumors Gain Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PSP-4000 Rumors Gain Steam

The long-rumored next iteration of the PSP appears to be one step closer to reality as an ad for a LittleBigPlanet [http://www.littlebigplanet.com/] case indicates that it's suitable for all models of the unit, including the PSP-4000.

Rumors of a new UMD-based Engadget [http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/Features] added fuel to the fire by saying that a "reliable tipster" who had previously made an accurate call on the PS3 Slim had dropped the dime on the PSP-4000, which would retain the UMD drive and share shelf space with the PSPgo.

Yet more evidence of an imminent announcement has now turned up in an advertisement for PSP accessories from The Lost Gamer [http://www.accessories4technology.com/] notes, "Accessories4Gamers have made products for previous iterations of the Playstation Portable, as well as the most recent 'Go' model, so surely this isn't a typical print error."

Sony hasn't said a word on the matter so at this point it's still just a rumor, albeit a very strong one. With the cat all but out of the bag, however, it's probably safe to assume that something official will be forthcoming soon.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I wonder if it will be really expensive just so that people will buy the 3000 instead.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
HUBILUB said:
I wonder if it will be really expensive just so that people will buy the 3000 instead.
Its Sony...so, wouldnt be surprised! lol

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
Sony is still quiet about this?
you would think they would come out and just surrender...
oh well. maybe they will drop the psp go and just run with the 4000

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Will someone at Sony please stop leaking information? It's getting quite annoying having to wait another year to make sure I don't get shafted in my purchase.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
And here I am thinking Nintendo spawns the most incarnations of the same handheld. Well Sony, you just won that title.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
What is it with Nintendo and Sony constantly re-releasing their handhelds? I would much rather them stop trying to get us to re-buy a system we already have and give us an entirely new one.

hapipdalia

Mar 17, 2009
PSP4000, seriously? what's wrong with those people? do they really think that having as many versions of the psp is good for business? it's not like game sequels! i guess they got this thing wrong!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So what can we expect with the 4000?

Bluetooth support and maybe a small internal drive, ie the only features of the PSP go anybody wanted. And what's the betting it will share the go's proprietary port in place of the PSP 1-3's mini USB port. Anybody got any ideas for other things they could add, first person to say second thumbstick gets molested with a Haddock.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
God i hope so, I'm still sporting the 1000 and would love to upgrade, but the 2000 and 3000 don't make it worth the cash, and i just plain don't like the GO!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
SICK0_ZER0 said:
God i hope so, I'm still sporting the 1000 and would love to upgrade, but the 2000 and 3000 don't make it worth the cash, and i just plain don't like the GO!
The 3000 is called the "PSP BRITE" for a reason. Just saying.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I may just be old, but I don't really get "portable" gaming. Could someone please explain to me why it's important to release a new portable system every year (seemingly)? I know technology moves fast, but c'mon, that's a bit silly!

jerrrry

I Miss Doraleous.
Oct 26, 2009
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about them releasing a new hardware iteration. Technology is constantly advancing, so why shouldn't they be selling a more modern PSP? It doesn't actually do anything to lessen the PSP you already own. If they were to put out games that only worked with the newest model and not previous ones, I could see that being a problem.
I still own an original PSP and I don't see how any of the newer releases do anything to diminish its usefulness to me. If they eventually release a new revision of the PSP hardware that has enough improvements for me to consider worth the price, then I'll buy it. I won't consider that a problem however, as they offered me a better product that's worth the cost. If it's overpriced for the improvements (in my opinion), I just won't buy it, and once again, it still doesn't hurt me.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Will someone at Sony please stop leaking information? It's getting quite annoying having to wait another year to make sure I don't get shafted in my purchase.
Alot of tipsters isnt it? :D
Well id love a new psp. Screw that go crap. Just improve the 3k and make us all happy :p

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
jerrrry said:
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about them releasing a new hardware iteration. Technology is constantly advancing, so why shouldn't they be selling a more modern PSP? It doesn't actually do anything to lessen the PSP you already own. If they were to put out games that only worked with the newest model and not previous ones, I could see that being a problem.
I still own an original PSP and I don't see how any of the newer releases do anything to diminish its usefulness to me. If they eventually release a new revision of the PSP hardware that has enough improvements for me to consider worth the price, then I'll buy it. I won't consider that a problem however, as they offered me a better product that's worth the cost. If it's overpriced for the improvements (in my opinion), I just won't buy it, and once again, it still doesn't hurt me.
For me at least, it's not so much that it bothers me that the updates are bad or harmful or anything, I just think it would be better (not only for the consumer but for the company as well) if they put more focus on making one huge upgrade instead of these stupid little incremental ones. I just think it's a bad business model.

It's not like with PC components where you can chose which upgrades you want and when you want them. With these handhelds it's an all or nothing affair. Either you buy an entirely new system and scrap the old one or you wait it out and hope it's not too long until they have an upgrade that's worth it.. There is no middle ground.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
It's funny, DS is gearing up the DSi XL, it's fourth iteration of the same generation, and yet it seems less annoying. I don't get a sense of "another one?" that I do with the PSP line. (Okay, I did for the XL but DSi is what 4 months old?)

I think it has something to do with the fact each DS iteration is a drastic mutation of the last, whereas each PSP is more of a mild tweaking (some even have new issues to replace the old ones)