PSP-4000 Rumors Gain Steam

Ianasauras

Feb 23, 2009
Have a Go myself with the memory card so its 32gig so unless the 4000 has huge improvements I wont bother getting it. But as said, it wont lessen my enjoyment of what I already have.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Pyode said:
What is it with Nintendo and Sony constantly re-releasing their handhelds? I would much rather them stop trying to get us to re-buy a system we already have and give us an entirely new one.
i think the main problem there, the majority of handheld owners want to buy the same console over and over (god knows why) and its cheaper to not think of a new idea ;)

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Sony finally got the picture about UMDs. Too bad they aren't releasing the 4000 before Christmas for some inane reason or another.

I don't know why I'm complaining though. I don't use handhelds.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Pyode said:
What is it with Nintendo and Sony constantly re-releasing their handhelds? I would much rather them stop trying to get us to re-buy a system we already have and give us an entirely new one.
They tried that. PSPGO? Yeeeeeeah, they're trying to make it up to PSP fans since the catastrophic failure of the GO.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Vie said:
So what can we expect with the 4000?

Bluetooth support and maybe a small internal drive, ie the only features of the PSP go anybody wanted. And what's the betting it will share the go's proprietary port in place of the PSP 1-3's mini USB port. Anybody got any ideas for other things they could add, first person to say second thumbstick gets molested with a Haddock.
Marik2 said:
If the PSP 4000 has 2 analog sticks than I will consider buying it.
Well, looks like I'm the second, so I get spared the haddock.

It's not gonna happen, more's the pity. Thanks to the recent release of the Go, Sony's not going to make such a crucial change in their handheld for at least two more years.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Hmm, I was looking into buying a DS, but I'll wait for this. I don't really need a handheld right now

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Maybe they will move the joystick so you don't have to be a contortionist to play with it. That said, when will the psp die? Quality games are at a trickle, movie watching is accomplished cheaper/better on phones/ipod(or similar device) Its too big to be convenient, too slow to boot up games for quick 5 min sessions, too clunky to use as an MP3 player, no keypad for browser. It seems almost useless but I guess some ppl like it.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
Maybe they will move the joystick so you don't have to be a contortionist to play with it. That said, when will the psp die? Quality games are at a trickle, movie watching is accomplished cheaper/better on phones/ipod(or similar device) Its too big to be convenient, too slow to boot up games for quick 5 min sessions, too clunky to use as an MP3 player, no keypad for browser. It seems almost useless but I guess some ppl like it.
That's just it, isn't it? THe Evil Empire of Apple is laying siege to the traditional console companies! :eek:

The fact of the matter is that technology these days are coming in smaller, more frequent incremental increases rather than our traditional 'new iteration every 3 years'. We can see this trend with both hardware (the DS/PSP incarnations, addon peripherals and budget/premium models of home consoles), as well as software (DLC). And this is because we're also coming to a real crossroads in portable devices; many smartphones are not only encroaching upon the practicality of handhelds, they are becoming direct market competitors. Will you buy an iPhone, or a PSP? The difference between one little key feature such as superior web browsing can tip the scales massively, and frequent releases are what's happening in an attempt to keep an edge on the competition.

As we've seen in the past, handhelds must evolve or die. And i hate to sound the pessimist, but it seems that Sony/Nintendo thus far are rather slow on the uptake compared to other hardware developers, especially those of smartphones.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Why do the DS and PSP seem to be getting new iterations every few months?

Surely this would put people off actually buying the things?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Not to be outdone, Nintendo immediately announces their plans to release the DS Soft™. Its exactly like the DSi only with Memory Foam buttons for gamers with arthritis. "For a more comfortable button mashing experience!"™

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
On a more serious note, somebody must be buying these fucking things, otherwise it would be a massive money sink.

I do wonder sometimes though, does Sony's R&D Department consist entirely of one dude sitting on a couch doing LSD and smoking weed all day?

Sometimes, it seems like it.

EDIT: Also another thought just occurred to me. The handheld market, with each passing day, is becoming more and more like the PC upgrade market used to be.

Also, I may be wrong on this be Sony's strategy here seems to be something akin to: "Haha, you are such a dipshit! We fooled you into buying a Go when we were planning on one-upping it immediately after release all along! We are so clever!"

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
matrix3509 said:
On a more serious note, somebody must be buying these fucking things, otherwise it would be a massive money sink.

I do wonder sometimes though, does Sony's R&D Department consist entirely of one dude sitting on a couch doing LSD and smoking weed all day?

Sometimes, it seems like it.

EDIT: Also another thought just occurred to me. The handheld market, with each passing day, is becoming more and more like the PC upgrade market used to be.

Also, I may be wrong on this be Sony's strategy here seems to be something akin to: "Haha, you are such a dipshit! We fooled you into buying a Go when we were planning on one-upping it immediately after release all along! We are so clever!"
PSPgo flopped. Not many bought it, which is probably why Sony releases yet another iteration of the PSP.
The Gentleman said:
Will someone at Sony please stop leaking information? It's getting quite annoying having to wait another year to make sure I don't get shafted in my purchase.
And what if it is intentional? You know, like the "leaking" of the airport scene on Modern Warfare 2? I wouldn't put it beyond Sony.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
I never thought of PSP models as the sort of thing where a person with one would feel like they need to get the next. Like there are little tweaks and improvements to your model of car every year but nobody bitches about how it's "not worth upgrading", they just make the best car they can every year.

I'm betting the 4k gets bluetooth and uses the same kind of memory stick as the Go, internal storage... 50-50 chances of that happening.