The Lovecraftian Meteorite

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
The Lovecraftian Meteorite

Meteorites host the dual powers of creation and destruction; it was a meteorite that burst through the atmosphere and cleared an evolutionary path for humans. It may also be a meteorite that destroys our own civilization, as well.

On September 15th, 2007, a meteorite came crashing down on Carancas, a tiny village located in Peru. The villagers swarmed the site and came back with curious maladies:along with rashes and nausea, crackpot theories spread like a contagion. Some believed it was a Russian spy satellite; others believed it was the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Even scientists were baffled:

[blockquote]When I interviewed scientists about the meteorite, they took a different approach than the blogs. The statement I heard most from them was: "I don't know." They seemed unperturbed about the whole affair. They talked about "geometrical effects" and "weak latitude dependence" and referred me to other experts. They accepted the meteorite with curiosity, but also perfect equanimity, which seemed reasonable to me.[/blockquote]

In "When the Sky Comes Out of the Ground," Ray Huling dwells on the mysteries of meteorites, and the Lovecraftian tales we love to come up with when something from the sky comes falling down to Earth. Read "When the Sky Comes Out of the Ground [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_141/3026-When-the-Sky-Comes-out-of-the-Ground]," and share your own theories with us.

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrs_snll/373710073/])

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Edit: Nevermind.

Alright, I don't know what to say. For a plausible explaniation, I would guess radiation.

But for the "lulz"

ITS THE AILEEEENSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Edit Part 2: Apparently, the offical ruling is that it was do to sulfur posioning, or something like that.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I remember the Lovecraft story the colour out of space. It was really a rather good story and one of the ones i found creepiest. But if everything in the area starts having the life sucked out of it and goes grey then i shall be very scared and never go near that place.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Ooh maybe my dear old mother Glakshrukank has sent me another care package from my actual home on Jupi-...uh no I think it's a freak occurence. God only knows.

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
The DSM said:
Its zombies.

SPACE ZOMBIES.

Ill get my shotgun ready....
Corrected, these are basics y'know?

OT:Of course, swine flu's over but the recession not, time to throw in another pandemic in order to keep the population calm and away from the bank directors and presidential homes.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
WOW I just read "The Colour Out of Space" by Lovecraft last night... freaky.
Let us hope this is not the beginnings of the Zombie Uprising, but just in case I am getting ready to move to a secure location.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
More like "The Colour Out of Sp--
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
I remember the Lovecraft story the colour out of space. It was really a rather good story and one of the ones i found creepiest. But if everything in the area starts having the life sucked out of it and goes grey then i shall be very scared and never go near that place.
aaaaaFFFFFFFFFFF

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Nitpicker of the Wastes said:
It was two years ago, people! Stop with the zombie madness, it would have already happened.
Maybe the virus takes time to build up and mutate the people. In any case, I'm grabbing my shotgun and headin to Alaska.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Don't fret 'bout ol' Nahum's farm, now. The eggheads out from Miskatonic didn't turn up nothin' dang'rous 'bout that meteor. Course... no explainin' why 'is whole family turned to ash and them plants withered... but best not to dwell on such things.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
*sigh*
at this point, there's no hope left for humanity, so I might as well have fun with the Zombie Apocalypse. Gotta find myself some attractive teammates and a lot of ammo.
Unless of course it is:
Sevre90210 said:
I'll be the first to say it. Cthulhu.
In that case, we're f**ked.