Sony Explains (Poorly) Why Only PS3 Can Do God of War III

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Explains (Poorly) Why Only PS3 Can Do God of War III

Sony has claimed that upcoming hack-and-slash God of War III [http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968473&sr=1-1] is only doable on the PS3, prompting gamers everywhere to point out "Yes, because you own the IP."

In the struggle between Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 for dominance, key exclusives are seen as the road to success: The Xbox 360 may have Speaking with CVG [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968926&sr=1-1], GOW3's UK product manager Claire Backhouse reinforced the idea that the mythology-slaughtering carnagefest was only possible with the power of Sony's sleek black machine, just like they've claimed with every other PS3 exclusive since freakin' Resistance.

"The dynamic lighting solution employed in GOW III is only feasible through the computing power provided by the Cell SPUs," said Backhouse. "For example, using the High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDRL) technology, the camera - when using Kratos' sightline - will emulate the human retina, causing players to feel a sharp brightness when Kratos exits a dark area and enters a sunlit area, similar to how the human eye would need to adjust."

Okay, I get that GOW3 looks pretty, yes, but something in me finds this to be... less than the most stellar example Backhouse could have used. Not only does this have little to no effect on gameplay (unless Kratos will be spending most of the game from a first-person view repeatedly entering dark and bright areas, which I doubt), it's not the best example to use given that this effect has already been accomplished in a game, and that game was most decidedly not on the PS3.

This exact same visual effect - making the transition between sunny spaces and dark ones jarring to the eye, and simulating how things look blurry when backlit - was used to great effect in Ico [http://www.amazon.com/Ico-Playstation-2/dp/B00004YUWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1282153117&sr=1-1], which was a PS2 game (an early PS2 game, even). Now, while I'm sure that God of War III's version is technologically superior and that Ico was just compensating using stellar art direction and sleight-of-hand, doesn't that suggest that similar effects could be done without the raw power of the PS3, but with developer creativity?

Don't get me wrong, I like my PS3 and I think GOW3 is going to be one fun experience (even if Bayonetta [http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Xbox-360/dp/B000WMEEB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969488&sr=1-1]'s combat makes Kratos look sluggish) but if you're going to trumpet the power of your game, you should really use an example that actually shows it off.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
There's nothing that's on God of War that can't be done on the 360.

I'm a big fan of PS3 (its my favorite system) but sometimes Sony can be a bit smug about what they think is doable on their systems.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Yeah that's a piss poor example.
For a more recent example, didn't the Orange Box also use HDR lighting?
That was on every system (Save the Wii).

What a bizarre example.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Julianking93 said:
There's nothing that's on God of War that can't be done on the 360.

I'm a big fan of PS3 (its my favorite system) but sometimes Sony can be a bit smug about what they think is doable on their systems.
Just Sony trying to be sony, getting everyone to think that black, monolith of sheer power is the one and only console...

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Well well well. If they can make an open-world game with bigger landmass and more little details than Xbox 360 could objectively handle work on a PS3...

...then we'll talk. Untill then, they can stop it with "our graphics are shinier because our console has more processing power" marketing.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
C'mon Sony! You have finally started earning trust in the marketplace again. Don't go opening you stupid mouth and blowing it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Yeah that's a piss poor example.
For a more recent example, didn't the Orange Box also use HDR lighting?
That was on every system (Save the Wii).

What a bizarre example.
Half Life: Lost Coast used HDR and it required Shader Model 2.0 (currently there are 4.0 and 5.0 versions).

So, not a poor example. A bullshit example.

For crying out loud, PCs have more powerful guts than either Xbox360 or PS3.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
JimmyBassatti said:
It says Sony said it, yet it says that the GOW III product manager said it. Anyways, I don't see the big fuss over the game. The second one was fun, but it was average fun. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it wasn't barely fun. Hopefully, this one will be better.
...who is a Sony employee, given that the game is being made in-house :p

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Kollega said:
Well well well. If they can make an open-world game with bigger landmass and more little details than Xbox 360 could objectively handle...

...then we'll talk. Untill then, they can stop it with "our graphics are shinier" marketing.
The thing is, they could lol. Especially with those fancy new blu-ray discs... But, they don't, so who cares?

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
But Xbox has enough buttons!

OT: But seriously, if you just simplify graphics by an unnoticeable bit it would work fine on Xbox. PC should be fine with it, although two mouse buttons don't equate well to four console buttons, the Wii would have to scale down their graphics dramatically.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
the easy way to see what system is better is to end exclusive tittles , and may the best system win ... as for gow3 only on ps3 , IDGAS ... my ps3 and gaming have split ... i think it found out about my 360 and it was my fav for gaming ( OOPS i meant to say titles ,not something silly lkke tittles)

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
Well, assuming that the stories I heard a while ago about this are true, and that the maps on it are as huge as the levels of gore, then it will only be doable on one disk on the PS3 due to the over double amount of Blu-Ray storage space compared to DVDs, and a game like that on 2+ disks, as an X-box 360 version would be like, wouldn't work. Therefore - only works on PS3.

There, that's a much better example and I'm not even a dev.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
"The dynamic lighting solution employed in GOW III is only feasible through the computing power provided by the Cell SPUs," said Backhouse.
And pretty much any mid to high end gaming PC with a halfway decent GPU. Please, get over yourself, the PS3 isn't the be all and end all to gaming systems. The gaming PC will ALWAYS be more powerful than any current generation console, because PC's get better, the console stays the same. I understand that the man wants to talk up his own company's console, but doing it like this has the opposite effect. I'm now convinced that Sony employs a lot of technology ignorant buffoons to head up their projects. This does not persuade me to trust the quality of their games or their console.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Yeah, the lighting is a pretty poor example. Granted exclusive PS3 titles tend to have a certain look to them that I find a bit sharper then Xbox exclusives. Now being a few years into the cycle, maybe IP developers are finally getting the hang of how to use that damn processor.

Most Multi-platform titles don't seem to utilize it, mainly because they have to re-write a good portion of their code.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
The argument "There is so much awesome in this game only the ps3 can handle it" Would have been better than that...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Waiiit a minute, didnt HL2 Ep1/2 have HDR lighting? And they were on the xbox. On top of the fact that the pc had HDR lighting years ago, which defiently was on half life ep 1/lost island, because the PC will always outrank any of the consoles in brute power. oh well I'm not fussed over GoW3, having never played it, this just seems like a poor sales pitch for the ps3.