181: Speech of teh Realm

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
not a zaar said:
RPers are pretty lame. If you want to roleplay, go play DnD. MMORPGs are about numbers and loot, that's it.
Actually, DnD is more about numbers than any MMORPG I've been on. If you really want roleplaying, try GURPS.

That said, I have actually seen and been involved in some decent non-Olde-Englisheth style roleplaying on the WoW. I think it's really better to roleplay online with MMORPGs since
a) You are given a nice fairly customizable visual aid,
b) you can play with friends who live elsewhere easily, and
c) you don't have to memorize hundreds of pages of boring terrible manuals. You can skip the actual calculations and get right into the juicy pretend fun.
Of course, if you are EXTREMELY into playing a character, there's always LARPing but, well, you know. LARPs.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Interesting thread. I'm not a big MMORPG fan, though on occasion I have played some for the PvP, but the PvE grind just leaves me cold. What I don't understand is why anyone would roll on a RP server if they didn't intend to observe the server rules. There are only two possibilities I can think of:

1. Too Stupid or Ignorant.
Someone rolls a character on a RP server in error because they simply don't understand there's a difference between servers. It's inevitable that another player would explain their mistake to them pretty quickly, & they could easily start again on another server.

2. Deliberate Malice.
They roll on a RP server purely to spoil the enjoyment of others. This seems pretty pitiful, but such people do exist.

Essentially they're an idiot, or a different kind of idiot. It really comes down to whether you think the rules should be observed or not. This is an issue with all online games. If you're playing a RTS or FPS & someone's cheating with hacks or exploits then hopefully their IP gets banned. It's simple. Don't like the rules? Then play something else. Why shouldn't anyone expect that?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
catalyst8 said:
Interesting thread. I'm not a big MMORPG fan, though on occasion I have played some for the PvP, but the PvE grind just leaves me cold. What I don't understand is why anyone would roll on a RP server if they didn't intend to observe the server rules. There are only two possibilities I can think of:

1. Too Stupid or Ignorant.

2. Deliberate Malice.
What I've noticed is that a majority of people halfheartedly follow the RP rules by giving generic enough responses to make it not be out of character but not be very unique. They mostly join the server because they hate forced PvP and seeing horrible stupid names with x's and numbers in them because those DO get kicked from at least WoW's RP servers. Or their friends are there. (so sayeth my guildies, so it must be true)

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
The accompanying background image for this article is as full of win as the article. If there was a second picture I would imagine it would be the armored fellow giving the other guy a gauntleted backhand - CRACK! "Mind your station knave!" Hehe...

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
When I had first started playing WoW, I was on an RP server. I was a complete noob and didn't know the rules about being on an RP server(I later moved to a PvE/Normal server). The RP wasn't strictly enforced except by a select, anal-retentive few. Most of us just avoided dropping into net-speak/text-messaging-speak. Even still, on the forums, as with any forum, the English language would be regularly critted into oblivion.

Kiroshimatsu

Oct 17, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Is this better?

LOLWUT? LMAO @ LOL@RP? U LOL @ RP=WIN RP=FAIL OR DIS RP=WIN/FAIL? nOOb!!!!11!
OMG IT BURNS THE EYES...

I used to play on Neverwinter Nights RP servers all the time. The reason why people just don't like playing DnD version of RPing is because I find that a lot of people don't often enjoy RPing in DnD... and besides, it's kind of cool to be able to talk to a wide variety of people that you've never met with an actual avatar of your alter ego.

An enjoyable experience... I recommend it to a lot of people who just aren't into complete hack and slash.

Tekk Man

Dec 2, 2008
A very well written post, my friend. I always enjoy media that switches up moods like this article; the change from an exerpt of a compelling fantasy epic to teh l33T S3RV3R.

Good show.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Kiroshimatsu said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Is this better?

LOLWUT? LMAO @ LOL@RP? U LOL @ RP=WIN RP=FAIL OR DIS RP=WIN/FAIL? nOOb!!!!11!
OMG IT BURNS THE EYES...

I used to play on Neverwinter Nights RP servers all the time. The reason why people just don't like playing DnD version of RPing is because I find that a lot of people don't often enjoy RPing in DnD... and besides, it's kind of cool to be able to talk to a wide variety of people that you've never met with an actual avatar of your alter ego.

An enjoyable experience... I recommend it to a lot of people who just aren't into complete hack and slash.
Yeah, I frequented the RP servers quite a bit back in my Neverwinter Nights days. Loads of fun were had.

I wonder if NWN2 has any good RP servers...

*Shuffles off to install NWN2*

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Ha, Richard Hehemann and his friends of the story were lucky. They could have visited the tavern of Goldshire.

Now there's some classy RP going on. All the time. *shudders*
Time for me to find a PW server on NWN2 that's not French..

Siegreich

Jun 24, 2008
every time i try dnd with with friends it ends up sounding something like this:
Ok guys ill roll on rape
Ok guys ill roll on threesome
well you get the point

teh_v

Jun 29, 2008
anti_strunt said:
Why does "RP" also mean "write like you're a character in a bad Sir Walter Scott novel"? People in the Middle Ages did not talk like that. Most of them probably just cursed all day anyway, so Internetspeak is most likely a more accurate portrayal than faux Shakespearianisms.

Hmm, maybe "RP" means "write and act like you're in a 3rd rate fantasy novel". That would explain a lot...
I totally agree. I play DnD with friend and we all roleplay our characters but none of us use thou's and thee's. All roleplaying means is your going to act as your character would act. IE if your character a 3 foot tall wizard kobolt who has an temper and size issue, you send fireballs at anyone who mocks your size. Not dumb speech like "Doith Sir thou shall hold your tongue when speaking about me height." So all those grammar roleplay diehard's need to lighten up about how people chose to act in character. Not all roleplayers want to play like they're in a bad shakespeareing play.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
anti_strunt said:
Why does "RP" also mean "write like you're a character in a bad Sir Walter Scott novel"? People in the Middle Ages did not talk like that. Most of them probably just cursed all day anyway, so Internetspeak is most likely a more accurate portrayal than faux Shakespearianisms.

Hmm, maybe "RP" means "write and act like you're in a 3rd rate fantasy novel". That would explain a lot...
I agree as well. This is why RP servers are dumb, because it takes everyone three times as long to communicate one-third the information. It is okay to say, "Which way is the tavern?" That is perfectly in character. You don't need to put it all in iambic pentameter.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
very good read, i enjoyed all of it :D

ive never played an RP server on an MMO but i always thought i might try, i do it abit anyway (well, its probably more being stupid than roleplaying) ;)

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I should share this with an old Neverwinter Nights RP server I played on. We did not play up syle, we just had to be in character, ofcourse I got mad at "Those who watch from above silently" and ended up RPing my character leaving, but not before murdering an annoying n00b who could talk properly, but not play so. Good times...gooood times.

Dancinninja

Dec 17, 2008
This brings to mind an instance of play (back when I had the coin to do so) wherein I (a stout dwarf with a particular parchment for ale 'an a 'eavy accent) just could not fathom what this human was blubbering on about. He was talking about a "SEE DEE". Apparently it is some form of music box of some sort. Anyway, when I inquired as to what a see dee was, the man became defensive! Granted, I had a few other things on my mind, such as getting to the tavern post-haste, so I had deduced with me mighty dwarf brain, (made of copper), that it were a drink of some sort. The human became increasingly... shall we say, annoyed at my way of speaking. By the time I had finally gotten me'self a fine stout of ale, I had amassed a bit of a following in the city. Finally, after the sun had passed over a good part of the sky, I actually had the fortune to meet this fellow! I ran up to him, took a bow, and said: "Good eve to ye." His response was merely: "Oh my god" and he disappeared, presumably to where he could get some "see dees"...

I never understood why anyone would order a steak with catchup, only to wipe it off and complain to the chef.

Kiroshimatsu

Oct 17, 2008
anti_strunt said:
This is why RP servers are dumb, because it takes everyone three times as long to communicate one-third the information. It is okay to say, "Which way is the tavern?" That is perfectly in character. You don't need to put it all in iambic pentameter.
Well actually, you CAN just say where is the tavern... some people just like to take the rp a little more to the extreme.

Incompl te

Dec 13, 2008
I find that RP [Role Playing] servers are much more of an enjoyable experience than the normal PVE/PVP [Player Vs. Environment/Player vs. Player] counterpart. You tend to become more in touch with you're character that way. I also find that speaking in a normal way without all the 'LOL' and 'OMG HAXORZ!!!1!one' is more appropriate than "Where is Thou Next Quest for the Fair Lady Bitchen?". It is quite plausible that in the 'Middle Ages' people spoke like us without all the 'Thou' and such. If people want to speak straight out of a Shakespeare play than so be it. People that want to speak like mature people without the 'L33T speak' should be able to too, on the RP servers. Let the 8 year old Legolas' run free yelling their 'OMG I DIED!!!1!HAX!!!' and let the mature gamers play and speak like a proper person should.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Odd thing is...taking for an example WoW, with all the references to 'Thous' and such people are making. The NPC's for the most part -don't- talk like that.

Actually, with regards to actually roleplaying, the only real requirements are that,

1: You do not make references to anything going on in real life, past or present.*

2: You do not speak in the modern vernacular, that is, plain english is generally a'okay, but leave out the smileys :) :p :( etc. and slang.

And really, that's it. It's not that hard to understand.
(*Also, depending on your company at the time, there's nothing wrong with making an occasional pop culture reference, but, don't over do it.)

AS for article, kudos. But, the people in that story, they are by -far- the tamest ooc'ers you're likely to meet haha.

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
Such hearty laughter I have never known. My belly shakes still. This hath given me much amusement, good stranger.

slimer

Nov 17, 2007
RP servers do not enforce old english. It's a misconception based on a stereotype. English (or any language apart from LEET speak) is good enough and stay in character. RPers do tend to have a larger vocabulary and use it in character. Which could be discouraging to the young or the uneducated, as no-one likes to be reminded of their limited intelligence.

There are some great NWN2 RP persistant worlds. And with the release of SoZ, more will be coming.

To those who instantly dismiss RPing, give it a go. It's the best fun gaming I have ever had. By pretending and playing with the concept of 'not self' you gain a greater understanding of what is 'self'.