Dave Mustaine Hints at Megadeth Videogame

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dave Mustaine Hints at Megadeth Videogame

Megadeth [http://megadeth.com/] man Dave Mustaine says he's had "high-level meetings" with Activision and Neversoft about the possibility of making a new kind of music game based on the band.

In Activision [http://www.megadeth.com/scorpion.php] for something different and, in his eyes at least, much better.

"I have recently had two very important high-level meetings with the people from Activision and Neversoft, and we are talking about a lot of things, but a Guitar Hero box set is not as attractive to me and the people from Guitar Hero as the new idea that they offered me, as the creative stuff that we are talking about is over-the-moon!" he said. "I just hope that someone doesn't stand in the way of this happening. I know that there are a lot of really damaging results from our mothership (YouTube [WEA] and Guitar Hero to name just a few."

What could this "new idea" be? Perhaps something along the lines of Guitar Zero, in which the player is required to be kicked out of his band for being an out-of-control alcoholic and then spend the next decade or so of his life obsessing over it and flailing around for some way to prove that he's better than those half-talent jerks ever were. Multiplayer gameplay will be supported but will be unreliable and will automatically kick everyone but the host out of the game after two or three songs.

In spite of his apparent enthusiasm for the project, Mustaine admitted in a previous Q&A [http://www.megadeth.com/scorpion_archive.php?scorpion_id=160] that he's actually not much of a gamer himself. "I am not a gamer, but I do like to play a little bit. I guess you have to grow up with the controller to understand how to use all of the combos patterns," he explained. "I once bought the game, The Punisher, 18 years ago, and I was so overwhelmingly out of control, and I knew it because I had never played and the next thing you know, all I could think about is how do you beat this game. I finally beat it, but it was after a long few days of neglecting my wife, and being really glaringly addicted to the game."

Presumably Mustaine is talking about the 1990 Microprose version of Rust in Peace [http://www.mobygames.com/game/punisher], which coincidentally happens to be the last Megadeth album I ever bought. God, I feel old.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to make of this. I was a pretty big fan back in the day and Megadeth undoubtedly has a lot of miles under its belt, but is there really enough there to support a game based on the band? Megadeth has a few tracks that are great as part of games like Guitar Hero but unless Mustaine is planning to do something like REO Speedwagon's Find Your Own Way Home [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/6906-The-Needles-Find-Your-Own-Way-Home-The-REO-Speedwagon-Game-Review] (which, for the record, I would totally buy) I just don't see a Deth-centric game having a whole lot of mainstream appeal.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Is this going to be "How to repent in the eyes of the lord while still trying to play metal"?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I wonder if its going to be like how Brutal Legend was represented...? If its nothing like Guitar hero having an intresting time wondering what could be involved..

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I just don't see a Deth-centric game having a whole lot of mainstream appeal.
Allow me to be the first to confirm this theory...

I do like the idea of doing a game based on how not to be a rockstar... We've got some great role models to choose from here...

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
" 1990 was also the year that Megadeth released Rust in Peace, which coincidentally happens to be the last Megadeth album that was any good

Fixed.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Freebird95 said:
So to sum up, there might be a Guitar Hero: Megadeth and someone's acting like it's more important than it is.
Given Mustaines "Metallica owes their entire success to me" attitude that's not surprising.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
It should be more like the classic arcade FPS: Aerosmith Revolution - an Operation Wolf style FPS where you shoot future cops on roller blades.

Don't Give Up!!!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
So.. he's trying be Metallica as usual, by getting a videogame out like they did?
Andy Chalk said:
1990 was also the year that Megadeth released Rust in Peace [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_in_Peace], which coincidentally happens to be the last Megadeth album I ever bought. God, I feel old.
The newest one, Endgame, is worth checking out.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Sweating Bullets could be a great level! Don't know how, but it has such potential. Go to Hell could be the obligatory God of War death and redemption from Hell level too.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
DarkSaber said:
" 1990 was also the year that Megadeth released Rust in Peace, which coincidentally happens to be the last Megadeth album that was any good

Fixed.
Dude Countdown to Extinction and Youthinasia were great albums. They may not have been thrash metal (blame figure -> Marty Friedman's desire to ave an asian harem and Dave's insecurity with Metallica) but they were still awesome.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Eh, it's a shame. Personally, I would have preferred a Rock Band deal. At least ANYTHING to deny the pontential existence of Green Day: Rock Band...

Also, that's a weird coincidence about The Punisher video game. "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" is a song that features The Punisher, and it was on Rust In Peace.

Or was that common knowledge already? I just recently got into Megadeth.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Level design
Liar - Play as Chris Poland in rehab
In My Darkest Hour - Play as Cliff Burton slaying hells minions with his bass guitar
Dawn Patrol - Like fallout and playing as Dave Ellefson wondering the nuclear wasteland with his bass trying to find Mustaine so he can rejoin Megadeth
The Conjuring - Peace Sells... But Who's buying lineup defeating satanists in a third person shooter style.
Heacrusher - Escape a torture house with a crushed head.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
So.. he's trying be Metallica as usual, by getting a videogame out like they did?
Andy Chalk said:
1990 was also the year that Megadeth released Rust in Peace [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_in_Peace], which coincidentally happens to be the last Megadeth album I ever bought. God, I feel old.
The newest one, Endgame, is worth checking out.
Iron Maiden did it first, so Metallica just followed Iron Maiden (but you can't really sell out in metal if you were around in the 1969-1983) and Mustaine always thinking (no knowing) he can beat Metallica at anything they do is just following behind.

But didn't the Peace Sells album come out on Rock Band so why does he need to go further.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
aruseusx said:
Level design
Liar - Play as Chris Poland in rehab
In My Darkest Hour - Play as Cliff Burton slaying hells minions with his bass guitar
Dawn Patrol - Like fallout and playing as Dave Ellefson wondering the nuclear wasteland with his bass trying to find Mustaine so he can rejoin Megadeth
The Conjuring - Peace Sells... But Who's buying lineup defeating satanists in a third person shooter style.
Heacrusher - Escape a torture house with a crushed head.
You win.

FWIW, United Abominations is a decent album too. But Rust is definitely the best. Still love playing the opening bass part from "Five Magics".

Mar 16, 2009
DarkSaber said:

Fixed.
You can go bugger off. Countdown, Youthanasia, and Endgame are amazing albums.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
"What could this "new idea" be? Perhaps something along the lines of Guitar Zero, in which the player is required to kicked out of his band for being an out-of-control alcoholic and then spend the next decade or so of his life obsessing over it and flailing around for some way to prove that he's better than those half-talent jerks ever were. Multiplayer gameplay will be supported but will be unreliable and will automatically kick everyone but the host out of the game after two or three songs."

This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Sounds like Dave to try and go one better than just having a GH game dedicated to him, like a certain other band...

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
What could this "new idea" be? Perhaps something along the lines of Guitar Zero, in which the player is required to kicked out of his band for being an out-of-control alcoholic and then spend the next decade or so of his life obsessing over it and flailing around for some way to prove that he's better than those half-talent jerks ever were. Multiplayer gameplay will be supported but will be unreliable and will automatically kick everyone but the host out of the game after two or three songs.
Could this be the most hilarious bit ever posted on the escapist? I think it might be!