Ad Parody Video Personifies FarmVille

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ad Parody Video Personifies FarmVille

Ever wondered what the FarmVille phenomenon is all about? Some guy on YouTube explains it perfectly.

YouTube person Tobuscus has released a parody FarmVille advertisement that perfectly relates my own feelings for the life-stealing Facebook game. Anyone struggling with a farming addiction should get a chuckle out of it.

FarmVille, and other games developed by Zynga, have gotten a bad rap in the past. This is probably because Zynga's CEO admitted he turned a blind eye to scumbag offers attached to his games to make some bread. These have since been removed, but scumbag offers or not, FarmVille has always been the same terrible game that makes you want to play it anyway.

I'll admit it, the whole reason I made this post was because I hate FarmVille and I want anyone that plays it to feel bad. This is a part of my personality that I realize I need to work on. FarmVille is not inherently evil. It does not take candy from babies, it doesn't throw puppies into woodchippers, and it doesn't rip the wings off of penguins. It's just very simple, and probably enjoyed by millions of people who want to play a simple game.

This video says it all; the typical non-gamer demographic of middle-aged female Facebook users is one group having plenty of fun obsessing over FarmVille. Lots of other people, including myself for about a month, like to level up their characters RPG-style so they can add more phat lootz to their farms. The aspect of social interaction is another draw, as FarmVille players can visit other farms and futz around on them. For gamers, FarmVille is a huge pile of crap, because we have stuff to play like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Uncharted 2. For non-gamers that don't want to spend ungodly amounts of money on videogames, FarmVille works just fine.

So no, FarmVille is not a good game, but I'm fine with people playing it. What's the difference between clicking on a farm over and over in FarmVille and clicking on skeletons over and over in Diablo? Clicking on skeletons is fun, that's what, but there are probably plenty of people who think the opposite, and it's okay that they exist.

And, to my neighbors, please stop sending me gifts. I've moved away, and I'm not coming back. I almost played FishVille, but no, just no.

(Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232184])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I agree with that last statement x.x People keep sending me stuff and so annoying!

Also, that video did make me chuckle!

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
This is pretty much how I feel towards most RPGs, especially MMORPGs.

"EVER WANTED TO GET A BORING AND REPETITIVE JOB? Tired of being PAID to work? You wanna PAY to work? WELL NOW YOU CAN!"

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
I loved the video, especially the beginning: "Are you tired of games that are fun?" "Hehe, no YES!" "Me too. Fun SUCKS!"

Never played FarmVille, but I spend approximately a minute a week on my FaceBook account.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
This feels a lot like a Power Thirst commercial. Which only makes it funnier.

"Hey, ma, I wanted on the computer an hour ago."
"Not yet, I'm still farming!"

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Caliostro said:
"EVER WANTED TO GET A BORING AND REPETITIVE JOB? Tired of being PAID to work? You wanna PAY to work? WELL NOW YOU CAN!"
I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscibe to your magazine.

I have enough problems with pokemon, I don't need any more RPGs.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
So friggin true, never played it, never will. Complete waste of time haha, but this video is perfect.

-Joe

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
That video was two things.

#1)Funny as something well..Funny.
#2)Favorited on my youtube account.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
But...but...I love fishville!

I can't have real fish.

So far as that company goes its a clear case of

Boredom enhanced clicking
Level addiction
????
Profit!

but they figured out what ???? was.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
[HEADING=2]Fun SUCKS![/HEADING]

That was very well done. When I visited my father over Christmas he had some friends from over, the mother and her twelve year old daughter were discussing Farmville. It was at the same time a chilling reflection of my former self and facepalm worthy conversation over the most inane of things.

Edit, he's done a Mafia Wars follow up too it seems.

Direct link. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kNjC50BzB0]

AgentChunk

Jul 27, 2009
That was great. I remember a time when everyone at my high school was addicted to this game. Me included, and I was a god at it. Seriously people begged me to be their neighbor so they could get horses and junk. Then I got bored of it and slowly everyone else did too. So yeah I guess I owe farmville my one moment of popularity but on the other hand it's crap.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I played for a bit at the behest of some friends, but like all Flash games it soon got so thoroughly, indescribably dull that I just stopped. I have real games on both my desktop and laptop.