Final Fantasy XIII Gets European Collector's Edition

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Fantasy XIII Gets European Collector's Edition

European Final Fantasy fans, rejoice: There will be a confirmed Limited Edition of the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII, and it will be really, really cool.

These days, it almost seems rarer for a big-name title to not get a Collector's Edition release than the other way around, so the news that Final Fantasy fanatics will be able to pick up a super-duper special edition when it comes out this March shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Still, it's always nice to have official word: After briefly appearing on the Gamestop Italy site [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232141] earlier this week, the existence of a Final Fantasy XIII Limited Edition has been confirmed by Square-Enix - at least, its European release has, anyway.

The special release will set you back €79.98 (£70.07, $112.99), which is certainly a fair chunk of change for a videogame - it's no CoD MewTwo Prestige Edition, sure, but it's definitely not inexpensive. Still, one could argue that you get your money's worth, as the Final Fantasy XIII Limited Collector's Edition will include:

-Final Fantasy XIII (natch)
-Final Fantasy XIII Original Sound Selection (A selection of songs from the game chosen by composer Masashi Hamauzu)
-The World of Final Fantasy XIII (A hardcover art book featuring "character artwork, CG rendered artwork and environments from across the game's production")
-Exclusive Art Prints (Three pieces depicting the various Eidolons - that is, the summoned monsters - that the protagonists use in combat)
-Unique 'Brand of the l'Cie' Decal (a
collectible decal featuring the most iconic symbol from the game's storyline")

And, of course, it'll all come packaged in a special box for you to put on your shelf and admire lovingly. I have to admit, I'm a huge sucker for art books, so the fact that this edition includes a hardcover art book might single-handedly make it worth the asking price.

No word on whether or not this will see a UK or US release, but I'd say it's a safe bet that we'll be seeing something, even if it isn't this exact package. We better, anyway.

Update: Apparently, our UK readers have indeed been able to preorder the FF13 Collector's Edition [http://www.game.co.uk/search.aspx?s=final+fantasy+xiii] for £59.99. Go you guys. (Thanks, jh322!)

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232463])

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
John Funk said:
No word on whether or not this will see a UK or US release, but I'd say it's a safe bet that we'll be seeing something, even if it isn't this exact package.
Am I going backwards, or is the UK not in Europe anymore?

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
I had a nerdgasm reading this. I must get for I LOVE FF. I can always import if its not stateside. AND it would be my first import for my favorite game series.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
If it gets released in the UK as a Limited Edition, rather than just mainland Europe, then I'm definitely getting this. Normally I don't much care for limited edition stuff unless it's a bargain (like the Dreamfall one which had the game, it's prequel, the OST and an art book, for just £15) or it has some extras that include something regarding plot exposure (such as Halo Wars which also had a prequel graphic novel).

But with this, it just looks awesome enough for me to get it regardless of cost. Fine, I may be saving up for quite some time, but it should be worth it :D.

jh322

May 14, 2008
I just ordered this from game.co.uk for £59.99

DO IT NOW!!!!

EDIT: so looking forward to playing other games once I'm done with FFXIII to the soundtrack once it's uploaded onto my xbox. WINNER! AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EXCITEMENT I TOTALLY HAVE THIS BEING DELIVERED TO MY HOUSE ON RELEASE DAY! BOW DOWN!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Sparrow said:
John Funk said:
No word on whether or not this will see a UK or US release, but I'd say it's a safe bet that we'll be seeing something, even if it isn't this exact package.
The British Islands migrated to some other part of Earth. I thought you knew, it was all over the news! I believe they now part of Argentina.

Khell_Sennet said:
Hold up...
John Funk said:
-Final Fantasy XIII Original Sound Selection (A selection of songs from the game chosen by composer Masashi Hamauzu)
Either that is an obscure translation of the name Nobuo Uematsu, or there is something VERY wrong with this Final Fantasy.
There is no Nobuo Uematsu in FFXIII

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I'm not in Europe or I'd get this edition.

Not getting too hyped about this game. But still getting it DAY ONE.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Sparrow said:
John Funk said:
Sometimes continental Europe gets different stuff to the UK. No idea why.

What exactly is the decal supposed to be, a temporary tattoo?

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Hold up...
John Funk said:
Either that is an obscure translation of the name Nobuo Uematsu, or there is something VERY wrong with this Final Fantasy.
Nobuo hasn't been a direct contributor to Final Fantasy for years! He branched out and formed his own production company called Smile Please, he passed on the major work of FFXIII to Masashi and Nobuo's doing the ENTIRE soundtrack of FFXIV Online. Therefore, FFXIV will be freakin' amazing.

Now, as for the Collector's Edition.. Hopefully European release means Australian, seeing as that's PAL. All I've seen from our EBGames is that you get an FFXIII 2010 calender if you pre-order. Y.. Yay?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I want this game quite a bit, but not sure the collectors edition is worth it

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Sparrow said:
John Funk said:
The British Islands migrated to some other part of Earth. I thought you knew, it was all over the news! I believe they now part of Argentina.

Khell_Sennet said:
Hold up...
John Funk said:
Wait.... No Nobou Uematsu.... Where is the main Square Enix office? I have some anger to unleash. :mad:

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Ben Legend said:
oliveira8 said:
Sparrow said:
John Funk said:

Khell_Sennet said:
Hold up...
John Funk said:
Wait.... No Nobou Uematsu.... Where is the main Square Enix office? I have some anger to unleash. :mad:
He hasn't been a part of Square Enix for years, he only did a few tracks with FFX and FFXI and I think he did one track in FFXII.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
I...thank you for this news.

It shall be pre-ordered tomorrow o_O I need to stop buying Special Editions, just looking at the amount I have...it's addictive however...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Ben Legend said:
He left Square-Enix 6 years ago, I believe. I believe the reason was cause he no longer felt inspired to compose new music for FF.

Edit:Though he is returning in FFXIV.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
jh322 said:
I just ordered this from game.co.uk for £59.99

DO IT NOW!!!!
Considering I will probably be able to get this from my local supermarket at midnight on the release day for £40, I don't think I'll be coughing up £20 for an art book and a soundtrack. I do feel slightly dirty by not buying it though.

jh322

May 14, 2008
John Funk said:
Update: Apparently, our UK readers have indeed been able to preorder the FF13 Collector's Edition [http://www.game.co.uk/search.aspx?s=final+fantasy+xiii] for £59.99. Go you guys. (Thanks, jh322!)

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232463])

Fixed, you missed a " on the link :)

EDIT: discovering the thankyou on that while quoting was a pleasant surprise, you're very welcome