Rock Your Blocks Off With LEGO Rock Band

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rock Your Blocks Off With LEGO Rock Band

The rumors are true: LEGO Rock Band is real and it's coming this year.

The existence of the game Guitar Hero [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90719] franchises, among them one labeled very clearly with the word LEGO. Further evidence came in a later slide referring to an unannounced project that Teasdale would be showing at GDC; it was all quite compelling except for the simple fact that the whole idea seemed a bit silly.

But silly or not, it's now official: MTV [http://www.wbie.com/] are getting together to rock the blocks in LEGO Rock Band, a "family friendly music experience" aimed at teens and tweens. LEGO Rock Band will feature multiplayer rock 'n' roll action combined with the "fun, customization and humor" of the LEGO game series and will support standard Rock Band instruments and other music game controllers.

The game will ship with music suitable for young gamers including "Song 2" by Blur, "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas, "The Final Countdown" by Europe, "Boys and Girls" by Good Charlotte and "So What" by Pink. Gamers will rock out in a wide variety of locations done LEGO style and will be able to customize their avatars, bands and entourage.

"LEGO Rock Band is built around the same values of imagination and family-friendly creative role play that is present in other LEGO videogames," said LEGO Group Vice President Henrik Taudork Lorensen. "It will deliver innovative new elements of game play that complement the fun of the Rock Band experience."

LEGO Rock Band is being developed for the Nintendo DS [http://www.xbox.com] and is scheduled for release in time for Christmas 2009.

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/tcelestino/2078015894/])

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Finally. All my life I've been looking to merge my love of music with my love of miniature plastic construction blocks, and now it's come true. Thanks Harmonix! ^-^

Seriously, where will LEGO go from here?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This isn't going to rock, this is going to brick!

Lego brick, that is!

Also, THE DS?! HOW?!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
This isn't going to rock, this is going to brick!

Lego brick, that is!

Also, THE DS?! HOW?!
Think even MORE hand-cramping peripherals! Seriously, I hate that Guitar Hero thing. It makes me feel like my joints are about to catch on fire.

But this could be interesting, I'll wait to see how it winds up looking.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Those won't work with the DSi, which has no expansion port. They'd better get out the door with that quick if they want to sell anything before people either can't buy because they already upgraded or won't buy because they plan to upgrade soon.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
shMerker said:
Those won't work with the DSi, which has no expansion port. They'd better get out the door with that quick if they want to sell anything before people either can't buy because they already upgraded or won't buy because they plan to upgrade soon.
...or you have to say the note into the mic...

RED! GREEN! BLUE! ORANGE! BLUE! YELLOW!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
sounds like itl look kewl in screenshots & promovids, & be completely pointless as an actual game.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Imagine the drums on the DS.

Sitting there with your DS on your lap and carefully aiming two styluses to tap minidrums on the touch screen.

Charming, I say. Charming

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
shMerker said:

Added bonus: it stimulates your Lego prefrontal cortex.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
shMerker said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
shMerker said:

Added bonus: it stimulates your Lego prefrontal cortex.
It also has RPG elements. Which make everything better!

The Brian J

Apr 18, 2009
Is...is there a point to this game?

Seriously, is there? I understand the appeal of stuff like Lego Indiana Jones and what not, since it's funny to see famous characters represented as choking hazards, but ROCK BAND? Is this necessary at all?

I mean, It's a cute little idea, but it seems more like something you'd play on a flash game on a website rather than a major console...

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
*bangs head on table*
Ok seriously, you cant just expect to slap the word "LEGO" on everything and hope it's a success. It might be, but seriously, stop with all the damn lego games.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Danzorz said:
This Idea Seems Very Retarded. It Will Fail, I Shall Laugh.
I think it's supposed to be retarded, in which case it stand a good chance of being self-aware and funny. Didn't you play the Lego Star Wars games?

WinterSoldier said:
Just another brick in the wall...
We don't need no brick collections
We don't need no build control
No Lego Batman in the kids' room
Teacher leave them blocks alone...

(I'd better stop)