Classic Alien Vs Predator Gets Multiplayer on Steam

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Classic Alien Vs Predator Gets Multiplayer on Steam

The 1999 Xenomorph classic is now back in the multiplayer game, thanks to a new patch from developer Rebellion.

The version of Alien vs. Predator [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-vs-Predator-Xbox-360/dp/B001TOQ8MU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280174745&sr=1-1] released earlier this month was pretty special, including all the content from 2000s Gold edition, as well as bonus content from the Millennium add-on pack. One thing it lacked however, was multiplayer; but as of yesterday, multiplayer was reinstated following a patch from Rebellion Developments.

The multiplayer patch will allow players to search for and join matches their friends are playing in. However, dedicated server functionality is not included in this patch, and is not planned for any future patches either.

Revisiting the Gold Edition is a great way to get ready for the new AvP game, which will be released in just a few weeks; or a great introduction to the franchise for those who missed it the first time. Alien vs. Predator Classic Gold can be picked up on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/] for about five bucks.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177766]

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Wow rebellion, you're slowly winning my heart and becoming my favorite developer...if you keep this up...I just might cry

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
And as I still try and make AVP2 to work on xfire I look at this... lucky Escapists...

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Now my friend HAS to buy the game, since the lack of multiplayer was the only thing holding him back from buying it as well.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
My hatred of Steam aside, when I read "Xenomorph" I though "Xenophobe" and was mildly excited:

...needless to say, I'm disappointed in both it not being Xenophobe and in my crappy reading skills. :p

I'll just wait to see what the new AvP game brings. Or hit MAME up for the true classic:

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
I had the original when it came out. This game was so great and I am hoping the new one will be like the first one. The second wasn't that good. :\ You couldn't kill the lights as an Alien to hunt those dang Marines in the dark. LoL As a Marine, you would be hiding in a corner with your shoulder lamp... ah, fun times!

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Nouw said:
And as I still try and make AVP2 to work on xfire I look at this... lucky Escapists...

Won't work pal, AvP2 servers went down a year or so back.
Devestating AVP2 addicts like me :(
There was a fan-made "patch" to try and revive the MP, but sadly it never really caught on, the online is dead sadly.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
gee.....if they let people host their own severs and junk they would not have to make deals with steam for it........ bah humbug!!!!
god I am the game Scrooge ><

TarkXT

Sep 7, 2009
I used to kick supreme butt as one of the xenos in multiplayer in AvP2.

And I was one of the regular xenos.

Not any of those fancy screaming preddies or phallic runners or big honking targets.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
If you haven't played it first time around you owe it to yourself. It has more pants peeing moments than any other shooter. The single player as marine or alien is totally stressful because you die really quick and there are no fixed spawn points. To the marine every alien is superfast and superfatal. There were no fixed light sources and, at least before gold, no save points.

The original perfectly captured the feel of the movies, AVP2 was a pale comparison. When I attacked people with the alien my friends would ask each other "Where did he come from?" and the answer that I most heard was "Everywhere."

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Nouw said:

Won't work pal, AvP2 servers went down a year or so back.
Devestating AVP2 addicts like me :(
There was a fan-made "patch" to try and revive the MP, but sadly it never really caught on, the online is dead sadly.
Well actually, I got to play it! I got it to work! I felt really good...

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Wait, wait, wait. Are we talking about the game that came out before Aliens vs. Predator 2, published by Sierra, developed by Monolith? You see, I loved the sequel; I played the multiplayer to death.

How does the original compare to the sequel?