Watch the Dante's Inferno Super Bowl Spot Now

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Watch the Dante's Inferno Super Bowl Spot Now

Why wait until the Super Bowl to watch the $3 million Dante's Inferno [http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Inferno-Divine-Playstation-3/dp/B001NX6GBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279312350&sr=1-1] commercial when you could do it right now?

Yesterday, we learned that Electronic Arts had spent $3 million dollars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97928-The-End-Is-Nigh-Dantes-Inferno-Super-Bowl-Ad] purchasing 30 seconds of ad time in order to show off Dante's Inferno during the upcoming Super Bowl XLIV.

And now, as it turns out, we don't have to wait - EA has posted the commercial (seen here) to YouTube. I don't quite understand why EA's marketing department would take the oomph out of its own sails by revealing the spot before the Super Bowl proper, but hey, it's their $3 million, not mine.

Given the brilliantly imaginative (and controversial) marketing campaign we've seen for Dante's Inferno thus far, it's kind of disappointing that the game's grand finale would be a ... relatively straightforward cinematic sequence with Dante cutting a swath through the legions of Hell in search of Beatrice. It shows off the game's imaginative enemy design, sure, but where's the controversy? This is a game with topless female lust demons, evil babies, and floppy demon wang [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97043-Dantes-Inferno-Rated-M-for-Floppy-Demon-Wang], for crying out loud!

EA had a chance here to make the furor over Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" look like a polite Sunday School discussion, and they dropped the ball. Though, knowing some audiences, directly telling everybody watching to "Go to Hell" might be enough on its own.

But it's no floppy demon wang, that's for certain.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Very nice. I like the music and how it isn't the ultra-dramatic score used in the regular trailers. Quite fitting for the more general audience that watches the Superbowl.

That said, for a Superbowl Commerical, it wasn't that special.

Edit: Also, it is nice that EA's marketing team on this project got their heads out of their asses and started back on the more traditional advertising mediums. Those stunts from last year left a bad taste in some of our mouths.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Your assuming this is the real super bowl add, I mean with all EA have done putting up a fake add is nothing really.

I thought it was all right as adds go

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
The big demon schlong and vagina monsters put me off. I don't want my family walking in while I am being beat to death with a deadly penis.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Well that was kind of...well, average. Not bad but not great either.

Pengupower

Nov 23, 2009
I know you would like something bigger but CBS already forced them to change the ad for the Super Bowl. The ad they will show there isn't going to say Go to Hell but instead Hell awaits. I'm assuming anything more then that would probably not be allowed by CBS. This gets even further complicated by some of the attention the other ads have gotten from the news media.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
What a dropped ball that is. We go from the most entertaining ad campaign ever to this?

Not that I'd planned on playing it anyway.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Looks like they decided to play it safe for this one... Not a bad decision, considering it's meant for a different audience than the average 'gamer'.

Nothing impressive, but not bad.

Apr 28, 2008
They should be careful about marketing towards a more "mainstream" audience.
Could invoke a lot of bad publicity.

Although that may be what their going for, looking at the marketing for the game, I wouldn't be suprised.

Fairly decent ad though, not sure if its worth 3 million dollars but hey, what do I know.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
John Funk said:
Though, knowing some audiences, directly telling everybody watching to "Go to Hell" might be enough on its own.
Except they're not allowed to show it. CBS rejected the ad [http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/02/ea-dantes-inferno-super-bowl-ad-.html] with that tagline, so it's being changed for the actual commercial to "Hell Awaits".

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I see that two things.

1. John may not read other peoples articles :)

2. They have put a shirt on the girl. Certainly NOT something there in the actual game, I can assure you.