LEGO Star Wars III Coming This Autumn

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
LEGO Star Wars III Coming This Autumn

LucasArts announced that Traveler's Tales games is making a third Lego Star Wars game based on the Clone Wars animated series.

The same team at TT Games that made the first Star Wars Lego games is busy crafting LEGO® Star Wars™ III: The Clone Wars™ [http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Star-Wars-III-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0037UCT0O/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280156937&sr=1-3], complete with all of the necessary trademarks. The game will feature all the characters from the two seasons of the animated series, plus some old favorites. You can choose to play as a Jedi or a Separatist and Lego Star Wars III offers new gameplay features including head-to-head combat and Lightsaber attacks. LucasArts stated that it will be released on all platforms and handhelds (Wii, PS3, 360, DS, PSP, PC) sometime in Autumn 2010.

Keeping the series alive was a no-brainer for LucasArts, despite the lack of more movies on which to base the game. "The LEGO® Star Wars franchise is a massive hit with fans, bringing in sales of over 20 million units worldwide," said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts.

Rodriguez expects the new installment will be "delivering the humor and fun players expect from this award-winning franchise."

I enjoy the Lego games for the most part. They are worth a few laughs at the expense of the source material, but I just can't spend tons of time playing them. It's my compulsive videogame completeness syndrome. I know that there are so many damn secrets doors and pips that I'm missing and I can't force myself to ignore them. So I get frustrated going up and down each level, until my brain explodes and I have to turn it off.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Collecting things (usually for achievements/trophies) is the most frustrating thing in some games. It's one reason I never bothered with the Lego games even though they are developed down the road from me. I really should go and try to steal some goodies from them.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I totally know what you're talking about having played through the LEGO Batman game for the DS. I "beat" the game but never "completed" it as I'd have to do so using a variety of characters just to pick up all the secret bits and whatnots. I think that's what's kept me from going back to the LEGO Indiana Jones (Xbox360) game, just knowing there's so much to find in it makes me not want to start.

As for another LEGO Star Wars game, why not? They're cute, easy for the younger kids while still being challenging enough for the older folks. Plus, they're obviously still a money-maker so it would seem silly not to make another one.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
When Lego minifigs lampoon classic Star Wars, it's funny. If they're going to joke about CG-animated spinoff, well... where's the point in that?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Sounds like they just wanted to cash in on another Lego Star Wars and looks like they haven't got any story left

People will buy this because it's a Lego game but I seriously doubt it will be as good as the other 2 because it's a Lego game but if it's good I will be surprised. At least from a star wars fan point of view

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Kollega said:
When Lego minifigs lampoon classic Star Wars, it's funny. If they're going to joke about CG-animated spinoff, well... where's the point in that?
Count me in on this as well, what's the bloody point?

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
Is 'Clone Wars' really that much of a cash cow? What if they did some of the post-episode 6 stuff in the lego format? Or the old republic? I have absolutely no desire to play as Anakin or that damn 12 year old.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I was hoping that they would make a whole sequel trilogy out of these LEGO guys. Clearly the video games have better humanity and emotion than anything George Lucas has personally made in twenty years.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Oh great, lego versions of Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Capt. Rex, other Jedi not already shown in the first two games, and more droid designs. Well, at least it'll be funny.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Greg Tito said:
I enjoy the Lego games for the most part. They are worth a few laughs at the expense of the source material, but I just can't spend tons of time playing them. It's my compulsive videogame completeness syndrome. I know that there are so many damn secrets doors and pips that I'm missing and I can't force myself to ignore them. So I get frustrated going up and down each level, until my brain explodes and I have to turn it off.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about?
Well I know how you feel but I just suck it up. Its not until I have everything that I can never go back to it.

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
God damnit.

This will be basically me playing the same game the FOURTH time (LSW I, LSW II, and then The Complete Saga)... But damn does TT make good games.

Anyway, it's interesting to see a wooden dummy of an actor converted into a CGI wooden dummy, and then converted into a video game plastic dummy. Though I guess the plastic outcome will still have more chemistry and charisma than our dear duo Anakin & Padme.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Pills_Here said:
Is 'Clone Wars' really that much of a cash cow? What if they did some of the post-episode 6 stuff in the lego format? Or the old republic? I have absolutely no desire to play as Anakin or that damn 12 year old.
That would be awesome, but I could count the people that would buy it on my fingers ^^

Not saying that older people can't play LEGO Star Wars, but we are certainly not the target audience. Without having any statistics, I'd guess that the people who play LEGO games for nostalgia are in minority. Among the majority of people who play LEGO games, The Clone Wars is crazy popular, Expanded Universe novels and Bioware games on the other hand... not so much.

That said (and basically the point I'm trying to get to). It would be pretty interesting if they decided to make a game based on the post ep. VI EU novels. I have no love for them myself, but I'd take it over TFU2 any day -.-

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can't help but feel they are milking this cow for more than it's worth...

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Lego Star Wars III: Return to Beating the Darth Horse.

And where the hell is my Lego Spider-Man? Lego Justice League or Society? Lego Avengers? Lego Farscape? C'mon; the possibilities for making money are endless.