A View From The Road: Fail to the King

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From The Road: Fail to the King

Last week, top WoW raiders killed the Lich King - but at what cost?

Read Full Article

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Nice to see people who cheat get in trouble for it. They had it coming.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This was a great article! I cannot stand WoW but I was thoroughly entertained and genuinely interested in what was being said. Great article!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
How do these kinds of bugs exist? How badly would the programming be that a aoe attack heals the destructable floor(at least, that's how I interpretted it)?
It's people like that that ruined Guild Wars. They keep using cheap tactics and bugs to farm everything so that everyone else's real achievements look worse by comparison. That guild deserved it.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Much ado about nothing indeed. Why care if you are not in Ensidia or Paragon?
Good article.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
AvsJoe said:
This was a great article! I cannot stand WoW but I was thoroughly entertained and genuinely interested in what was being said. Great article!
Same here, its nice to see someone is as angry at this kind of stuff as I am

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I had read about this a while ago and checked out their guild site in curiosity. For progression runs you have to be available all the time. No ifs ands or buts, or you're out. This is why I quit WoW and later learned to resent it. The ridiculous demand for you to meet your guild's schedule, which can very well be absurd hours, no matter what.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Interesting

I have always hated MMORPGs, but the political/scandelous stuff that happens on them (particularly EVE) fascinates me

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Well the siege damage came from using a bomb that was used on all other encounters by rogues for max dps, but I really don't care about Ensidia.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
oppp7 said:
How do these kinds of bugs exist? How badly would the programming be that a aoe attack heals the destructable floor(at least, that's how I interpretted it)?
It's people like that that ruined Guild Wars. They keep using cheap tactics and bugs to farm everything so that everyone else's real achievements look worse by comparison. That guild deserved it.
Siege Damage is something that's intended for use in PvP siege warfare, for example the battle in Wintergrasp, and it's usually caused by piloting one of the siege vehicles (or, in this case, the Engineer-crafted bombs). I don't know if it's just not something that they thought of testing or what.

Honestly, the code in WoW is so convoluted and snarled after five years of fixes, patches, hotfixes, and the like that it's almost not surprising. I would not be surprised if Cataclysm included some severe streamlining of the code.

ItsAPaul said:
Well the siege damage came from using a bomb that was used on all other encounters by rogues for max dps, but I really don't care about Ensidia.
It's 16.6 extra DPS. The Lich King had 75 million HP, and their rogues were already flirting with 10k DPS here. Hardly essential.

If it had been, say, an extra 300 DPS like the poison-swapping thing? Then sure, I could have understood that, but this was such a trivial increase in damage.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
You're not alone on being stuck on Festergut, I hate that fight!

OT: Seems so trivial, but going for a record first on such a legendary boss and thinking of cheating is... well... dirty. It cheapens the race to be number one! I find it hard to believe that they couldn't possibly foresee some kind of punishment for their actions.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I want to know why blizzard started being so anal about the exploits to make the fights easier. I remember doing bugs back in the day for bosses like Geddon, Shazz, Onyxia, and even in BC for Prince, Vashj, and many many others. I haven't played in a while so correct me if I am wrong, but all the way through BC and into the first part of lich the Mag fight and the Prince fight still had incredible exploits that were used by many with no such consequences.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
John Funk said:
It's 16.6 extra DPS. The Lich King had 75 million HP, and their rogues were already flirting with 10k DPS here. Hardly essential.

If it had been, say, an extra 300 DPS like the poison-swapping thing? Then sure, I could have understood that, but this was such a trivial increase in damage.
Well I think the more damning fact is that they continued to use it after they discovered the side effects. I wouldn't doubt they they discovered it by the rogues using them, as a prior raiding rogue I used to make changes, adjust rotations and use items that contributed tiny amounts of DPS, especially on a progression fight.

And while you should certainly make every effort to find and fix all the bugs before launching such a fight, I don't see it being that big a deal that Blizzard missed this. As someone who has worked and played both sides of experiencing, documenting, reproducing, fixing, etc - bugs. It's no surprise to me that of the millions of items and effects in even your standard MMO, let along one that's been running for years, that a few are going to interact in unforeseen ways. It happens and guess what, it will happen again too I guarantee it. It's just the nature of having that much content.

Pengupower

Nov 23, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
You're not alone on being stuck on Festergut, I hate that fight!

OT: Seems so trivial, but going for a record first on such a legendary boss and thinking of cheating is... well... dirty. It cheapens the race to be number one! I find it hard to believe that they couldn't possibly foresee some kind of punishment for their actions.
They've had some acts on past first kills (either as nihilum or ensidia) that have been questionable by some in the community. I'm not commenting on whether these were right or not but just saying it isn't the first time something has come up. Their guild leader is the same person that, when the guild he mentioned about Yogg exploited, could send an email directly to the developer to complain about it. They have an increased level of communication compared to a standard group of players and have received no warnings in the past for similar activities.

I think the reason some people care is it can be fun to follow it like a race just like any other competition. I play some but no where near enough (nor do I want to) to be competing for a world first. It can be fun to cheer for your favorite guild.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Yeah it was real well done! I've never even played WoW and I read it!

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
oppp7 said:
It's hard to understand if you've never messed with programming before.

What happens when these edges are destroyed is that their HP is set to 0. IE, the edges "die" and fall off from the rest of the platform. When the Saronite bombs are used by the rogue they put out aoe Siege damage. This Siege damage hits the edges even though they are dead, effectively sending the HP of the ledges into the negative. Since you obviously can't have something with negative HP the game effectively resets the destroyed edges back to 100% HP, which "ressurects" them and brings them back up to the rest of the platform.

In other words the bombs doing siege damage and pushing the edges into negative HP screws with the game and the only response the game has to that is to put the HP of the edges back at 100%.

OT: I find this whole situation laughable ironic. Ensidia has been known to bash other guilds (Exodus was NOT the first) for exploiting and they finally get caught with their hands in the cookie jar. The most damning evidence in all this is that they KNEW it was a bugged kill (they admit it on their personal blogs) and yet they still posted on their website that they got the World First with no mention whatsoever of the bug.

They never acknowledged they killed him on a bugged attempt until AFTER the the bug was hotfixed by Blizzard. If Ensidia had at least posted the fact that they had killed him on a bugged attempt then I would believe them when they say they didn't know what was causing it, but hiding that fact and only coming clean once they got caught makes them guilty in my eyes.

Edit: Whats also funny is that this type of bug existed back in ToC. Saronite Bombs would reset the floor of the collisuem and it was Ensidia that discovered this bug. So you're telling me they could tell it was Saronite bombs resetting the floor in ToC, but they couldn't figure out it was the bombs resetting the edges in the LK encounter? Gimme a break.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
reminds me of DnD 3.5 edition, with the way some players could create broken characters (like pun pun).. and that some bragged about killing gods. Because if it have stats, we can kill it.

Once you have beaten a god/ultimate boss (like the lich king), what is the point in trying to continue a game? Nothing can be stronger or more challenging.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
So the glitch made it so that the minions weren't nearly as dangerous. That's not very fair then.